GPX-5000 timing question

garikfox

May 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Detector(s) used
EQ800, GM1000, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been reading and it seems certain timings are better with a certain type of coil. i.e DD or Mono.

Mono is best with Fine, enhance and Sen Smooth. And DD coils are best with Normal to Relic.

My question is, Is their any legitimacy to this below picture?

82bc.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole suitability with DD vs. Mono has to do with what thise timings are used for. You can't really use the table "in isolation" as there is an implied assumption as to why you are using a particular timing. Coin/Relic has minimal ground compensation, therefore, it is going to be the deepest in non-mineralized ground. Also, the presumption is that you will want to be able to make use of iron rejection if relic/coin hunting, which is only possible using a DD coil. That is why that column does not indicate anything for the Mono coil suitability. The DD coil is standard and can be used with any timing. ML seems to imply the Mono coil is good for the less aggressive timings to the right. I think all that is going on there is that you start becoming depth limited in highly mineralized ground so the mono coil gives you maximum depth vs. the DD. Does that mean a mono coil cannot be used for the more aggressive soil timings on the left? No. But if you also want iron rejection there, a mono will not give you that.

Note also that coil size matters as well as your intended target composition (not just size) and neither of those consideratilns are mentikned in the table. Fir more detailed information go to the website printed on the top of the chart where that inage was lifted from.

Last edited:

InAustralia.Jones

Mar 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
MineLab - GP3000, GPX4500, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Detectors are great.

It's a pity 95% of people that purchase them really don't know how to use them properly. I see it all the time out on the gold fields.

People don't understand the settings or the Timings, they either leave them on the Factory setting or search the internet for the perfect settings and Timings (These are the people i see out there all the Time) and all they do is complain, Oh this machine is noisy or i can't seem to get it to operate quietly, this ground is to noisy and so on.....

The best coils for the GPX series is Mono hands down. Mono coils from 8 inch through to like what i use 18, 22, 24 and 28 inch, very rare that i will use a small coil.

With my GPX 4500 fitted with a 22 inch Nugget Finder Mono coil, I have set it up near perfect for very noisy ground, it operates very smooth and only noise you hear is when it runs over a target.

I've picked up a 5 ounce slug a meter down and a 1/2 gram 15mm down, same settings, same coil. I'm not quite sure how deep it will detect that would depend on the target size. My GP 3000 fitted with a 18 inch coiltek DD found me a 4.5 ounce slug 1.3 meters deep, similar with my 5000.

What i suggest is read the Manual and understand it, forget advertised settings and especially the ones they make you pay for - these idiots have no idea and probably don't even own or have used a Minelab detector.

I've owned and have been using Minelab since the SD series, They only operate to full potential if you understand how they operate and what all the setting and timings are for. Most people buy them go out without setting them up properly then do more complaining than detecting, then put the detector away, until next time, then it all starts again.

My advice here is study the operators manual while having the detector with you. More advice - forget the "Enhance" setting! Over here we have all ground types and probably the most noisiest ground in the world.

OP
OP
garikfox

garikfox

May 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Detector(s) used
EQ800, GM1000, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you i appreciate the information.

Wow a meter down? wow! That's awesome.

Have you used any Evolution coils yet?

What settings do you use most?

InAustralia.Jones

Mar 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
MineLab - GP3000, GPX4500, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NF EVO are very good coils, in my case they are not big enough. I use the NF Advantage Mono series.

1. Find yourself a nice little dry creek that has a high bank wall over a meter. Flatten the top near the edge ready for your coil. Use a tape measure and measure a section of the wall 2 meters wide and mark it on the previously flattened
area.

2. From the top of the creek wall down make a series of depth marks - (my hole depths are, 1. 100mm, 2. 300mm, 3. 500mm, 4. 700mm, 5. 1000mm) then i use a "petrol" (gas - over your way) driven auger, fitted with a 80mm auger. Try to
drive it straight into the creek wall, center of your marks, and about half meter into wall. This allows you to Tape your test targets on a flat piece of wood ( I use 45mm x 20mm Hardwood).

3. Prepare to go Fishing! Gold slugs come in all sizes so do Fishing sinkers. I use a variety of sizes from couple of grams to 200 ounce. (note: over here we cannot use machines to dig, it has to done by hand. The ground here is very to extremely
hard. People have no idea, if you find a deep target over here be prepared to spend a couple to a few hours to dig it out). Back to it! decide what size sinkers to tape to the length of wood - this isn't difficult to work out.

4. Detector, factory reset it.

5. Front panel settings. Threshold: 12 o'clock ( your need to hear a gentle constant hum - To low, miss targets. To High, unstable - noisy) Search Mode: General, Soil Timings: Normal, Coil/RX: Mono, (if using mono coil) Ground Balance: I always start in tracking, once balanced switch over to Fixed. (never leave it in Tracking - otherwise you will be like the others out there. I got a noise, hold on it's only ground noise, it's gone now). Once switched to Fixed you use your GB button on your grip handle to balance every so often.

6. Back Panel - understand your manual first, understand what settings "Affect" other settings and "Work" together. This is the Key when setting up your GPX.

Advice: a heads up.... High settings are not always the preferred best settings. << read this again! it will make sense.

Good Luck!

Jan 3, 2024
Minelab Detectors are great.

It's a pity 95% of people that purchase them really don't know how to use them properly. I see it all the time out on the gold fields.

People don't understand the settings or the Timings, they either leave them on the Factory setting or search the internet for the perfect settings and Timings (These are the people i see out there all the Time) and all they do is complain, Oh this machine is noisy or i can't seem to get it to operate quietly, this ground is to noisy and so on.....

The best coils for the GPX series is Mono hands down. Mono coils from 8 inch through to like what i use 18, 22, 24 and 28 inch, very rare that i will use a small coil.

With my GPX 4500 fitted with a 22 inch Nugget Finder Mono coil, I have set it up near perfect for very noisy ground, it operates very smooth and only noise you hear is when it runs over a target.

I've picked up a 5 ounce slug a meter down and a 1/2 gram 15mm down, same settings, same coil. I'm not quite sure how deep it will detect that would depend on the target size. My GP 3000 fitted with a 18 inch coiltek DD found me a 4.5 ounce slug 1.3 meters deep, similar with my 5000.

What i suggest is read the Manual and understand it, forget advertised settings and especially the ones they make you pay for - these idiots have no idea and probably don't even own or have used a Minelab detector.

I've owned and have been using Minelab since the SD series, They only operate to full potential if you understand how they operate and what all the setting and timings are for. Most people buy them go out without setting them up properly then do more complaining than detecting, then put the detector away, until next time, then it all starts again.

My advice here is study the operators manual while having the detector with you. More advice - forget the "Enhance" setting! Over here we have all ground types and probably the most noisiest ground in the world.
Jones, you're absolutely right about that, people don't try to understand how the machine really works, instead of the operator mastering the device, the device ends up mastering it. In my case I started paying attention to my device. I use a gold monster 1000 from Minelab VLF, I would watch videos on YouTube and they all said the same thing. Leave the device on the manual module and it works with the full power of the device and takes it deeper.

This is true, but you have to take into account the terrain you are detecting, if it is mineralized these VLFs make a lot of noise and give a signal to everything when it is sideways. After I started to understand my device I started to find nuggets of 0.03 decimos, others of 0.5 decimos and others of 5 grams.

Searching the forum and reading the manuals, I began to understand that Minelab is a leader in automatic soil tracking and balancing systems, so I decided to leave the device in the automatic module, on the first day it was a spectacular place that I have already been able to find gold again. . As the soil is very mineralized, the automatic setting is better for dealing with mineralized materials and you can notice the difference in sound when hitting a non-ferrous metal.

To this day I only work on the automatic module and every time I find something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread