GoldStrike, UT?

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone been there, have any information about it?

This is about all I know-
The Goldstrike Mine began gold production in 1989 after Tenneco Mineral’s geologists found anomalous gold values that were sufficient to operate at a profit. USMX purchased the mine from Tenneco in 1995. The ore grade dropped to below profitable levels in 1996 and the mine was scaled back and finally halted in 1997. Final reclamation of the buildings, ponds, heaps, and other infrastructure was completed in 1998. The mine produced 200,000 ounces of gold and a smaller amount of silver from twelve open-pit mined deposits.

I also know its location, and am going to check it out tomarrow. If you have any information, history or anything that would be helpful, or just some cool stories of the area would be nice.

My Grandfather used to work at the old DI Ranch that was located relatively close to the mine, and he said that when they killed and plucked chickens they used to find gold nuggets in them occasionally.

Thanks.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out, george thompson's "Some dreams die' there is some informtion abot Goldstrike in it..Kane23

OP
OP
Drakien

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have that book. But alot has gone on there since the printing of that book. I just got back from there and its really cool. The old mine is long gone :-\ or I just couldnt find it. As for the old buildings that were in the canyon by there, well there isnt any. For just spending a couple hours out there, its not bad.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of prople finding small nuggets out there in the wash's did you do any detecting? I live in cedar city, but have never been to goldstrike. HH kane23

OP
OP
Drakien

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I did a little bit of detecting(didnt find anything) but I spent most the day just messing around on 4-wheelers. I recently moved to West Jordan, so I am no longer in the area, but I want to go back and explore a bit more.

OP
OP
Drakien

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come to find out the Utah Gold Prospectors Club has a claim at Goldstrike! So I am going to join up and get some gold!!!!! :D

OP
OP
Drakien

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol no kidding! I think I will just Sluice and Pan it!. Metal detecting down there probably is not that great.

OP
OP
Drakien

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after hitting up with the Utah Gold prospectors Club down at Goldstrike, there was only one rice sized piece of gold recovered out of the 20 some odd people there. So the gold is scarce. Good luck to all that go there!

OP
OP
Drakien

Drakien

Jul 13, 2005
St George, UT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I figured I would update about Goldstrike.
Most of the area is claimed up by Cadillac Mining out of Canada. They started doing test drilling back in late 2011.
They have since done quite a few core samples. They plan on opening up sometime early this year.
As for the small prospector, there are a few areas that are still accessible for gold.
However, the Utah Gold Club does not have any claims out there anymore, but on the other hand, the (deleted by mod)has access to 160 acres out there. :unhappysmiley:

There is still gold out there too! This is a take from last Wednesday!

560862_4957335527477_405591178_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

curlybat

Jan 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I figured I would update about Goldstrike.
Most of the area is claimed up by Cadillac Mining out of Canada. They started doing test drilling back in late 2011.
They have since done quite a few core samples. They plan on opening up sometime early this year.
As for the small prospector, there are a few areas that are still accessible for gold.
However, the Utah Gold Club does not have any claims out there anymore, but on the other hand, the (deleted by mod) has access to 160 acres out there. :unhappysmiley:

There is still gold out there too! This is a take from last Wednesday!

560862_4957335527477_405591178_n.jpg

Thanks for the update! Yes, I know, this reply is a few years later but ...

You still hanging around here? We've been doing some exploring in the area but haven't made it up that far. I don't think anything became of Cadillac Mining's claims but I don't know for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about the find

Check out, george thompson's "Some dreams die' there is some informtion abot Goldstrike in it..Kane23

A lot of that stuff in that book is not accurate. It was just to sell books!

I have a very knowledgeable friend who knew the author and told me that. This friend of mine probably has an antique collection that would be one of the most amazing collections in the U.S.A. if he came public. Probably 200 to 300 guns pre 1930 ish I would guess, that I have seen and probably has ton more! That's only a very tiny portion of what he has. The owner of one of the oldest major U.S. firearm companies came and saw his collection and was speechless!

How I met him, gained his trust and saw his collection was very cool and humbling. He has told me about things and places (mines, ghost towns, etc) that not a lot of people know about and I have even been to a few and are really cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread