Golden µMAX (V2 ) issues and question

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi all,

I'm quite happy with the Golden (v2, new tones) I bought second hand from a friend of mine a few months ago.

In about 30 outings, it has proven to be an outsanding C & J detector, equalling my trusty Classic III SL in the "coins per outings" department.

I have two issues and one coil question.

Issue number one is a faulty Battery chk-all metal-disc toggle. Went back to AZ when my friend noticed it, was fixed for a while but soon re-started to act. Basically, and at times only, the disc mode is coupled with the all metal mode, I get the two working together. I think I will have this repaired here instead of sending it back to the US, but my question here is "has someone have the same isue with a Golden ?" Has it been fixed?

Issue number two is the unit gives the overload audio signal on targets that are discriminated out !!! (e.g iron). Lifting the coil silences the target, but the same goes for non ferrous coin sized/pulltabs near the surface; Issue or normal?

Finally, this unit is a very good jewelry hunting, and I want to buy a smaller coil (have the stock 9x8) to sniff out smaller yellow jewelry.

What is the best pick : 5.75 vs 7" AND Concentric VS Double D...?

Thanks and HH

Grumpy

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sounds like a faulty switch to me. Maybe a shot of cleaner from Radio Shack might do the trick. The Golden will overload on any target that gets too close to the search coil. Whichever search coil that you decide on, make sure it's tuned to the detector for optimum performance. Not only for depth, but how the audio tones react to different targets. Sometimes you can change coils and everything will be OK, but that's not normally the case. I have a 8 inch doughnut coil on my Golden µMax version 2 and it's just the right size for getting good depth and separation. It's one hot unit. It can precisely discriminate out certain pull tabs and still find gold rings. It would take $500 dollars plus to even get me thinking about selling mine. That's how well mine works!

tabman

OP
OP
Olegrumpy

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks Tabman.

A faulty switch seems to be a good indication, I will try the cleaner tip.

As for the coils, I might be wrong, but I think the calibration is only necesary with larger than standard ones. Here, I was thinking of 4" or 5.75" coils. Just not sure about that. Plus I swing dry sand beaches, with absolutely zero mineralisation.

The overload signal when passing discriminated out targets is a bit annoying, but is compensated by the detector's overall performance, which is excellent.

HH

Grumpy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread