Got the dredge out

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A0F74434-C22A-4959-B677-7F2BE5356795.jpeg
Thanks to those who helped with questions on the old 3” dredge last year. Snagged a couple kids kayaks off craigslist that made perfect floats. Unfortunately, the old Briggs starts leaking oil around a head bolt. Tried replacing the head gasket over the winter but started leaking again after running a couple days. On the look out for a 4” dredge or honda engine. But packed it into a canyon, and got a little gold. Snowmelt has the rivers high now but hopefully get it out again soon.

OP
OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old dredge evolves:

So I found a spot that would ship GX160 up to AK, and the Keene P-150 bolted right up to it. Runs much better than the B&S.

Then I found an older Keene 3” jet flare dredge with the black flare and classifier screen, and a T-80 for a deal. The newer clear hose seemed to make
Much more suction than the old grey corrugated hose on the old set-up. Have to work on a new frame set up for the floats or kayaks.

But made it out and got a little gold breaking apart bedrock before heavy rains raised the creek and it got muddy. Found one super flat 1/4” flake in an area known for super fine gold so that was exciting.

Attachments

• 4C93C7FB-A25B-4270-96EE-F9E40F7069E6.jpeg
    4C93C7FB-A25B-4270-96EE-F9E40F7069E6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • B1837C57-957D-4A9E-A1F0-12F5503732E2.jpeg
    B1837C57-957D-4A9E-A1F0-12F5503732E2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
OP
OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I didn’t like was the way the jet log and flare connected. There is a slightly smaller metal fitting the 3” jetlog slides over, then I have a runber hose that slides over the black flare and fits with a hose clamp. Seems I would get plug ups where that smaller pipe connection is.

I may try to remove it, I think it will slide out of the plastic. Not sure if it is needed to guve the end of the jet flare strength though. Any thoughts?

Live the one screen classifier in the upper part of the sluice, the box looked really good running and held very few rocks greater than a 1/2”. The crashbox seemed to catch more of those large flat slate rocks in the riffles and couldn’t clear them. With this they seem to slide off the woven wire and float on out without a chance to get caught up. Seems like a great compromise between the heavier new three stage box and the crashbox in finer gold areas.

Attachments

• C078194B-F659-45E5-BCAC-D36BC1F848AD.jpeg
    C078194B-F659-45E5-BCAC-D36BC1F848AD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One thing I didn’t like was the way the jet log and flare connected. There is a slightly smaller metal fitting the 3” jetlog slides over, then I have a runber hose that slides over the black flare and fits with a hose clamp. Seems I would get plug ups where that smaller pipe connection is.

I may try to remove it, I think it will slide out of the plastic. Not sure if it is needed to guve the end of the jet flare strength though. Any thoughts?

Live the one screen classifier in the upper part of the sluice, the box looked really good running and held very few rocks greater than a 1/2”. The crashbox seemed to catch more of those large flat slate rocks in the riffles and couldn’t clear them. With this they seem to slide off the woven wire and float on out without a chance to get caught up. Seems like a great compromise between the heavier new three stage box and the crashbox in finer gold areas.
Not sure if this is the case but my old Keene dredge came with a piece of pipe to stick in the header to attach the suction hose when using a suction nozzle, if this is the case you should be able to pull that out and insert your power jet.

OP
OP
A

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this is the case but my old Keene dredge came with a piece of pipe to stick in the header to attach the suction hose when using a suction nozzle, if this is the case you should be able to pull that out and insert your power jet.
Yes, that makes sense, it came with a suction nozzle but it had a 2” connection and my pump is 1 1/2” so haven’t picked up an adapter yet. Thanks!

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
He Squatch, are you on the Kenai Peninsula? That canyon wall material looks kinda familiar. I'm partners on a claim on Canyon Creek not far above the bridge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread