Good Silver, But Dude Where's the Gold?!

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in a serious gold drought. I haven't found any gold this year! I am digging everything I possibly can. As the Indian chief said in the movie The Outlaw Josie Wales. "I must endeavor to persevere".

Anyway, the good Lord has given me health and the means to get out and dig, so I am very pleased to be on good silver.

Small sterling uncas heart ring
2 1939D Washington quarters
1937 Merc
3 war nickels
1935 Buffalo
9 wheaties

It's all good... but I am still on the hunt for the elusive gold.

10-15.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 18

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gold is very elusive on land and some of the gold reported found, well it just didn't happen. Most land detectorists go their whole life without a gold coin. A gold ring is easier but you dig thousands of pull tabs and can slaw to achieve it. The best thing I can tell you is, if it wasn't lost were you are searching, you won't find it.

Looks like you are doing good. Time to try the water?

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is very elusive on land and some of the gold reported found, well it just didn't happen. Most land detectorists go their whole life without a gold coin. A gold ring is easier but you dig thousands of pull tabs and can slaw to achieve it. The best thing I can tell you is, if it wasn't lost were you are searching, you won't find it.

Looks like you are doing good. Time to try the water?

You are right, especially digging pull tabs and can slaw to get gold. I get that, and do a pretty good job at digging it all. I primarily hunt lakes and I found more gold during the drought years when they were low; basically I was digging where people were once swimming. Still, I am hunting spots I've had good gold finds. It's there, it's just a matter of sweat equity!

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! We are on that elusive goal to hunt with you. The closest we are getting our gilded buttons. -Lisa & John

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice silver finds! :occasion14:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those would be major finds for one of my hunts........wonderful!!

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold or no gold, that's a great hunt! Congrats on a solid silver haul - I'm sure that gold's just around the corner...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive done ok with gold this year on my at pro if you take some gold and pop tops and practice I have the attack coil!!! On gold the vdi usually wont bounce more than 3 to 4 numbers pop tops will vary from 8 to 15 some times lifting the coil will also tell you pop top tin foil numbers don't bounce much but pop tops always will just a thought Hope you find some great gold soon!!!!!!!!!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Don't give up. I found my last gold, two rings and a huge earring like last November and within a couple weeks of each other, then NOTHING till early September and have found my 2nd gold coin (don't remember the date, there is a previous post), a huge gold ring w diamonds and Saturday a small gold earring. Gold comes in waves?????

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive done ok with gold this year on my at pro if you take some gold and pop tops and practice I have the attack coil!!! On gold the vdi usually wont bounce more than 3 to 4 numbers pop tops will vary from 8 to 15 some times lifting the coil will also tell you pop top tin foil numbers don't bounce much but pop tops always will just a thought Hope you find some great gold soon!!!!!!!!!!!

That's good info. Thanks! My plan of attack is just dig it, but eventually after 3+ hours I am wore out, and I focus on more reliable signals. But the lift the coil idea is a good addition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread