Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!

DDLoopscreamer81

Apr 23, 2018
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2C965467-B1BC-44D5-8015-2E8D4F015EC5.jpeg D4DD5D54-71FA-4DE7-8371-D93669A48853.jpeg what is this??? It hit from about 10" deep with my Equi. 600 please someone help!!!!???

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok so i did a s.g. on some of the rock and yes u are 100% correct about false reading, especially on raw material. But when s.g. weighing is involved there's no way to misidentify minerals, unless major impurities or inclusions, am I correct? None the less none of which came up as 2.65s.g.(quartz) they came up as 2.62(albite) and 2.7-2.81 which I would suspect to be beryl family. How do I gain more Knowledge and/or ability to know what I have so I can sell anything

Impurities, human error. That happens when doing SG. Typically, you'd weight the stone 3 times and average out the numbers to reduce error.
You also need a good scale for it to work.

Take a gemology or geology class to be able to ID what you wish to sell. Read books. Join a lapidary/rock hound group.

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't see 'em. Tried crushing and panning some? Or even take some dirt from the floor and pan.

I had to down size the photo significantly to load it up, but theres looks to be wire gold and flecks, I'm going to scrape up the floor and bring it home in some buckets and see whats in the pan

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had to down size the photo significantly to load it up, but theres looks to be wire gold and flecks, I'm going to scrape up the floor and bring it home in some buckets and see whats in the pan

Assuming the picture is inside a mine then a little broom and shovel work (housekeeping) could possibly yield some good results providing that is a gold mine.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Bldr

Apr 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The picture looks like lava. There was a "very explosive" volcano in the Austin area so maybe it is a lava bomb that was ejected from that volcano or maybe a closer one that long ago eroded totally away. Check this link or google volcanoes in texas. https://www.google.com/search?q=anc...ome..69i57.16405j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Also this one. https://www.google.com/search?q=lav.....69i57j0l5.9781j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Austin is about 90 miles away and it's actually heavy to be a lava bomb.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well...Austin would be about 90 miles away and it's quite heavy and dense to be a lava bomb.

I said "or maybe a closer one". This link lends some credence as a line of some 200 volcanoes extended into the San Antonio area. History of the Earth: November 19. Volcanoes in Texas. I'm far from being an expert but, to me, it does look like lava in the pictures be it a "lava bomb", splatter or just part of a flow. Just for fun check it with a strong magnet to see if it is attracted to it. That is an indication that it may contain magnetite (as mentioned in the link) or some other iron mineral. At least that should narrow it down for you.

Last edited:

Sally888

May 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys ànd gals! From Ontario Canada. Broke this guy open. Thought just quartz but theres very shiny silver in it too. Pyrite?
Mirror like finish. Blue is only reflecting my shirt. Any help with what?
Thanks
Screenshot_20180501-195736_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180501-195743_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180501_194929_739.jpg
    IMG_20180501_194929_739.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Bgonleif

Nov 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So as for weighing, triple checking and making sure that the s.g. is correct, I have and continue to recheck the minerals. Between impurities and erroneous scales, and my probablity of miscalculation. I continue to do it the scientific way, test, retest until there is a trend. But as far as getting into classes/able to have someone else check it /a way to get the information besides by my own studying online and trial and error, I have no easy way to get it out there and be able to sell/identify what I have and be positive so I can make money. But if I'm on the right track I would hope that with time patience and understanding I would be at "the top of my game". I just don't have the ability to get outta town to get to a professional opinion or the confidence to put it online without credentials and make something more than a few dollars at a time. I hate complaining, asking for help when not necessary, or speaking about my problems, but we have (my wife and myself) have no vehicle, no money, living off the grid around Mt. Shasta, around a bunch of beautiful minerals, which we love, and hope to make even a little bit of a living from the land around us, and by something we enjoy. And it's minerals, hell they are so awesome!

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So as for weighing, triple checking and making sure that the s.g. is correct, I have and continue to recheck the minerals. Between impurities and erroneous scales, and my probablity of miscalculation. I continue to do it the scientific way, test, retest until there is a trend. But as far as getting into classes/able to have someone else check it /a way to get the information besides by my own studying online and trial and error, I have no easy way to get it out there and be able to sell/identify what I have and be positive so I can make money. But if I'm on the right track I would hope that with time patience and understanding I would be at "the top of my game". I just don't have the ability to get outta town to get to a professional opinion or the confidence to put it online without credentials and make something more than a few dollars at a time. I hate complaining, asking for help when not necessary, or speaking about my problems, but we have (my wife and myself) have no vehicle, no money, living off the grid around Mt. Shasta, around a bunch of beautiful minerals, which we love, and hope to make even a little bit of a living from the land around us, and by something we enjoy. And it's minerals, hell they are so awesome!

Good.

You can go the self-taught road. However, it'll cost you at first, it'll also take a decent while to learn.
You should expect near 1 year to get the basics and some field experience.
This just about requires a helping hand or literature if the other options aren't there, as much as a healthy degree of passion.
A few book tips:
Gemmology by Peter Read
Prospecting for gemstones & minerals - John Sinkankas

Further tips:
The Gemology Projecthttp://www.treasurenet.com/forums/rocks-gems/527975-rocks-minerals.html
Mindat

Also, minerals are harder to sell then you might believe, with or without credentials. Unless you're a half-way decent salesman.
Shasta? Wasn't there a goldmine nearby?

crystalraye0379

May 4, 2018
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help identifying this rock. Found near Loveland Pass in Colorado. Heavy and hard to break with hammer. New to all this so if there is anything else you need to know to help identify it let me know. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525495957.219872.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525495967.765414.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525495976.653486.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525495985.458039.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525495996.712740.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525496008.169523.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525496020.142208.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525496033.290131.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525496046.855610.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525496059.033233.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525496068.282991.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525496077.745696.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525496095.287610.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525496106.576848.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1525496119.572262.jpg

Bgonleif

Nov 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there are tons of old gold mines around mt shasta but no one locally speaking are interested in any of the local minerals nor is anybody willing to attest to somebody actually having gold. I've even gone into local jeweler / mineral shops and they are not truthful whatsoever about gold. I know that I have found and have gold in concentrates but to repurpose into one button or separate out other minerals is quite an impossible task without any money. But on another note I have collected minerals for a solid year if not longer as well as have past experience in Northern California alluvial Jade hunting on a private claim. So, this is not a new experience for me nor something extraneous, but something enjoyable for filling and quite a challenge which I am needing in my life. Although not needing the financial distress I am under, although life is full of that. As for doing actual reading and literature I have been able to acquire quite a bit on minerals and mineral ization. It's quite hard to find anything with distinguishable pictures or that matchup, it doesn't seem as though there is much localized, literature, people who are willing to talk about or show anything. So I have done all of this on my own understanding and enjoyment of gems and minerals. As for Cinnabar I did not believe Cinnabar to be in that specific gravity range but have not yet looked into it will do so this evening

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions