Greenhorn looking to get into the hobby.

sudoinit6

Dec 29, 2022
I am soon to be in a great position. I am a single father who works 100% remotely (IT). Soon I will also be an empty nester (my youngest is a Senior this year). I have a great new camper and am looking forward to some time working from campsite instead of working from home.

I have long though panning (or sluiceing) for gold would be a fun activity. I know it isn't a way to strike it rich, but I love being out in nature and I don't fish or hunt so I figure it would be a good way to spend some time, and if I make a buck that's a bonus!

I recently ran across the idea if buying a mining claim. I live in Colorado and there are many for sale without having to drive more than a few hours. I figure this would be great because I could camp on the claim for a couple weeks at a time, work during the day and then do some slucieing after work.

So I need some education. It seems that most claims are in 20 acre increments but some sell for $1000 and some sell for $5000 or more.

I assume the differene is expected output but I was wondering if anyone could point me in a direction on where to get started when it comes to evaluating claims with the intent of purchase.

This isn't something I am looking to do right away, this is the begining of a journey and I am just getting started.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Upvote 6

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sudoinit6

Dec 29, 2022
Thank you both, I will look into both resources. As an IT worker I usually look for online resources, discord and the like, but it seems prospectors seem to like to keep it old school! A club sounds fun! Hopefully I can find one near me.

OP
OP
S

sudoinit6

Dec 29, 2022
Hi sudoinit6 ! you dont have to buy a claim from someone lol you can stake a claim once you find a good spot that has promise. Just a thought. Good luck.

In following up with the suggestions in this thread some of the prospectiong "clubs" I have found say that one of the goals is to help memebers find and stake their own claims, so my plan now is to do exactly that! It is still a long term plan but I am very excited. The journey itself sounds very satisfying.

It has been said MANY times before , If your wanting to acquire a claim ,DON'T use the word "hobby" in your request or you'll be denied , The word hobby isn't in the 1872 mining laws !

I was not aware of this, thank you very much. And thanks again to all the advice given in this thread, it has been extremely valuable.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have had very good luck with hanging out with prospecting clubs. We’re a relatively small community a lot of clubs are affiliated with one another. They are great for networking often times it isn’t what you know but who you know for finding places to get on the good stuff. Once you have it sorted out and finding colors the clubs are great for just hanging out talking shop. Once you catch the fever it’s nice to be able to share the enthusiasm with like minded people, family and friends often do not know what to make of it. Gold shows are a lot of fun, see all the equipment demonstrations, meet prospectors from other areas of the country, take in some seminars maybe win something useful in a raffle.

OP
OP
S

sudoinit6

Dec 29, 2022
Get Kevin Single’s book, Finding gold in colorado, it will put you in good places to start, and then pan out from there, I think a claim to camp on is the dream of about a million baby boomers! And any claim seller knows that! But we gotta dream!

To be accurate I am Gen X. I would like to be offended but since I am gen X.... meh. :laughing7::laughing7:

I am ordering the book right now, thanks for the advice.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Purchase pay dirt and practice panning.
Make a miller table too to catch the tiny gold! Then go test the soil @ claims you want to purchase if you’re allowed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread