Goodmorning. Could someone please help me to identify these rocks that I keep digging up out of my yard. I am located in western MO. Thank you

Spydermonkey

Greenie
Jul 17, 2022
IMG_20220717_080052.jpg IMG_20220717_075941.jpg IMG_20220717_075330.jpg IMG_20220717_080441.jpg IMG_20220717_080852.jpg IMG_20220717_075502.jpg

Upvote 3
OP
OP
S

Spydermonkey

Greenie
Jul 17, 2022
That is slag. Do you live in an old house? Or where there used to be an old house? Probably clinckers
Thank you for the answer. My home was built in 1930. My detached shop was the carriage house. Still have the 3ft wide hand dug red brick lined well too. Cole Younger was born here. Why do you ask the age of the house? If it truly is slag then this was a dumping ground. This rock in the picture is the only other type of rock I've come across. Only reason I started digging I found a void 20ft from well. I've made it 5ft down and to be either a poorly concealed entrance to ? or another well. We will see....

OP
OP
S

Spydermonkey

Greenie
Jul 17, 2022
Thank you for the answer. My home was built in 1930. My detached shop was the carriage house. Still have the 3ft wide hand dug red brick lined well too. Cole Younger was born here. Why do you ask the age of the house? If it truly is slag then this was a dumping ground. This rock in the picture is the only other type of rock I've come across. Only reason I started digging I found a void 20ft from well. I've made it 5ft down and to be either a poorly concealed entrance to ? or another well. We will see....
Sorry forgot to add this picture with last reply. IMG_20220717_174945.jpg

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slag was and still is used in road construction , this was done as a way to get rid of the stuff and make good use of it instead of just dumping it. slag is a waste product of the steel industry and others too I'm sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spydermonkey

Greenie
Jul 17, 2022
Thank you to everyone for the quick answer. I'm happy to have found this site which people enjoy getting out and discovering items, and places that have been lost in time. In the future I will post any finds from here in Missouri., Good luck and be safe to everyone.

OP
OP
S

Spydermonkey

Greenie
Jul 17, 2022
Slag was and still is used in road construction , this was done as a way to get rid of the stuff and make good use of it instead of just dumping it. slag is a waste product of the steel industry and others too I'm sure.
I believe what your saying. I just can not understand why so much is here when there are no steel anything around for 75-100 miles from here., This town is only about 10-12,000 poputlation and has been for the last 35 yrs or so that I can remember. Don't know what it would be doing in this area and so much of it. Puzzling......

OP
OP
S

Spydermonkey

Greenie
Jul 17, 2022
Was there another house there that Cole Younger was born in?
According to the old timers in town my shop/garage out back was the town carriage house. The people that owned it owned alot of land and sold of slowly. The front part of my house was built first and the back half was built/added at a later time. When looking at the floor joist in the basement the front half of house is running vertical and the back half joist are running horizonal all meeting in the middle around chimmey. My house was the first house in town to have indoor plumbing and running water. The old water holding tank is still in the attic. The well is only about 50 ft outside the carriage house but I believe I have come across a possible older well about 25 ft closer. It is not the Cistern as that has be filled in and sits under my deck. It not a hand dug red brick well like the other. It is more like dry stacked flatish stones laid in what seems to be a very large circular shape. and even found a old metal type pipe sticking about 3in long with tightly stacked stones around this old small in diameter pipe. I don't know if it is a well, old wall or rements of a old stone cottage. If it is a well I hope it is filled completely as I am digging from the inside out and downward. We will see.

OP
OP
S

Spydermonkey

Greenie
Jul 17, 2022
Was there another house there that Cole Younger was born in?
My shop/garage was the town carriage house. 50ft away is a old hand dug red brick 3-4ft diam. well. Person that owed this land owned alot of land and slowly sold off plots.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
so... where is the bottle dump? have you found it yet?

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe what your saying. I just can not understand why so much is here when there are no steel anything around for 75-100 miles from here., This town is only about 10-12,000 poputlation and has been for the last 35 yrs or so that I can remember. Don't know what it would be doing in this area and so much of it. Puzzling......
I find slag at a place called Spotswoods furnace. It was owned by Virginia Governor Spotswood. the furnace and iron works were up and running by 1720 . maybe your slag is from a long ago operation you are unaware of.

OP
OP
S

Spydermonkey

Greenie
Jul 17, 2022
I find slag at a place called Spotswoods furnace. It was owned by Virginia Governor Spotswood. the furnace and iron works were up and running by 1720 . maybe your slag is from a long ago operation you are unaware of.
To me that is still fasinating. You just made me remember there is a old mill (converted into a home now) sitting on a creek only 2 blocks from me and I also purchased and received today a book of this towns history. Maybe it will have info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread