Gottfried Petrasch and Peters Canyon

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello LDWhitney. if you use the search bar in the top right corner of tnet, and type his name there. all the articles and information are there.., but to answer your question, yes those canyons are named after him.. his role was, he was one of the first dutch hunters..

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing a little research here and I wonder if none can verify something for me. I read the Peter's Canyon and Peter's Mesa in the Superstitions are named after Gottfired "Peter" Petrasch, the father of Rhiney and Hermann Petrasch.

Is this true?

What part did "Peter" have to play in the saga of the Lost Dutchman?
Gottfreid Petrasch was the father of Rhinehart and Herman Petrasch and searched for the Lost Dutchman Mine with Julia Thomas in 1892.

Gottfreid worked as a range hand for Jim Bark at the Quarter Circle U ranch and established two line camps. One at the head of Indian Springs canyon and one on Peters Mesa near Pistol canyon.

Peters canyon, Peters creek and Peters trail are named for Gottfreid Petrasch who was known as old Pete.

When the US topo maps were updated with many sites being named and renamed, the people in charge thought Pete's canyon was short for the name Peter and named everything "Peters".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions