Got some Sterling and cutco. Need some help.

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went to an estate sale. Was the first one there. Got a whole box of plated stuff for $10 because I saw the Sterling weighted candle sticks and shakers.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466175177.764554.jpg
Should I just tear all the silver off of them? One of the shakers is missing the lid.

Also got this in the same box. From the crowns I can tell it is from Sweden but can't tell if it is Silver or not. Any help?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466175251.614159.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466175261.702845.jpg

Also got these 3 cutco knives for $1 each and all the jewelry was 50 cents each.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466175308.601494.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466175320.132220.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466175331.252359.jpg
All the jewelry is silver. Any clue what to sell those one that look like cogs as?

Thanks for your help!!

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the jewelry is silver. Any clue what to sell those one that look like cogs as?

The little cogs are Delft jewelry (popular with tourists) -- and I really like the Southwestern turquoise earrings.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can tell ya the Sterling Turquoise Earrings... are worth a few bucks.
Not only are they nice...
They are in demand.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I run into cutco about once a month. I save it up until I have about 10 items, I send them in for "Sharpening" which often means replacement or at least rehabilitation of the handles. Once they are returned, they can be sold as factory refurbished. You'll get a much better price for them.

OP
OP
ethanfez

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run into cutco about once a month. I save it up until I have about 10 items, I send them in for "Sharpening" which often means replacement or at least rehabilitation of the handles. Once they are returned, they can be sold as factory refurbished. You'll get a much better price for them.

I'm up to about 6 pieces now. These are the first knives I have gotten which is nice. Two of them should fetch $50 each while the other should get $30! crazy stuff!!

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a brief stint selling cutco knives as a young man. I ended up buying the display kit I used from them, which contained a few knives, a couple of which are the outside ones in your pic above. Some selling points that may be worth mentioning are that these are full tang knives meaning the blade material runs the entire length of the handle, and the handles are made from the same material as bowling balls. :)

I've had mine nearly 20 years and never had them sharpened, they still all look brand new. my favorite piece from them is called a spatula spreader. It's a small rounded end spatula with a serrated knife edge on one side. Perfect tool for making your favorite sandwich and cutting it in half afterwards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ethanfez

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a brief stint selling cutco knives as a young man. I ended up buying the display kit I used from them, which contained a few knives, a couple of which are the outside ones in your pic above. Some selling points that may be worth mentioning are that these are full tang knives meaning the blade material runs the entire length of the handle, and the handles are made from the same material as bowling balls. :)

I've had mine nearly 20 years and never had them sharpened, they still all look brand new. my favorite piece from them is called a spatula spreader. It's a small rounded end spatula with a serrated knife edge on one side. Perfect tool for making your favorite sandwich and cutting it in half afterwards.

My ex sold them so I know a good bit about them. She was jealous when I told her what I paid. As for the tang part I make knives so I definitely know the importance of a full tang. Every time I pick up the large one it surprises me how huge it is. It could be used to fighting it is so big! I'm a pretty big dude but the knife dwarfs my hand. Any clue why the handle on that one is so large?

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never been a fan of their knives but i love finding them at garage/estate sales. Some people love them and the customer service/sharpening service is worth more to others then it is to me.

I remember being at my Uncles house one day, (he wanted to see my newest kitchen knife i had purchased) and my wonderful aunt had decided to let the neighbors son come over to do his Cutco sales pitch. She wasn't going to buy it but he was nervous so she offered an audience for him to practice. He was selling them in order to raise money so he could attend culinary school. Once he finished his pitch, he was angling for me to buy some but i had to decline since i already had some excellent chef knives.

It turned out he was also selling Cutco to raise money to purchase a set of quality kitchen knives...the exact same ones i had come to shown my uncle. I let him play with them and actually cut up some veggies/meat which is a whole lot more then what the retailers will let you do. He didn't mind not making a sale, handling his dream knives was more then enough compensation for the time expended.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread