pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah Yes, the island that just keeping giving, without giving up anything.

Seems to be a theme with Nova Scotia or folks from there.
Pumping the treasure tales, and not producing a shred of evidence of anything.

Maybe that's the secret of success-just keep pumping it, without producing anything, that way there's always that ?? in folks that love a mystery in life.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
concludes by suggesting his guests cross the causeway to visit the interpretation centre on the island. “After we finish the tour, you can go to Oak Island and get the real treasure: the baseball caps, the T-shirts and coffee mugs,

But the lack of evidence seems not to bother viewers, and the tourists keep coming. Angela Steeves, general manager of the Oak Island Resort and Marina, a stone’s throw from the island, hopes that Chinese tourists will soon join the Europeans and Americans enjoying the excellent fish cakes in her dining room. “That changes the ball game altogether.”

Steeves doesn’t want to say whether she thinks there’s gold on Oak Island. “I hope we never find out. I hope the mystery continues for years and years and years.”

No one wants to finish the the story/search as too much money is being made from keeping the legend alive...

The REAL joke is none of those people making money from the legend actually believe there is treasure to be found...

Thus the name "Hoax island". The whole story is now just a way to make money from tourists and Tv sponsorship..

Therefore still an AMAZING story in how people will not let truth get in the way of a good story.

People just believe what they want to believe.... No wonder the mess the world is in..

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah Yes, the island that just keeping giving, without giving up anything.

Seems to be a theme with Nova Scotia or folks from there.
Pumping the treasure tales, and not producing a shred of evidence of anything.

Maybe that's the secret of success-just keep pumping it, without producing anything, that way there's always that ?? in folks that love a mystery in life.
Tourism dollars. Plain and simple.

mdc002

Jun 25, 2022
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And so the author of this article is an expert on Oak Island? What makes the author an expert? Just because treasure has never been found YET, does not mean that there is no treasure. The present hunt for treasure is the first one in the history of Oak Island to employ technology and science! :skullflag:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
And so the author of this article is an expert on Oak Island? What makes the author an expert? Just because treasure has never been found YET, does not mean that there is no treasure. The present hunt for treasure is the first one in the history of Oak Island to employ technology and science! :skullflag:
"An Engineer" ; "and the latest resources in science " in 1939 might predate you're claim of a first application of technology and science being the present's.

mdc002

Jun 25, 2022
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Certainly for the time it was scientific, but they did not have the technology and the advances in science since then.
Digging a deep hole into a high water table is a matter of hydraulic logistics.
Understood since Roman times , and likely before.

If 1929 technology couldn't produce shoring and suitable pumps after a feasibility study of the aquifer , today will see a mysterious advanced process triumph?

At the Sea-Side​

BY ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON
When I was down beside the sea
A wooden spade they gave to me
To dig the sandy shore.
My holes were empty like a cup.
In every hole the sea came up
Till it could come no more.

mdc002

Jun 25, 2022
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digging a deep hole into a high water table is a matter of hydraulic logistics.
Understood since Roman times , and likely before.

If 1929 technology couldn't produce shoring and suitable pumps after a feasibility study of the aquifer , today will see a mysterious advanced process triumph?

At the Sea-Side​

BY ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON
When I was down beside the sea
A wooden spade they gave to me
To dig the sandy shore.
My holes were empty like a cup.
In every hole the sea came up
Till it could come no more.
Well, the article that you link to doesn't seem to go past page 58. Where is page 232 where the article continues? Some of the equipment used today did not even exist back then including lidar and equipment to analyze what metals are in the water at the bottom of the holes just to name two.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the article that you link to doesn't seem to go past page 58. Where is page 232 where the article continues? Some of the equipment used today did not even exist back then including lidar and equipment to analyze what metals are in the water at the bottom of the holes just to name two.
Where is page 232? Why are you asking me?
My point contradicting your claim has nothing to do with page 232.
While we're asking fun questions unrelated to my point...How far is up?

Lidar? Oh boy. You claiming Lidar as a way to identify treasure in wet soil hundreds of feet deep?

I drop my fishfinder's transducer in a well and sonar bounces a turds mass as a signal back from between the bottom and two feet from the bottom , are you going to pay me for a trout based on my claim of a trout being there?
After all , I can see a fishy object. The equipment says so. It'll even show a fish icon if you want. If it's not a trout it has to be a fish still. The icon created by brilliant modern technology proves it.
Just climb in and grab it!

mdc002

Jun 25, 2022
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where is page 232? Why are you asking me?
My point contradicting your claim has nothing to do with page 232.
While we're asking fun questions unrelated to my point...How far is up?

Lidar? Oh boy. You claiming Lidar as a way to identify treasure in wet soil hundreds of feet deep?

I drop my fishfinder's transducer in a well and sonar bounces a turds mass as a signal back from between the bottom and two feet from the bottom , are you going to pay me for a trout based on my claim of a trout being there?
After all , I can see a fishy object. The equipment says so. It'll even show a fish icon if you want. If it's not a trout it has to be a fish still. The icon created by brilliant modern technology proves it.
Just climb in and grab it!
Now you're an electronics expert? :laughing7:

mdc002

Jun 25, 2022
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will admit that there MIGHT NOT be "treasure" on oak island. However, my contention is that the to call the show a "hoax" as some have is unproven and the "evidence" that proponents of the "hoax" theory offer don't stand up to close inspection. I do believe that the Laginas are much more principled than to participate in such nonsense.

As I and others have pointed out that the money being spent on this search could in no way be recouped by Canadian Government grants and TV advertising. Also, considering the number of people involved in the show makes it near impossible to keep a "hoax" a secret. The "hoax" theorists on this subject remind me of the people who support the hoax theories that we never landed on the moon and 9/11 was a CIA job.

To say that "treasure" must have a monetary value is also false. Much has been learned about the history of Oak Island and many artifacts have been discovered and that in itself can be the "treasure" of history. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I look at it from a common sense/high level, since I have little time to waste on such nonsense -- if modern technology can't find any evidence in all these years of something that was "buried" with the technology of the time, it is likely a snipe hunt, and there is nothing there.

People like treasure legends. Heck, there is rumored to be "civil war era gold coins" on the property owned by the HOA where I live. There is even a write up about it if you know where to look. Never bothered to look for the coins in all the time I have lived here.

I file Oak Island under Bigfoot, Loch Ness, and the like. I love it how the defenders of this nonsense always get defensive and have some sort of silly story when it is pointed out that no remains of a dead Bigfoot have ever been found, rather than just admit the obvious that it is a native-American Santa Claus story to keep kids from wandering out of the village and into the woods. Show me the _evidence_ of any of these fairy tales.

Whatever. I'll waste my time following actual evidence to the small treasures I find rather than on snipe hunts.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I will admit that there MIGHT NOT be "treasure" on oak island. However, my contention is that the to call the show a "hoax" as some have is unproven and the "evidence" that proponents of the "hoax" theory offer don't stand up to close inspection. I do believe that the Laginas are much more principled than to participate in such nonsense.

As I and others have pointed out that the money being spent on this search could in no way be recouped by Canadian Government grants and TV advertising. Also, considering the number of people involved in the show makes it near impossible to keep a "hoax" a secret. The "hoax" theorists on this subject remind me of the people who support the hoax theories that we never landed on the moon and 9/11 was a CIA job.

To say that "treasure" must have a monetary value is also false. Much has been learned about the history of Oak Island and many artifacts have been discovered and that in itself can be the "treasure" of history. :icon_thumright:
And this is why the show is a success. Because some folks buy the story. I have an entirely different theory. Surely the stone roads are not fake. And there may very well be tunnels underground that have been there for centuries. So what if there was treasure being removed and shipped out rather than being deposited there ? I'm thinking an ancient Silver mine as the most logical explanation.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
And this is why the show is a success. Because some folks buy the story. I have an entirely different theory. Surely the stone roads are not fake. And there may very well be tunnels underground that have been there for centuries. So what if there was treasure being removed and shipped out rather than being deposited there ? I'm thinking an ancient Silver mine as the most logical explanation.
Does the geology suit silver deposits?

Did limestone and gypsum have value as far as mining it back whenever?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread