jgleaves

Greenie
Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to another Fossil Friday! My video today is my first time prepping a fish from the Green River formation, 18-inch layer. This fossil was from recovered from outside of Kemmerer, WY by a friend, Kris Howe.

Can you please list the basics for the equipment you used to do this ?

I am thinking of trying to start prepping some of my own fossils
( trilobites from the Nopah rang). Plus headed to Kemmerer, WY for a couple of days this summer to get more specimens.

It appears you are using 2 tools. A made in Sweden ??? dremel like tool and then an air blasting tool ( does not appear you are blasting any media at the fossil I think ). Plus see the hand lens attached to the hat.

If you can describe the tools, would be much appreciated. thank you for the video

Attachments

• 1641856401871.jpeg
    1641856401871.jpeg
    13.9 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Fat
OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you please list the basics for the equipment you used to do this ?

I am thinking of trying to start prepping some of my own fossils
( trilobites from the Nopah rang). Plus headed to Kemmerer, WY for a couple of days this summer to get more specimens.

It appears you are using 2 tools. A made in Sweden ??? dremel like tool and then an air blasting tool ( does not appear you are blasting any media at the fossil I think ). Plus see the hand lens attached to the hat.

If you can describe the tools, would be much appreciated. thank you for the video
I talk about my tools and setup here:

The main tool is a air scribe (Chicago Pneumatic CP9160 ). The micro air-abrasion is using bicarbonate soda (baking soda). If you can actually see the media stream from the air pen, you have way, WAY, WAAAY too much media coming out.

Just and FYI, this fish is not the same thing you'll find in the typical "split layer" or "split fish" quarries. You cant use scribes or abrasive blasting on those, they'll just disappear. The only thing that works well is a pin, needle, or exacto-knife blade tip.

Reactions: Fat

jgleaves

Greenie
Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for replying and also for the ammonite video. Wish Texas was closer. Do have one large ammonite I got from a friend. It came from the Carlsbad, Ca area during a construction project. Off to watch the prep video

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread