Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I recently did a reset of my CTX to be back to factory and am absolutely struggling with the silver and coin program. Almost every iron target I have dug has shown up as a good 12-40 something signal with an iron signal. What am I missing? I have the Andy book but figured I would ask here and see if there is a common setting I'm missing. Thank you in advance.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean “with an iron signal” Duke? You’re saying you sweep the target east-west...12-40’s. Turn 90 degrees and same reading. Single audio signal, sounds and acts just like a coin. But you’re digging up iron? Really lay out what is happening in detail so we can right this boat.
Also....stock coil? Auto+3?

OP
OP
S

Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I get both signals at the same time. Stock 11 inch coil and auto+2. I get a nice silver trace as well as an iron trace. I guess I would say that it looks like a good piece of silver next to a nail but when dug, it is just a piece of iron. Hopefully that helps. I can upload an image of what I an seeing tonorrow.

Boondocks

Greenie
Jun 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that same problem all the time. Any thoughts? Same thing, great high tone. Screen shows perfect coin trace 12-38 - 12-44. Perfect iron trace at the bottom right of screen. I dig and get a nail. Now the kicker is nit just wrap around iron but there is only one target and that is the nail. Wasting a huge amount of time and energy digging nails. Help.

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
I have that same problem all the time. Any thoughts? Same thing, great high tone. Screen shows perfect coin trace 12-38 - 12-44. Perfect iron trace at the bottom right of screen. I dig and get a nail. Now the kicker is nit just wrap around iron but there is only one target and that is the nail. Wasting a huge amount of time and energy digging nails. Help.

I've always had this happen with my CTX. I believe it's something we just have to deal with.

CW3

Greenie
Nov 21, 2016
Traverse City,Mi
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, ETRAC, Excaliber II (2), Soverign GT, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You need to try running ferrous coin as a primary search setting. I will give you my setup I've been having good luck running. Credit goes to IDXMonster(Kevin).

I make 2 search patterns. 1 to 28 Ferrous open 32 to 50 conductive open. I also make a discrimination pattern in for each mode. I run an open screen when searching. If I get an iffy target, I can switch to discrimination pattern and see what the target signal does.

Setup number 1 is set to ferrous coin. Audio is combined, the open silver area is set to 1200 khz everything else is set to 75 khz.

Setup number 2 is set to High Trash 50 tones.

Set your user button to previous mode. Now you can hunt in Ferrous coin and switch to High Trash 50 tone by pushing the user button. If you get a good silver signal in Ferrous coin switch to High Trash 50 tone. If it stays high pitch but flat its clad. If it gets louder its silver. In my soil silver dimes lock in at 44 conductive and quarters or larger you better be seeing a lot of 47 conductive numbers or its not silver in High Trash.

Running Ferrous coin will stop a lot of the falsing on Iron.

idx ferris coin.jpg
idx descrim 2.jpg
idx descrim 1.jpg

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to try running ferrous coin as a primary search setting. I will give you my setup I've been having good luck running. Credit goes to IDXMonster(Kevin).

I make 2 search patterns. 1 to 28 Ferrous open 32 to 50 conductive open. I also make a discrimination pattern in for each mode. I run an open screen when searching. If I get an iffy target, I can switch to discrimination pattern and see what the target signal does.

Setup number 1 is set to ferrous coin. Audio is combined, the open silver area is set to 1200 khz everything else is set to 75 khz.

Setup number 2 is set to High Trash 50 tones.

Set your user button to previous mode. Now you can hunt in Ferrous coin and switch to High Trash 50 tone by pushing the user button. If you get a good silver signal in Ferrous coin switch to High Trash 50 tone. If it stays high pitch but flat its clad. If it gets louder its silver. In my soil silver dimes lock in at 44 conductive and quarters or larger you better be seeing a lot of 47 conductive numbers or its not silver in High Trash.

Running Ferrous coin will stop a lot of the falsing on Iron.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Good post here! Also if iron the signal seems to "move around" a bit more while sweeping and pin pointing it. Harder to get exact spot to dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread