Grease

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of grease do you guys use on the "O" rings on your detectors to keep water out of the control box I haven't been in the water with my new control box on my AT gold, my old one started having issues. (not water related issues) I have had the coil wire unscrew a few times while detecting on land and want to grease it in case that happens in the water. I don't trust it yet, I might have to score the threads, so it wont come open so easy.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be sure you do not use any petroleum base grease, it will destroy the o-ring, I use a vegetable base silicone grease sold in the plumbing department of lowes or Home Depot on my excal.

Last edited:

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
IMG_0699.jpg

Search ?scuba grease? and you?ll find something compatible and silicone as TH suggested. If it?s the right grease for o rings on the regs that let me breath under water, it should be good enough for an MD.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1946461

Search ?scuba grease? and you?ll find something compatible and silicone as TH suggested. If it?s the right grease for o rings on the regs that let me breath under water, it should be good enough for an MD.

Any of the trident produces work great for detecting. I've used the little pump bottle of silicon spray before.

My main one for O-rings and sometime coating my coil cable is Dow Corning 111, just got a new tube in.. I go thru a tube every couple of years..get it off ebay for about 20 dollars.

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys I would have used white lithium grease if you hadn't given me the heads up. So I will look for a silicone or a vegetable grease product. I would try bacon grease except it might attract me some Predators. LOL just kidding on the bacon grease

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dielectric grease for use near electric components and great for threads

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used