Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t have a lot of experience with mauls and axes and such but sure looks good to me. Nice find

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats not just a every day find , to alot of hunters and myself thats a good find , i have never even found a piece of a maul.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW That is an AMAZING FIND :) NICE GOING !!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's a maul. The groove is to narrow for a handle. A handle that skinny would snap off. No wear on either end from use. Nice find for sure.
I Think it is still a NICE FIND :) . I know very very little about artifacts though

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newman you seem to be a person of knowledge . This is not a negative question. How would a stone like that be formed ?

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Newman you seem to be a person of knowledge . This is not a negative question. How would a stone like that be formed ?
I would say it's possible it's natural but has the definite look of being man made. I just don't think it was a maul which would have been swung hard and should show serious wear on either end. As well as the narrow groove wouldn't facilitate a handle stout enough to not break when used. What its purpose was I have no idea. It may help if the finder told us which state it was found in.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could also have been in process of being made and not finished.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could also have been in process of being made and not finished.
T_H how would they make such a tool. Would they use another stone to carve the grooves ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T_H how would they make such a tool. Would they use another stone to carve the grooves ?
They would use another hard stone to peck and form the groove and stone tools

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
R

ridgerunner112

Greenie
Sep 10, 2022
Thanks for all the positive replies, although as some have already mentioned regarding it possibly being a maul, I'd like to highlight its features of it being too narrow of a groove to haft a handle around it considering its weight, the lack of other marks suggesting it was bound with animal hide/strips of bark or other means to hold said wooden handle in place and the apparent lack of impact fractures that would suggest it being a hammering tool of sorts. The fact that the natives relied heavily on fishing in this area makes the notion of it being a weight much more realistic.

Glad to have spurred some discussion, nonetheless. Will gladly post updates on it or any further finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread