great seal button / "boro mas" With Pics

bronco

Mar 2, 2008
great seal button / "boro mas" With Pics

My son and I found our first button with our Whites detector today. An old field site I believe. Numerous shotgun shells found 3-4 inches deep. Any ideas on the date of this button. I can make out the Great Seal emblem and burst on the front and the reverse side reads "BORO MAS"

Fun day. Charleaton SC area

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: great seal military button reverse side "boro mas"

I believe the back mark was: D. Evans & Co. Attleboro Mass 1848 - 1945

So well within the Great Seal button time frame (1902 - present)

OP
OP
B

bronco

Mar 2, 2008

Thanks for the info Jim. I need to get my digital camera skills up to speed so I can post pictures. I think I can make out the remnants of old red and blue paint on the stars and bars of the shield. Do you know if old buttons were typically painted?

Thanks again,
Happy hunting

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

First off... Welcome to TreasureNet... :) I neglected that the first time I posted.

I am 99 percent positive that no uniform military buttons were ever painted colors. I'd love to see a picture of it when you can get the chance... no stress though. I'm thinking you have a civilian button... not a military great seal button.

Hard to tell with no pictures ... :)

Buttons are awesome to find!

OP
OP
B

bronco

Mar 2, 2008

Here 'tis any idea's

Attachments

• IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,200
OP
OP
B

bronco

Mar 2, 2008

More pics

Attachments

• IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_2012.jpg
    IMG_2012.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 782

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: great seal button / "boro mas" With Pics

It is certainly a U.S. Army Great Seal button. I cannot read the back except for the "BORO".

OP
OP
B

bronco

Mar 2, 2008

Yeah, doesn't that look like paint to you? Maybe a civilian replica or something

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

it's not the patina from weathering?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

mamabear said:
it's not the patina from weathering?

Yea, looks like a petina... pics are not good enough to tell. I don't think it's painted.

OP
OP
B

bronco

Mar 2, 2008

Some of the shot shells I'm finding are REM-UMC (from 1911-1934) according to an online resource. Same area near the same depth. I'm thinking must be off somebodies old army, turned hunting jacket? Or would that style be on a dress uniform?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

bronco said:
Some of the shot shells I'm finding are REM-UMC (from 1911-1934) according to an online resource. Same area near the same depth. I'm thinking must be off somebodies old army, turned hunting jacket? Or would that style be on a dress uniform?

The buttons in that style have been around since 1902, and are still the style used today. An exact back mark would give you an "era" when it was made.

Prior to that they were the "Eagle" buttons like in my avatar. The Great Seal buttons were most likely on dress uniforms and not fatiques... and, who knows where the buttons got sewed or used after service life?

OP
OP
B

bronco

Mar 2, 2008

Thanks Again for all the info MJ. I learned a lot. I'll let that be the last word on that button.

I'll try to find another button for you to mull over soon!

Regards

OP
OP
B

bronco

Mar 2, 2008

"Camp Marion, Summerville, SC

• Possibly named after Francis Marion, the “Swamp Fox”.
• In early November, 1898, a brigade of the first division of the Second Corps was camped at Summerville, S.C. There are returns for this camp for November, 1898 to February, 1899. The December 31, 1898 Army and Navy Journal indicates state volunteers were camped here. "

Found this out. I wonder if this button could be related. Found in this general area. Any Ideas?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

bronco said:
"Camp Marion, Summerville, SC

• Possibly named after Francis Marion, the “Swamp Fox”.
• In early November, 1898, a brigade of the first division of the Second Corps was camped at Summerville, S.C. There are returns for this camp for November, 1898 to February, 1899. The December 31, 1898 Army and Navy Journal indicates state volunteers were camped here. "

Found this out. I wonder if this button could be related. Found in this general area. Any Ideas?

Not from that army... the button cannot date before 1902.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread