Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rory and Steffon.jpg

I took this picture in May. On the left is Rory my youngest dog, still barely a puppy at that time, and on the right is Steffon, my 10+ -year old big baby.

Monday night, I'd barely walked in the door from work and all three dogs were doing the Mom's Home Happy dance, well Stef didn't actually dance anymore, but he was standing there happily. Suddenly Stef fell over on his side and was gone. Yes, Stef was older. Yes, Stef had hypo-thyroidism and fat tumors for several years. Yes, I knew he was in the winter of his life. But I had no indication he was about to die immediately. All my other pets who died had presented signs that the end was near or that it was time to be put to sleep.

Through the week it hasn't been so bad with the hours spent to dig his grave, work and my other two dogs and one cat. But I find that I've been grieving hard today.

Though Stef was a 9-month old big puppy at the time I adopted him, he was a rescue who had been born on the street and rescued with his Mom and litter mates when he was just a few days old. I got him as a companion to my then only dog Violet as I was working long days at the time.
He wasn't a dominate dog, although he was the biggest dog of all the dogs I've had. He loved being an inside dog but he also loved chasing squirrels. He even caught one once...though Violet immediately took it from him and killed it. When I had to put Violet to sleep, he grieved.

He absolutely hated getting into vehicles, but once in, he enjoyed the ride, especially if that ride included a stop at McDonalds. When we'd go to the Vet's he'd walk all the way in happily, and then immediately want to leave once we got in the door.

He would dry off on command...a trick the folks at the kennel absolutely adored. He loved to sleep on my pillows, but would share when I went to bed. With his thyroid issues he just loved to have his back scratched...I called it scratchy-scratchy.

This summer when it got hot, one of my fans gave out. The new fan was more powerful...and Stef made it clear that he owned the spot right in front of this fan.

I buried him next to Miss Violet. Come spring I'll plant one or two rose bushes over his grave, just like I have over Violet's grave. I know they are with each other waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

Last edited:

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like a very good dog and loyal companion. You'll meet again at the rainbow bridge.

I'm glad he was able to wait til you hot home to see you one last time. I had a cat that passed while I was at work without any hint prior.

I had my gf's cat pass suddenly a hour after my gf left for work. That sucked.

It's never easy losing a friend and family member. Remember the good times.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
525183_302731969794840_151294771605228_740784_2059117345_n.jpg

So sorry about Stef.

Last edited:

Kampnhuntr

Oct 11, 2012
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Amigo II , White's XLT, Fisher Gold Strike, Minelab Pro-Find Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss. It is sooo hard to loose a best friend. :sad10:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
My old kitty is sitting on my desk right now, licking my hand. Five years ago he was given two weeks to live because of fibrosis in his lungs. Ten minutes ago, when he jumped up here, I was unhappy and wished he would get down. Now I am hugging and kissing him and just hoping that when he goes, it is quick and painless...

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry for your loss. They do make us better people don't they.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
So sorry for your loss,
Bill
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. I had felt bad because I had gotten home a few minutes late after stopping by the grocery. But I realize that the excitement of my coming home made his last few moments incredibly happy. For that I am grateful.

My old kitty is sitting on my desk right now, licking my hand. Five years ago he was given two weeks to live because of fibrosis in his lungs. Ten minutes ago, when he jumped up here, I was unhappy and wished he would get down. Now I am hugging and kissing him and just hoping that when he goes, it is quick and painless...

Yeah, our kitties love to get right in the middle of what we are doing. I'm happy that he's survived his illness so long.

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like a very good dog and loyal companion. You'll meet again at the rainbow bridge.

I'm glad he was able to wait til you hot home to see you one last time. I had a cat that passed while I was at work without any hint prior.

I had my gf's cat pass suddenly a hour after my gf left for work. That sucked.

It's never easy losing a friend and family member. Remember the good times.

I'm sorry about both your kitty and your gf's kitty.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 872256

I took this picture in May. On the left is Rory my youngest dog, still barely a puppy at that time, and on the right is Steffon, my 10+ -year old big baby.

Monday night, I'd barely walked in the door from work and all three dogs were doing the Mom's Home Happy dance, well Stef didn't actually dance anymore, but he was standing there happily. Suddenly Stef fell over on his side and was gone. Yes, Stef was older. Yes, Stef had hypo-thyroidism and fat tumors for several years. Yes, I knew he was in the winter of his life. But I had no indication he was about to die immediately. All my other pets who died had presented signs that the end was near or that it was time to be put to sleep.

Through the week it hasn't been so bad with the hours spent to dig his grave, work and my other two dogs and one cat. But I find that I've been grieving hard today.

Though Rory was a 9-month old big puppy at the time I adopted him, he was a rescue who had been born on the street and rescued with his Mom and litter mates when he was just a few days old. I got him as a companion to my then only dog Violet as I was working long days at the time.
He wasn't a dominate dog, although he was the biggest dog of all the dogs I've had. He loved being an inside dog but he also loved chasing squirrels. He even caught one once...though Violet immediately took it from him and killed it. When I had to put Violet to sleep, he grieved.

He absolutely hated getting into vehicles, but once in, he enjoyed the ride, especially if that ride included a stop at McDonalds. When we'd go to the Vet's he'd walk all the way in happily, and then immediately want to leave once we got in the door.

He would dry off on command...a trick the folks at the kennel absolutely adored. He loved to sleep on my pillows, but would share when I went to bed. With his thyroid issues he just loved to have his back scratched...I called it scratchy-scratchy.

This summer when it got hot, one of my fans gave out. The new fan was more powerful...and Stef made it clear that he owned the spot right in front of this fan.

I buried him next to Miss Violet. Come spring I'll plant one or two rose bushes over his grave, just like I have over Violet's grave. I know they are with each other waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

God bless you for all the love you gave Steffon. Don't forget the youngster misses him too and will probably cling to you a lot more. Best wishes...

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
God bless you for all the love you gave Steffon. Don't forget the youngster misses him too and will probably cling to you a lot more. Best wishes...

You nailed that one on the head. I can tell both of my other dogs are different right now. But Rory, aka the youngster, is really being possessive right now. Since he's lap-dog sized he's really taking advantage of lap time. LOL.

On a happier note I snapped a wonderful picture of my cat "Fence Kitty" while she was sleeping on the back of a chair on the porch this afternoon. One of the dogs barked just as I took the picture, which accounts for the adorable look in her eyes.

Fence Kitty Sleeping on Porch.jpg

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so sorry for your loss..sometimes these animals throw a blood clot and just like that..gone!
What a blessing for them, but for those left both human and animal the trauma continues!
a few months ago I lost a four year old kitty to cardiomyopathy, threw a clot and just like that paralyzed from the waist down. No one can ever prepare for these things and we all grieve for a long time...
Again I am sorry this happened in your life...

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your loss. Just about the only unconditional love that really exists in this old world. I have no doubt the Good Lord created them to be a companion to man. Went through a few really rough years a while back after a motorcycle wreck. This little feller did more for my state of mind than words can say. Hope ya soon find another one in need of rescue. Rescues just seems have been at the top of the heap as far as dogs have gone for me.
droid 001.jpg

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Precious!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am so sorry for your loss..sometimes these animals throw a blood clot and just like that..gone!
What a blessing for them, but for those left both human and animal the trauma continues!
a few months ago I lost a four year old kitty to cardiomyopathy, threw a clot and just like that paralyzed from the waist down. No one can ever prepare for these things and we all grieve for a long time...
Again I am sorry this happened in your life...

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Throwing a clot is one thing I realized that might have happened with Stef. I'd seen that happen with people when I was an EMT, and you are right, it drops you like a ton of bricks. Either way he didn't suffer and for that I am very grateful. Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Just about the only unconditional love that really exists in this old world. I have no doubt the Good Lord created them to be a companion to man. Went through a few really rough years a while back after a motorcycle wreck. This little feller did more for my state of mind than words can say. Hope ya soon find another one in need of rescue. Rescues just seems have been at the top of the heap as far as dogs have gone for me.
View attachment 884517

OMG he has such expressive eyes. He's definitely a keeper. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread