GPS on the CTX 3030- how would you rate it?

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

This message is geared toward experienced users of the CTX 3030. Eventually I see myself upgrading to it from my AT Pro. However, in the meantime, I really need a decent GPS unit for the jungle and savannah areas I hunt in different countries. So my question is this- Does the GPS function on the CTX 3030 work as well as a high functioning hand-held Garmon GPS? Because if it does, I might hold off on purchasing a $300-$500 handheld GPS device and get the CTX 3030.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Works great. I use it to return to productive find spots

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine works really well and interfaces with google earth- does lots of cool stuff.

You need to have a CLEAR view of the sky- for ANY GPS device to function.

The more overhead cover you have, the less it will work.

I've been in triple canopy jungle where you get zero signal from the satellites.

The wooded and forested areas can give you reduced satellite coverage and the error rate increases with decreased accuracy.

Open savannas will be no problem.

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705 and CTX 3030. Garrett Pro Pointer and Garrett AT pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's about as accurate as any regular handheld GPS and as close as 20-35 feet repeat accuracy. I just never seem to use it but can see where it might have application in certain areas.

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to those who provided feedback. I was thinking of buying the hand-held Garmin GPSMAP Unit 64ST (http://amzn.com/B00HWL9BQ4) but perhaps the best route to take is to wait a few more months and put the money toward a new CTX 3030? Would the GPS on the CTX 3030 compare to this model Garmin?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GPS works great. It's equivilent to any other consumer grade GPS. Most of the time it will get you to within a couple feet of a previously marked spot, but it can be 5 - 10 feet on a bad day. So far, it's always been good for me, and I use it a lot.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mine a ton for mapping finds of large fields. It can really help put the pieces of a site in focus.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Also great for gridding in the surf...

OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again, guys. I think I'll buy the handheld, also, since I'll be using it for one purpose and then eventually the GPS on the CTX 3030 for another. Obviously, with the CTX 3030 GPS, I'll be able to document a grid search and where I made specific finds. I'll require a handheld to document my route to the places I explore since sometimes I have to hike for hours to get to them (and I carry a huge backpack with my detector broken down inside and full of other supplies). Certainly don't want to carry the metal detector the whole way to these places, not to mention run down the batteries.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Here is how I would rate it:

So. I was hunting at night, without a headlamp. Not finding much. I zigzagged up and down the shoreline, in and out of the water. Finally. Two signals. Problem.

It was too turbulent and dark for me to get both signals. I could only scoop one, and take it back to shore. About 30-40 feet in. At least. So I marked the spot where the second signal was. And after I got the first silver dime, I went and got the other signal no problem. It led me right on top of it. It was another silver dime.

That was it for that night.

It works pretty good. As far as leading one to a spot in a mixed state of darkness and disorientation, its as good as it gets. One problem that plagues a beach hunter is losing signals beyond the surf. Its easy enough to mark your spot with it.

I don't know how it compares to the gps your talking about though. -Joe

Hi All,

This message is geared toward experienced users of the CTX 3030. Eventually I see myself upgrading to it from my AT Pro. However, in the meantime, I really need a decent GPS unit for the jungle and savannah areas I hunt in different countries. So my question is this- Does the GPS function on the CTX 3030 work as well as a high functioning hand-held Garmon GPS? Because if it does, I might hold off on purchasing a $300-$500 handheld GPS device and get the CTX 3030.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions