Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went for a quick look, found a few things. The serrated one is a first for the site. I noticed what looked like a straight edge in the dirt on the side of the hole when I sat down and pulled it out before moving a single scoop of dirt. As far as type it’s hard to say looks more broken on a serration than a chip off of a base.
IMG_3223.jpeg
IMG_3227.jpeg
IMG_3228.jpeg
IMG_3229.jpeg
IMG_3230.jpeg
IMG_3232.jpeg

Next I’d call a busted preform or blank, it was kicked out of a hole from something burrowing under a rock.
IMG_3234.jpeg
IMG_3236.jpeg

Then for the good stuff, this guy popped up in a scoop from under a large rock. It’s another new form from this site. The form is perfect, unfortunately it’s got some buildup on it… still thrilled to rescue it. Id eludes me for the moment, the best fits are from the northern plains up near and into Canada. A fun interpretation would be a hunting or war party making a deep push south from near Canada down into southeast Kansas and nearly Oklahoma.
IMG_3211.jpeg
IMG_3213.jpeg
IMG_3212.jpeg
IMG_3218.jpeg
IMG_3217.jpeg
IMG_3215.jpeg
IMG_3221.jpeg
IMG_3251.jpeg
IMG_3252.jpeg

Upvote 9

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
nice finds.
the image of the shield nickle amd the point when viewed at that angle looks like a Hardaway.

congratulations on the finds

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little point does have some old characteristics, going by the latest overstreet guide, I didn’t see any great matches in the two regions that overlap my area, north central and south central, so I looked at the northern plains section and there were a bunch of good fits but they were all found basically on the Canadian border… could just be an unusual washita but I just don’t get that feel from it. My biggest hang up with considering archaic types and older is size, if the shield nickel isn’t familiar here’s a pic on the tip of my index finger
IMG_3277.jpeg

The white one I would be all over a drill except for the serrations, to my knowledge a serrated drill wouldn’t do so good but I could also be wrong.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I doubt that white one is a drill. Serrations would not be expected. Nor would an impact fracture from the tip. That one was made to cause massive blood loss. (IMO)

The tiny bifurcated point (cool find!) seems similar to the Morris Projectile Point of Missouri. Note specifically, the 3 u-shaped notches.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the morris, similar time frame, possible cultural association with caddo and not unreasonably far out of range, blue dot roughly where it was found… morris just might be the answer.
IMG_3279.jpeg

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oxbow looks good too, thanks. Seems to be one of those types with lots of regional names

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread