Good Detecting Vacation Spot?

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are looking for a vacation spot for 2022. Usually we go to the Treasure Island area of the Florida panhandle, because our kids love the beach. But with the pandemic and also wanting to detect now, IDK...
What are some of your favorite spots for vacationing, where it's not too expensive, and we can also get in some awesome detecting?
We are from NW MO, usually take about a week-long vacation, and have a 9 and a 12 year old.
Thanks!
John

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We are looking for a vacation spot for 2022. Usually we go to the Treasure Island area of the Florida panhandle, because our kids love the beach. But with the pandemic and also wanting to detect now, IDK...
What are some of your favorite spots for vacationing, where it's not too expensive, and we can also get in some awesome detecting?
We are from NW MO, usually take about a week-long vacation, and have a 9 and a 12 year old.
Thanks!
John
East coast of FL is better then the gulf in my opinion due to better currents and wave actions. Learn to read beaches. South Miami has some great bling, but expensive and not really a family area. Anywhere along the Treasure Coast of FL. google it and it will show you what I am talking about. If you are fortunate you may find gold or silver coins or jewelry from the 1715 fleet where 11 treasure ships were sunk very close to the shore. But the truth is finding pieces on the shore is usually only found after a hurricane or good sized tropical storm that moved or exposed some 1715 fleet treasures. But it is for real. Some beach combers have found gold and silver coins and some spectacular jewelry.

That is where I would go. Hunt in front of public beaches or expensive condos or hotels. Find the public beaches on google earth with the largest parking lots and you will find the most active public beaches in terms of new drops. But you must get a good book and read up on how to read the wet beaches. You must have a detector that will hunt the wet beaches like the Nox 800.

John

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Normally, I would agree that hunting our treasure coast is potentially worth your time. However, recently that area has undergone major re-nourishment and we haven't had any storms to speak of that resulted in significant erosion.
If the re-nourishment effort has taken sand from off shore areas, they may bring some good finds onto the beach. If they get the sand from inland sources however, then you're wasting you time for the most part.

From what I've seen here lately, the sand has been coming by the dump truck load from inland so the Treasure Coast is being buried in many feet of unproductive sand. I'm sure there are some areas of the Treasure Coast that have escaped this project but what I've seen personally is most of the areas I normally hunt are not those exceptions. :dontknow:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they sift the sand when re-nourishing beaches they must be using 'a foot square ' mesh screen.:dontknow::icon_scratch:
002.JPG
001.JPG

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Normally, I would agree that hunting our treasure coast is potentially worth your time. However, recently that area has undergone major re-nourishment and we haven't had any storms to speak of that resulted in significant erosion.
If the re-nourishment effort has taken sand from off shore areas, they may bring some good finds onto the beach. If they get the sand from inland sources however, then you're wasting you time for the most part.

From what I've seen here lately, the sand has been coming by the dump truck load from inland so the Treasure Coast is being buried in many feet of unproductive sand. I'm sure there are some areas of the Treasure Coast that have escaped this project but what I've seen personally is most of the areas I normally hunt are not those exceptions. :dontknow:
Local detectorists always have the latest info. Local detectorist typically don't worry too much about detectorists on vacation. Or at least I would not.

Local detectorists always have the advantage with their ocean beach reading skills, detecting, skills, specialized detectors that are very good at ocean wet beach hunting and a lot more time detecting the beaches.

That does not mean visiting detectorists won't find any good finds, they just won't find as many good finds as the local guys. Good ocean beach hunting/reading skills are easy to learn, but few people who are not local to the ocean beaches take or have the time to learn them.

Get some of Clive Clynick's books on beach hunting if you are interested in learning beach hunting skills. Remember beaches are huge in terms of metal detecting, so don't waste your time on unproductive parts of the ocean beaches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread