πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION Good deed for a veteran

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I was contacted through one of my clubs to assist a gentleman( mike)to find a medallion he had lost. When I met up with him, he told me a very moving story of how it became lost. In March of 1970 his brother was doing his second combat tour in Vietnam, him and his platoon had just cleared a small village they were taking small arms fire from and they were pushing down a small road, his friends M60 had jammed and when he went to clear the weapon it discharged into the ground and the bullet ricocheted off a rock killing him instantly. After his funeral service in April of 1970 Mike buried a saint Christopher medal in the freshly covered grave and forgot about it. Now that mike is getting older, he wanted to tie up loose ends and make a display for his kids and grandkids of his brothers military honors and memorabilia and he contacted me. Anyway, when I met him, we went to the grave ( with permission) and started our search. He had told me that the metal govt’ issue casket was only 4’ down and it really gave off a strong signal on my equinox making it difficult to pin point anything. So after exploring a few isolated high tones I finally found it and handed it to mike and I could see he was visibly moved. He was extremely grateful and offered to buy me lunch, which I declined ( my wife had a list for me) but I did give him a business card and let him know if I can ever help again, just call.

Attachments

• 1A866C96-A407-45AB-A2D5-596985A08D5A.jpeg
    1A866C96-A407-45AB-A2D5-596985A08D5A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 95

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honorable Mention vote! Good on you!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was contacted through one of my clubs to assist a gentleman( mike)to find a medallion he had lost. When I met up with him, he told me a very moving story of how it became lost. In March of 1970 his brother was doing his second combat tour in Vietnam, him and his platoon had just cleared a small village they were taking small arms fire from and they were pushing down a small road, his friends M60 had jammed and when he went to clear the weapon it discharged into the ground and the bullet ricocheted off a rock killing him instantly. After his funeral service in April of 1970 Mike buried a saint Christopher medal in the freshly covered grave and forgot about it. Now that mike is getting older, he wanted to tie up loose ends and make a display for his kids and grandkids of his brothers military honors and memorabilia and he contacted me. Anyway, when I met him, we went to the grave ( with permission) and started our search. He had told me that the metal govt’ issue casket was only 4’ down and it really gave off a strong signal on my equinox making it difficult to pin point anything. So after exploring a few isolated high tones I finally found it and handed it to mike and I could see he was visibly moved. He was extremely grateful and offered to buy me lunch, which I declined ( my wife had a list for me) but I did give him a business card and let him know if I can ever help again, just call.
Very Nice!!! Good Job!!! Congrats!!!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe Thank you for helping him. you are my kind of person

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe I have a question for you. When trying to find that medal and having issues with with the casket. Did you try reducing your sensitivity a little ?
A lot of times if i am looking for a recently lost ring i reduce my sensitivity so i only find shallow. Maybe if you backed the sensitivity down a bit you might have eliminated the coffin

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Gare, I did knock it down to 19 but I had my 15” coil on my equinox so I just listened for variations in tone of the casket. The casket was like having really really loud threshold on if that makes sense

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread