GOOD Digger for Cheap?

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using an old shovel and an 8" digger to unearth the treasures (or trash) I have detected, for long enough! The shovel is heeaavy and likely looks bad to property owners. Can anyone recommend a GOOD (compact enough to not scare land owners, short enough to carry, sharp enough for small tree roots, strong enough for moderate prying, etc.) detecting shovel that won't cost me as much as I paid for my Simplex?
Thanks in advance for any assistance!
John

Upvote 0

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where on the internet? I can't locate one for sale at this time.
The post where I replied that Digmasters are available on the internet is dated April 2020. That statement most likely doesn't hold true anymore.

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I would not let a property manager or land owner see me with anything that looked like a shovel.
This is what I use. View attachment 1829180

I dug my first hole on 11/11/2014. Since then I have found enough clad to pay for my detector 3X. The gold and silver jewelry gets thrown into a cigar box. The deepest I have needed to go was 14 inches and then I was looking at the bottom of an aluminum can. This little tool has served me well.

But then, maybe I don't dig where you dig.
Hello,
I'm new and haven't got a digging tool yet. I like the looks of that thing. Can you tell me what it is called and suggest where I might find one?
Thanks

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your looking for a hand digging tool there are many on the market, just look for one at the supporting vendors, I have the Lesche hand digger with the serration on the left side since I dig plugs in a clockwise motion. You get what you pay for. I used to use a cheaper hand digging tool for Lowes but once a friend let me use his Lesche, I was hooked. This was before other Metal detector companies began to make their own.

th (13).jpg

Last edited:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a NX-6, I’m on my third. My first I bent trying to break a root in Virginia ( bad idea, root won) the second one cracked when I hit it against a large stone trying to clean off mud ( another bad idea) but the third one hasn’t been subjected to any bad ideas and still works great!! I think they sell for $110 and are a little heavy but they cut through anything.

Attachments

• 85043684-FA67-40B6-868F-2CE15C8BC144.jpeg
    85043684-FA67-40B6-868F-2CE15C8BC144.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This gets to the goods pretty fast for me if you're on a budget. Allows you to get to the really old stuff thats sunk in and makes filling the holes back in a breeze! Just wear your hardhat and reflective vest while operating and they'll leave you alone:

excavator.jpg

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, here's what I use primarily. Peta Easi Grip
It does great on the trap door plugs I dig on lawns - levers them right open!
petaEasiGrip.JPG

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
I would not let a property manager or land owner see me with anything that looked like a shovel.

I dug my first hole on 11/11/2014. Since then I have found enough clad to pay for my detector 3X. The gold and silver jewelry gets thrown into a cigar box. The deepest I have needed to go was 14 inches and then I was looking at the bottom of an aluminum can. This little tool has served me well.

Any chance you could provide some more information about where I can find this tool? It looks pretty stout.
Thanks

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021

If anyone is curious about this tool, the Company that makes it is called FISKARS. You can buy these online for about $10.00, or at Home Depot for $13.00. They make another digger which is similar but is made out of stainless steel (not aluminum). It has a serrated edge, a sharp edge, a bottle opener and a built in ruler good to 5"

I picked up a Stainless Steel FISKARS digger at Home Depot for $23.00. It is slightly concave,, comes with serrated edge, sharp edge, 5 1/4" ruler to measure depth,wood handle, full tang, carrying sheath and lifetime guarantee. It is a heavy well made tool. If you were lost in the woods and had just this tool and a little bit of savvy, I think you could build yourself a shelter, skin animals and defend yourself against wood zombies.
The aluminum one (pictured above) is $13.00. It is not nearly as rugged, but still looks pretty authoritative.

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
If anyone is curious about this tool, the Company that makes it is called FISKARS. You can buy these online for about $10.00, or at Home Depot for $13.00. They make another digger which is similar but is made out of stainless steel (not aluminum). It has a serrated edge, a sharp edge, a bottle opener and a built in ruler good to 5"

I picked up a Stainless Steel FISKARS digger at Home Depot for $23.00. It is slightly concave,, comes with serrated edge, sharp edge, 5 1/4" ruler to measure depth,wood handle, full tang, carrying sheath and lifetime guarantee. It is a heavy well made tool. If you were lost in the woods and had just this tool and a little bit of savvy, I think you could build yourself a shelter, skin animals and defend yourself against wood zombies.
The aluminum one (pictured above) is $13.00. It is not nearly as rugged, but still looks pretty authoritative.
Here's a picture.
20211116_191459.jpg

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using an old shovel and an 8" digger to unearth the treasures (or trash) I have detected, for long enough! The shovel is heeaavy and likely looks bad to property owners. Can anyone recommend a GOOD (compact enough to not scare land owners, short enough to carry, sharp enough for small tree roots, strong enough for moderate prying, etc.) detecting shovel that won't cost me as much as I paid for my Simplex?
John
lesche i believe is the brand, they are great. probably will cost 60 to 80 dls at ebay.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John
We must be neighbors, I am in Overland Park.

I've gone through several shovels, bent a few and lost one. Now I use the Predator Phoenix shovel. The things I like best about it are 1) by design it digs a pristine plug without compressing the soil on the sides of the hole. 2) I haven't bent it "yet" and have put some serious torque on it. 3) the D shape handle really helps me control my placement to start digging.

I saw it on a YouTube video by Paystreak Superfreak and will probably buy another just as a backup because I don't ever want to be without one again.

HMU if you want to meet up sometime. Peace always, all ways, and HH. Ed

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those military folding shovels are the best, for me anyway small but strong with a serrated edge and pointy , Always handy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread