GPS device to enter exact coordinates and have it take you there - Android?

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

I would like to find a device or an app with android that will allow me to enter exact coordinates before I start out in the woods and have it direct me exactly to that location I entered earlier. I'm not looking to find a place and then make a note of where I am, I'm wanting to find a place on Google earth and enter those coordinate details so I can go exactly to that place when I start walking.

Ideal would be to be able to save several coordinates so when I am through with one place, I can select & move on to another.

I have an Android cell so an app that does this would be convenient.

Any suggestions?

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't used this functionality exactly, so I can't provide full instructions.....

On backcountry Navigator, you can mark a waypoint.....and then edit the coordinates and name to what you want, and use the "go to" function. i have hundreds of waypoints, I know it will do multiples.

Also, it may seem silly, but a geocaching app called Cgeo will also let you enter coorsinates, then guide you to it.

Both are free in the Android App Store.

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't used this functionality exactly, so I can't provide full instructions.....

On backcountry Navigator, you can mark a waypoint.....and then edit the coordinates and name to what you want, and use the "go to" function. i have hundreds of waypoints, I know it will do multiples.

Also, it may seem silly, but a geocaching app called Cgeo will also let you enter coordinates, then guide you to it.

Both are free in the Android App Store.

That might be perfect. Before I add something to my already overloaded app list does it allow you to enter four two digit coordinates for both North & west?

I was doing some searches and found on Google Earth a specific tree with a round path deep around it in the woods. Something happened there and I would like to go exactly to that tree and detect. Google Earth gives you that exact 12 34 56 78N & 98 76 54 32W coordinates and I want to be that specific. Do either of these allow that accuracy?

Thanks!

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand what you're doing.

You can change the format of the coordinates on both Google Earth, and the waypoint you enter into either app to be the same for this use.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How exact? Garmin has several that have a 95% accuracy to get you within about a 16 ft diameter circle of where you want to be.

BUT, if you enter degree, minutes and seconds . . . one second is 90 ft of distance - so you would be somewhere within an 8,000 square foot box. Still pretty large

OP
OP
K

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A#1, Thanks, I'll look into what the coordinate changes come out to be and how to input them. I need to see if doing so loses any accuracy

Charlie, I understand. If you use Google Earth and enter 40 41' 19.81N 74 02' 39.17W it will take you to the outer tip of the S.E. corner of the largest triangle walkway at the Statue Of Liberty. That is within a 3' square foot area, I'm hoping to find accuracy like this so I can pinpoint exact places. Using Google Earth on the phone won't help much, it won't show you where you are in relationship to your target. Maybe the Garmin is the way to go. Hopefully they don't drop ads like the older GPS for the car did.

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont see how you would lose accuracy by just changing the format. It would be the same coordinates, just displayed differently. I dont mean calculating it, change it in the program settings.

Also as i thought about it. Backcountry navigator can display satellite images instead of maps. Find your spot, mark it, and go......no need to enter anything.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
You can also look up by coordinates on Google Maps, create a route (basically the same idea as waypoints), and then send the route to your phone and use the Google Maps app. I've been able to successfully Geocache and Letter Box using that technique. This of course assumes that you are not in such a remote area as to not have cell service. I believe the error rate for cell location is +/- 15 ft, but that can be pared down more if there is wifi anywhere around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread