goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went early this morning.....sunrise at the beach again. Somebody has to do it........
Found the usual clad and then.....found 2 aluminum (looked like toe rings) in the hole.
I was thinking...maybe there's more here. Scanned the hole again and found this nice 14k with dark blue sapphires & diamonds.
I am loving this Nokta Fors Core......if it's there.....it makes it easy to find it. Discrimination is great on this machine and it has no problem in dry or wet sand.
4 hours of hunting and it was getting real hot...so decided to call it a day.
On the way out I met "rons1947" and we talked a while. Found out he doesn't live too far from me.
He was heading to the beach with his Excalibur.
Also....met someone else there today and talked with him about diggin big holes in the hardpan and not covering them back up.
He said he didn't think it was necessary since the tide would come in and do that for him. Maybe he doesn't realize that there will be people that will complain about it and cause trouble for future metal detecting on the beaches. That's all we need! He was carrying an Excalibur with an extra long shaft on it.
Please cover your holes ......people could trip in one of them and hurt an ankle.....then there goes digging rights!
Everybody have a great day...........

sunrise3.jpg

ring2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell em to fill his damn holes anyway.
I hate that crap...
Was it in wet sand or was he in water ?

rons1947

Jul 12, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's a really nice find,goldkey.Congratulations. I really enjoyed meeting and talking with you. My finds were only 88 cents and a bit of trash.Then the rain came and ended my hunt. I will be back at the beach again soon.HH everyone.

OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell em to fill his damn holes anyway.
I hate that crap...
Was it in wet sand or was he in water ?

He was in the wet sand and was totally tearing up the beach.
I could tell when I approached him that he didn't want to talk. I insisted and began talking with him anyway.
Some people just don't have respect for others as they invade an area that is to be shared with the public.
My girlfriend was the one who came down the beach and got me and brought it to my attention. I was at the other end of the beach.
There are way too many people walking that area to leave such a mess for them to have to walk around.
I emphasized to him that he would be liable if someone were to trip over one of his holes...and some of them were big holes.
He went on his way down the beach and my girlfriend went back to where he had been and started covering the holes.
What else can you do.....the lifeguard said he couldn't say anything cause he was off duty and that if he were on duty all he could do is suggest that he cover the holes.
He looked to be in his late 50"s.... I was thinking...you should know better than that. I also noticed coke cans dug up and left there as I got down to where he had been.
I looked around and he had left the beach.
Makes everybody look bad.............

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has been an issue on with MDrs for so long...
And it still amazes me...
and pisses me off that people are so stupid.

Filling a hole you dug is common courtesy to fellow mankind.

I mean how stupid can you be to leave crap you dug ?
Don't they know that cleaner grounds are easier and better to hunt.

I have gotten into verbal confrontations over this...
And have no fear of doing it to protect Mding.

Most get the hint and see that I don't give a **** and am not the one to just shake my head.
And I let them know it.

Once a cop wrote a guy a ticket for littering... the guy was pissed.
Cop said that once he picked the trash up he was in possession of it...
and to discard it back onto the ground was littering regardless of how it got to the beach.

PICK UP YOUR TRASH AND FILL IN YOUR HOLES PEOPLE...
OR... GET OFF MY CLOUD.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice find! Congrats....

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave goldkey a like for his/her effort(s) of informing others about why dug holes should be filled up for safety as well as public image issues. If I could, I would of given two likes to the original posting as goldkey took it took this one step further when he took the time to talk to the person who was creating the mess in private – which I am sure was unpleasant and frustrating.

I also gave AARC a like for his strong support of goldkey that dug holes should be filled in.

Two things should be obvious:
1) Limiting our efforts to informing will only take us so far, such as educating rookies, who do not know better.
2) Getting lifeguards and police involved will most likely result in more regulations against metal detecting as getting them involved in enforcement keeps them from doing what they have been hired and need to do.

A better alternative would be a sticky(s) on treasure hunting forums where pictures/videos/descriptions of those creating such messes would be posted, without identifying the poster.

The procedure for removal of such a posting should be at the top of the sticky, so that the pictures/videos/descriptions/vehicles/equipment used could be promptly removed once the offender has satisfactorily corrected or addressed the problem. I strongly believe that this would be the most effective way of protecting our public image. Especially since the characteristic of such offending individuals is that they don’t want to be seen, nor want to tal. The few rotten detectorists who are causing most of the mess, already know better, they justify not filling in their holes to save time/minimize competition from other detectorists.

When you take away their stealth, you will truely see them for what they are!

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave goldkey a like for his/her effort(s) of informing others about why dug holes should be filled up for safety as well as public image issues. If I could, I would of given two likes to the original posting as goldkey took it took this one step further when he took the time to talk to the person who was creating the mess in private – which I am sure was unpleasant and frustrating.

I also gave AARC a like for his strong support of goldkey that dug holes should be filled in.

Two things should be obvious:
1) Limiting our efforts to informing will only take us so far, such as educating rookies, who do not know better.
2) Getting lifeguards and police involved will most likely result in more regulations against metal detecting as getting them involved in enforcement keeps them from doing what they have been hired and need to do.

A better alternative would be a sticky(s) on treasure hunting forums where pictures/videos/descriptions of those creating such messes would be posted, without identifying the poster.

The procedure for removal of such a posting should be at the top of the sticky, so that the pictures/videos/descriptions/vehicles/equipment used could be promptly removed once the offender has satisfactorily corrected or addressed the problem. I strongly believe that this would be the most effective way of protecting our public image. Especially since the characteristic of such offending individuals is that they don’t want to be seen, nor want to tal. The few rotten detectorists who are causing most of the mess, already know better, they justify not filling in their holes to save time/minimize competition from other detectorists.

When you take away their stealth, you will truely see them for what they are!

Well said Sir Gala Clad...
I didn't go into detail about the lifegaurd. It was my girlfriend who didn't know any better than to talk to them, before she came down the beach to where I was,
to tell me about the situation. I also have an idea for these circumstances. A little booklet of "How to instructions" could be easily made up and carried in the pouch for just such occasions. Perhaps it would also be known as the Book of Shame. Shame on you for being stupid!
I don't think that people that do this have any idea how it effects everyone involved in metal detecting. They are only thinking of themselves. I purposely pick up trash laying on the beach when people are around me, so that they see that I am there for more than picking up their lost jewelry and change. I have had people see me do this and comment on how "other" people don't care about how they trash up the beach. I thought about the lifegaurds that were there also and how they had witnessed how that guy had messed up the beach. So...later on as I was detecting I went right out in front of their tent and purposely picked up trash in front of them to show them, that there is a positive purpose for us to be doing this on the beach. They were obviously there for training as there were about 5 of them there. One thing I am going to start doing is taking a bigger bag with me to be able to carry more trash with me, until I can make a dump at the trash cans. The beaches here in Brevard county don't have the trash cans on the beach like some of them do up near Cocoa. Maybe that's something to call and ask the park service about. A lot of the trash winds up in the ocean during the night.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score...did you get the rings in the wet or dry sand?...congrats on the 14k.

OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score...did you get the rings in the wet or dry sand?...congrats on the 14k.

Got it in the dry sand.
I have yet to find anything of value in the wet sand area. Seems to be, that you can go a long way in the wet sand and not get a beep.
I have dug some change in that area down to about 10" deep.....so the machine is working fine.....just few targets in that area for some reason.
I'm sure a lot of the targets are out there in the water and we haven't had any really big waves for a while now to wash anything in.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it in the dry sand.
I have yet to find anything of value in the wet sand area. Seems to be, that you can go a long way in the wet sand and not get a beep.
I have dug some change in that area down to about 10" deep.....so the machine is working fine.....just few targets in that area for some reason.
I'm sure a lot of the targets are out there in the water and we haven't had any really big waves for a while now to wash anything in.
Yeah, I hunt the Cocoa Beach area sometimes and I go so long without a target in the wet sand that I swing my coil over my scoop to make sure my detector is working.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A spare plastic bag tucked away for the big score. I dug up a six pack of cans in one spot and what am I suppose to do now. The person whom exerted such energy to dig such a burial site I can't imagine why thy wouldn't dispose of them properly. {Carry in Carry out}
I dug a folded up can close to shore line and cut my hand taking it to the nearest trash container. I was cursing myself all day for not wearing gloves.

vetusausn

Apr 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true my friends and got permission to hunt on some acreage which produce a wealth of civil war relics but one did the unthinkable left holes uncovered. And the old gentlemen came outside for a walk and broke his ankle. End of story and hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread