jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arizona weekly enterprise. (Florence, Pinal County, Arizona Territory), 12 April 1890.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...xt=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=83

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Just one of hundreds of old newspaper articles about gold and silver in and near Grand Canyon. Thank you Jeff.

Time for more coffee.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story Jeff. Thanks for sharing this!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I doubt there is much gold in the Grand canyon. It is all sedimentary sandstone there. I could be wrong.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I doubt there is much gold in the Grand canyon. It is all sedimentary sandstone there. I could be wrong.

You are wrong. The CO River has gold all the way from the headwaters down! Not lots of gold all the way along of course but gold moves a long way over millions of years.

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Placers were formed millions of years ago, same as today, when the sandstone was still "sand"... I think they are referred to as "paleoplacers"? Not much different than glacial placers from the Ice Age, found in the Upper Midwest. I think some of the "tertiary" gravels in the central Sierras are ancient rivers with paleoplacers...

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I took a pan down the canyon and yep got color. Just a couple specks, but gold in the Grand canyon for sure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread