California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very deep, uniform groove...some pics would be great.
Yes, and this would be a very serious battle axe...! Almost too big for one-handed use.
Looks to be cultural

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it's possible it's natural but has the definite look of being man made. I just don't think it was a maul which would have been swung hard and should show serious wear on either end. As well as the narrow groove wouldn't facilitate a handle stout enough to not break when used. What its purpose was I have no idea. It may help if the finder told us which state it was found in.
I was thinking Net Weight or some type of anchor weight...

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
If my memory serves, Charl posted a photo of a boat weight that he found along the North River on the East Coast of MA.
It had quite a resemblance. If it is a boat weight, it’s an extremely rare find.

CloudKicker0

Jul 16, 2022
I would say it's possible it's natural but has the definite look of being man made. I just don't think it was a maul which would have been swung hard and should show serious wear on either end. As well as the narrow groove wouldn't facilitate a handle stout enough to not break when used. What its purpose was I have no idea. It may help if the finder told us which state it was found in.
Natural stone

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your stone in post #21 is natural erosion, not manmade. Softer layers erode at a different rate than the harder layers, resulting in the stone you found. Interesting none the less.

OP
OP
R

ridgerunner112

Greenie
Sep 10, 2022
comparative poster-upper of OP rock and similar rock with slightly different characteristics although possibly similar uses, if ever. just blurting this out there btw;

OT: dunno where the sparkles underneath rubbed-off from ;p

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
comparative poster-upper of OP rock and similar rock with slightly different characteristics although possibly similar uses, if ever. just blurting this out there btw;

OT: dunno where the sparkles underneath rubbed-off from ;p

If you found some others similar close by, the net weight possibility is a good one. No sense hauling your weights home at the end of the day everyday

Runehunter

Nov 6, 2017
Oklahoma City OK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the positive replies, although as some have already mentioned regarding it possibly being a maul, I'd like to highlight its features of it being too narrow of a groove to haft a handle around it considering its weight, the lack of other marks suggesting it was bound with animal hide/strips of bark or other means to hold said wooden handle in place and the apparent lack of impact fractures that would suggest it being a hammering tool of sorts. The fact that the natives relied heavily on fishing in this area makes the notion of it being a weight much more realistic.

Glad to have spurred some discussion, nonetheless. Will gladly post updates on it or any further finds.
I have two such stones and was told they are clubs. I have seen some stone replica clubs some of the nations sell to touristas here (Oklahoma) so that seemed a likely explanation for mine

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
T_H how would they make such a tool. Would they use another stone to carve the grooves ?
It’s possible a suitable shaped rock was selected, and the only alteration was the groove itself. But, in general, end picks and honing stones were used to fashion such tools…

DDCC2510-6969-4F6D-8A40-1A9133D331FE.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread