Grandpa's rock collection

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessarily, im just saying if anything grabs anyone's attention or sees something cool or interesting to let me know, I have no idea what I'm looking at.
Kind regards
MasterBlaster, welcome to TreasureNet.

Members can help you identify the rocks, but please be aware, if any member reports you offering to sell and you are not a charter member thread will be removed.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessarily, im just saying if anything grabs anyone's attention or sees something cool or interesting to let me know, I have no idea what I'm looking at.
Kind regards
Which is an offer to sell. You need to get a charter membership to sell here, as pepper said.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello to all,
I recently opened my grandpas rock collection he passed away over 20 years ago, and the news papper that his mineral collection was wrapped in was from 1972, I just started unwrapping them. I don't know what to do with these he has thousands of rocks minerals from all over the world. Is their away to get a value on the entire collection. I personally just not into them I'd like to see someone who will treasure them much more then me. Thank for any help is greatly appreciated. Here are just a few i haven't even scratched the surface. Best Regards,
Some mineral dealers buy collections looking to piece them out but generally pay thousands (many thousands sometimes) for large or well-known ones to piece them out and make a lot of money on a few really good pieces. The collection looks nice but I don't see anything particularly valuable right off the bat. Most of the specimens are what I might call reference specimens which are a good example of a mineral but not particularly well-crystallized or pretty. The fact that there are labels is certainly helpful to the value. The lot you showed is probably not worth more than a few hundred dollars at most, however, if there's more like you said and maybe some better specimens maybe someone would be interested in the whole collection for a good sum. Seems like the specimens are numbered so there should be an index of them somewhere.

OP
OP
M

Masterblaster

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2022
Some mineral dealers buy collections looking to piece them out but generally pay thousands (many thousands sometimes) for large or well-known ones to piece them out and make a lot of money on a few really good pieces. The collection looks nice but I don't see anything particularly valuable right off the bat. Most of the specimens are what I might call reference specimens which are a good example of a mineral but not particularly well-crystallized or pretty. The fact that there are labels is certainly helpful to the value. The lot you showed is probably not worth more than a few hundred dollars at most, however, if there's more like you said and maybe some better specimens maybe someone would be interested in the whole collection for a good sum. Seems like the specimens are numbered so there should be an index of them somewhere.
Wow,
Thank you for all the information, so you helped things make alot of sense to me, ill explain...now that you shared your thoughts of a actual collector stand point I now feel like their are two different types off collectors, what I mean by saying that he was really into the knowledge side of it all he did was read and study old geographic, national geographic, ext...if he wasn't working he was in his office reading. I may be wrong. For anther example, my step father lived and breathed model air planes he recently passed left me his entire shop I never flew one but same instance he had a thousand planes I thought was really cool and valuable but after really finding out he more into building them he could replicate any plane ever built. So you have those that do nothing but fly and have those thats their passion is building them even though he flew wasn't were his passion was....very cool thank you so much for sharing your knowledge means alot to me, so from here I think I'll put together a few displays pass them to whoever in the faimly wants, and I will donate the rest to our local museum if they want or give them to some schools, that idea came from anther gentleman on this forum. Yall been super cool ya we say yall in the south..lol...can't thank you enough.
My Best Regards,
Sean

OP
OP
M

Masterblaster

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2022
I think that's a great idea. There are definitely some good specimens there that will help some students learn about the different minerals and start to get interested.
I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying two different types of collector's, I was just saying he mostly studied, I've seen some collector's that their collection is very valuable I realize that they could study just as much or more. Either way thank you for your outlook and sharing your knowledge, yes I'm more then looking forward to handing them over, ill let you know when I give them to a school. I was happy to have found this forum yall been great. Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread