Great hunt with friends from New York

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been about a year since my friends Ed (EdUpstateNY) and Tony (Park Pirate) came down to Mass to hunt a favorite old park. It was sunny and would've been pretty warm except for the strong wind that howled all day.

We hit the turf about 9:15 and hunted until about 5, except for a couple of breaks for food and to rest my old arms. I'll let Ed & Tony tell you about their finds, but I had a pretty lucky day- scored 6 Indians, 6 wheats (best 1917), an 1899 Barber dime and a sterling pin that I'm pretty certain was from the Fall River Gas Company. I snapped the pin off rinsing it :icon_scratch:. The majority of the Indians were beat, so I only posted pics of the 2 I could get presentable, but the dates were 1883, 1897 (2), 1901, 1904 (2)- had to use Andres pencils just to get dates of the other 4. The Barber dime came out of the ground stained grey and orange and I had to put some serious elbow grease into making it readable.

Highlight of the day was when we finished, we got to sit down and enjoy an awesome Portuguese steak dinner- always a treat!

If you've ever gotten to hunt with these guys, you know they're great people and tremendous at their craft. I always look forward to them coming down and spending the day- already looking forward to the next time.

Enjoy the pics and HH!
Jeff

Attachments

• 101020h1.JPG
    101020h1.JPG
    519.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 101020h2.JPG
    101020h2.JPG
    534.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 101020h3r.JPG
    101020h3r.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 101020h5.JPG
    101020h5.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 22

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
That's the last straw. You put me over the edge Jeff with your pic. It's been 10 months. I can't wait any longer. I am heading to Caldeiras for a Portuguese steak and a cheap bottle of the house red.

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff,

If you had to "rest (your) old arms" after the dig, I can't imagine what that enormous meal must have done to your old stomach...lol That could feed a family of six for a week! I am green envy over the fun you detector guys (and gals) are having. Hopefully I will soon make the transition from purchaser of artifacts to digger of artifacts. Rescuing history is our common goal.

Perhaps someday you'll detect down in the lower Hudson valley and hit the jackpot by finding some Dutch West India Company (WIC) coinage.

Best regards,

JG

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and story...the steak looks amazing! Did you get that on the Cape?

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a great day, congradulations.

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the last straw. You put me over the edge Jeff with your pic. It's been 10 months. I can't wait any longer. I am heading to Caldeiras for a Portuguese steak and a cheap bottle of the house red.

Caravela on South Main St.- awesome!

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff,

If you had to "rest (your) old arms" after the dig, I can't imagine what that enormous meal must have done to your old stomach...lol That could feed a family of six for a week! I am green envy over the fun you detector guys (and gals) are having. Hopefully I will soon make the transition from purchaser of artifacts to digger of artifacts. Rescuing history is our common goal.

Perhaps someday you'll detect down in the lower Hudson valley and hit the jackpot by finding some Dutch West India Company (WIC) coinage.

Best regards,

JG

My old stomach works well (thank God!)- polished off that plate except for 1/2 the red peppers- SO good!

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

terrafirma

Sep 9, 2020
new england
Detector(s) used
SE PRO, Safari, Excalibur II, Garrett gold scorpion, Whites PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking dinner! ( the finds were pretty great looking too!) thanks for sharing both...

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Across the sound from you on the Vineyard now, getting a little digging and a lot of fishing in. Love the Fall River dispensary!! Love the lobster tacos at Quick's Hole in Woods Hole but they close this weekend.

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you ever find any Native American objects? Bird stones, arrow heads, net weights, grooved axes, shell beads?

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A well earned dinner after some great finds like those!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jacob, not sure who you are asking here. There are many artifacts found on Cape Cod and the Islands. I have friends here on the Vineyard who have some amazing collections although most of the quartz points found in the area are fairly crude compared to midwestern chert and flint points. Some very nice looking points of other material are found, but the local majority are quartz. A friend found a nice net weight last week while fishing. Good early colonial stuff too for the metal detecting crowd. Permission is paramount as anyplace else, but there are miles of saltwater pond shores on the Vineyard that are accessible and a lot of points are found in these areas. There are also fossil shark teeth clams, and crabs that can be found occasionally. The Cape is also know for finding NA artifacts and colonial era goodies. I don't have a lot of NA stuff that I've found myself, but the majority have come from the Cape and Islands yet I hunted many years growing up in the Hudson Valley of NY. Easier to find in this area I guess.

Last edited:

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: gunsil

Thank you for your very interesting and informative reply. I suppose my question was for anyone in the New England, Hudson River Valley area. I know most of the people here are detectorists looking for metal artifacts, but I assume other sorts of artifacts are uncovered by accident in the search for coins, buttons, buckles and the like. I will begin my first foray into the detecting world this Spring, and look forward to the excitement of making my own discoveries. Buying things is fun, but rescuing history from the ground will certainly be a step above passive collecting.

Best regards,

JG

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds with Tnet friends...priceless! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread