Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you seem to be upset by this

I am. Not going to change what I do but the people that come up with this stuff need to focus on more important things. I guess they want everyone just sitting home doing nothing. Laws and regulations on everything it seems.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Are you sure this prohibition on "removing cultural heritage artifacts" applies to private land ? The link's texts jumps back and forth between what applies to public land, vs private land. So I'm going to suggest that this "prohibition" applies to federal or public type sites. The same can be said of any nation on earth.

Notice it also makes a distinction that "Many municipal parks and public greenspaces also prohibit recreational metal detecting" Well gee, what does that tell you ? That OTHER "municipal parks and public greenspaces" do NOT prohibit (lest the original statement would have said "all").

K1DDO1979: Everything I'm reading there, could be said of the USA too. I mean, heck, we have ARPA here. And there's been no shortage of archies (or persons assembling FAQ's like that, who perhaps consulted archies) can phrase things in "dire sounding ways". Yet the reality is: There's no shortage of places to md here, and ARPA only applies to federal land. So too do I wonder if the wonderful "dire" wording there is, like here, only for public lands.

And seriously now: Is anyone following you around in farmer's fields in Nova Scotia to study the age of each item ?

You can find "dire stuff" for every single continent on earth. To me, your link actually seems quite inviting. Because it gives an outright allowance (albeit riddled with some archie talk, that .... ok, just don't hunt with archies on your trips).

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you sure this prohibition on "removing cultural heritage artifacts" applies to private land ? The link's texts jumps back and forth between what applies to public land, vs private land. So I'm going to suggest that this "prohibition" applies to federal or public type sites. The same can be said of any nation on earth.

Notice it also makes a distinction that "Many municipal parks and public greenspaces also prohibit recreational metal detecting" Well gee, what does that tell you ? That OTHER "municipal parks and public greenspaces" do NOT prohibit (lest the original statement would have said "all").

K1DDO1979: Everything I'm reading there, could be said of the USA too. I mean, heck, we have ARPA here. And there's been no shortage of archies (or persons assembling FAQ's like that, who perhaps consulted archies) can phrase things in "dire sounding ways". Yet the reality is: There's no shortage of places to md here, and ARPA only applies to federal land. So too do I wonder if the wonderful "dire" wording there is, like here, only for public lands.

And seriously now: Is anyone following you around in farmer's fields in Nova Scotia to study the age of each item ?

You can find "dire stuff" for every single continent on earth. To me, your link actually seems quite inviting. Because it gives an outright allowance (albeit riddled with some archie talk, that .... ok, just don't hunt with archies on your trips).

Good reply. I planned on doing everything I normally do anyway. It just made me mad at what's going on and thought I'd share! [emoji106]

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Enjoy what you can, when you can, and don't wait.
The links words aren't meaningless, they set a minimum amount necessary to protect antiquities. A minimum, I'll bet there are many places on the planet with way worse rules, and places that just don't have them yet.
Get 'em while you can, in the future, it will be tougher and not easier.

The world we've made huh!?!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread