Got my permit today.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Today I received my permit for Underwater Exploration of Virginian Waterways using a metal detector and magnet. So now I just need to put it to use!
Currently, water too dang COLD! HH! Good Luck! Have FUN! :coffee2:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, too danged cold!!!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring ice skates :) 009.JPG

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you go about getting it? Is it a one time thing or something you have to renew annually?

OP
OP
A

AJH

Jan 10, 2021
Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Bounty Hunter
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did you go about getting it? Is it a one time thing or something you have to renew annually?

I emailed [email protected] and let him know what permit I wanted. He emailed me back right away asking my name, address, what I would be using to explore with (I said metal detector and magnet) and said they would email me a rough draft to verify my personal information. Seven days later he emailed me the rough draft, I approved it and acknowledged I read the rules and paid $25 online and had my permit minutes after paying. It is annual.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never heard of such a thing. Are there any other states that require this?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
SML has MANY underwater "sites" from building "The Lake"; start THERE! "Google" SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE... building "The LAKE"; LOTS of history!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I received my permit for Underwater Exploration of Virginian Waterways using a metal detector and magnet. So now I just need to put it to use!

So is this something new they just came out with for "metal detecting waterways" in Va.??? And, you are aware of this,Right ? 001.JPG

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've hit SML a number of times. Yes, I did need to get a permit for it, but haven't been there in about 5 years. I found some goodies, and did find two class rings which I returned. One guy grabbed it out of my hand and said "I thought I lost it". Danged guy said NO word of thanks....

Really made me angry, but I didn't display that - just put it off to the fact this world is full of butt holes to date!

OP
OP
A

AJH

Jan 10, 2021
Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Bounty Hunter
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So is this something new they just came out with for "metal detecting waterways" in Va.??? And, you are aware of this,Right ? View attachment 1901027

From what I have seen the permit is not a new thing. It has been around for a few years. I have seen what you refer to in the picture about the water line. I got the permit because it only cost $25 and it specifically states I will be using a metal detector and magnet. I look at it as another way to cover me.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
You are supposed to buy a permit to “hike” in Colorado if you don’t have a fishing or hunting license. In years past, a duck stamp, migratory bird hunting stamp, was also a pass to federal parks. That doesn’t work anymore either...

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are supposed to buy a permit to “hike” in Colorado if you don’t have a fishing or hunting license. In years past, a duck stamp, migratory bird hunting stamp, was also a pass to federal parks. That doesn’t work anymore either...

Every state has different laws concerning the issue .And some counties w/in those states differ, vastly.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I've hit SML a number of times. Yes, I did need to get a permit for it, but haven't been there in about 5 years. I found some goodies, and did find two class rings which I returned. One guy grabbed it out of my hand and said "I thought I lost it". Danged guy said NO word of thanks....

Really made me angry, but I didn't display that - just put it off to the fact this world is full of butt holes to date!
LOL!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I emailed [email protected] and let him know what permit I wanted. He emailed me back right away asking my name, address, what I would be using to explore with (I said metal detector and magnet) and said they would email me a rough draft to verify my personal information. Seven days later he emailed me the rough draft, I approved it and acknowledged I read the rules and paid $25 online and had my permit minutes after paying. It is annual.
Sent Tony and email and he answered right up! Thanks for the gouge my permit is on its way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread