Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That story could begin in 1654 when the Jesus Maria de la Limpia ('Capitana') was wrecked off Ecuador.
Partial salvage from the 'Capitana' ended up on board the Maravillas which sank in 1656.
Partial salvage from the Maravillas ended on board the Madama do (not de) Brasil which sank in 1657.
In 1997, a group that I was involved with, salvaged several thousand coins and other Capitana artifacts using my vessel, the R/V Explorer (Roatan).
Don......

OP
OP
W

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful info Mackaydon. Thank you. I have also read of the Capitana/maravilla/ possible “Jupiter wreck” connection. Very interesting stuff. Is there any other “public knowledge” stuff about the Madama? Just general story of how she came to lay where she did. I know it’s bad etiquette to ask specifics.

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
A rumor was started during our initial recovery efforts that our unidentified shipwreck was a salvage vessel that had been working on salvaging the Maravillas. Getting fresh water and food would be easier reaching across the Gulf Stream than "beating" back to grand Bahama Island where supplies would be scant at best. Remember, no motors back in the day.
The actual date range of the coins tells another story however. Most of the coins are dated 1656. Salvage vessels did not carry payroll. If they had savaged coinage it would have been coins minted in 1655 or earlier.

We have some beautiful Spanish Colonial Period coin specimens available for sale if any of you are interested compressed old scattered pattern.JPG New Inlet Position.jpg

OP
OP
W

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for the response capt dom. Easier sailing Going across the stream for provisions; never crossed my mind. Makes sense Especially from a salvage scenario. Anything they retrieved would end back up in St Augustine or Cuba I would suppose for re-shipment back to Spain. Unless of course the pirates got em.

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
Wonder what the wreck site looks like today since Disney took over the Island. We dove on it a couple times in the early 90's after the drug runners abandoned the island. Still a substantial ballast pile there back then. Who positively ID'd the wreck?

OP
OP
W

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^Exactly what im thinking. Sounds like they have a private wreck to themselves. They might be onto something..... Do your research and buy a private island and retire. I’ve actually been to the island years ago on a cruise. How far off the beach is she?

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Given the history of Gorda cay, as we know it.... and what Disney did to "transform" the island....I would be curious...

Mackaydon....we know that Disney dredged and built the Cruise ship pier on the SW side of the Island...and have several reports that during the construction a "wreck" site was not only observed, but multiple instances of specie, and possibly bars, among other things were found and recovered... as Disney dredged the wreck site and destroyed it...all this occuring in 97-98...

Given your earlier posting, can I ask were you on site during that construction, or had you been there prior to the Disney arrival?.. and what are the facts as you know them from someone who was possibly actually there during that time...

ag

OP
OP
W

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d be curious where they “dumped” the dredge material. I’m sure once they realized what was there it was heavily screened and monitored. Not much info online, I just happened to stumble upon the story randomly on a coin website, that’s why I made the post. I wonder if the drug runners knew about it.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^Exactly what im thinking. Sounds like they have a private wreck to themselves. They might be onto something..... Do your research and buy a private island and retire. I’ve actually been to the island years ago on a cruise. How far off the beach is she?

Not to butt in... but Disney does not own the island.

They leased it. Till 2096 I think.

OP
OP
W

WaveJunky757

Jan 31, 2018
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The report I read said it was a 99year lease. Do you think the Bahamians go and “inspect” their leased island? Disney knows what is(or was) found there (at one time) in whatever form. So do the Bahamians.... This is the kinda stuff that interests me. The poor Bahamian government has countless wrecks that are public knowledge , why don’t they do themselves a favor and salvage it themselves? The research has already been done for them.....Or do they but no one talks about it. Or do they just not care one single bit about it.

Last edited:

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
agflit,
I have no history on Gorda Cay.
After we salvaged the Capitana (1654) we went to Capt. Dom's Jupiter site and salvage there in partnership with Dave Horner and Lou Ullian.
Don......

Thanks Mackaydon...I am always interested in your history within the Salvage industry...I always seem to learn something new or intriguing from your posts. Never fails to be a pleasure reading about your work over the past many years!!

ag

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The report I read said it was a 99year lease. Do you think the Bahamians go and “inspect” their leased island? Disney knows what is(or was) found there (at one time) in whatever form. So do the Bahamians.... This is the kinda stuff that interests me. The poor Bahamian government has countless wrecks that are public knowledge , why don’t they do themselves a favor and salvage it themselves? The research has already been done for them.....Or do they but no one talks about it. Or do they just not care one single bit about it.

From what little I do know based on practical experience having only been over to work within the Bahamas 3 times in the last several years...I simply do not believe that the Bahamian government has either the resources or the knowledge to engage in any real search or recovery operations....I also think that the level of corruption prevalent within the political structure has made it impossible to mount any type of meaningful effort...layers and layers of bureaucracy, dept after dept, and multiple people, all requiring a "fee", and buy the time you reach a high enough rung on the ladder, you've spent millions of dollars, months and years, and than....nothing...new government, new depts, new people, and start the process all over again from square one.

Of course...this is just my opinion...I'm sure that the reality is much more streamlined if you just contact the "appropriate" minister or what have you... just ask them... :BangHead:

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
The Gorda Cay wreck has been known about for years. I'm sure Art McKee heard about treasure there which lead him to recovered silver bars in the 50's. Sandy Point, Abaco is not far away, and locals have dove on it over the years. They told us some interesting stories of cannons etc. related to the wreck. I'm sure most was salvaged long ago, though some coins were still being found in the 90's.

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
Knew I had it somewhere, but for anyone interested, the PLVS VLTRA Newsletter Vol. 20. No.3 -3rd Quarter 2002, has a great story on the Gorda Cay silver bars along with photos. Art McKee actually found his bars in 1949. The Smithsonian supposedly has one of his bars, but couldn't find it when article was written.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread