Ground Resitivity Meters

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an image the software generates, with the resistivity shown in colors. I was doing some initial tests in my pasture to learn how to do it.
View attachment 2048221
That is a screenshot from RES2DINV by Geotomo (now owned by Aarhus Geosoftware, who is owned by Bentley Systems). It is the most common electrical resistivity tomography (ERT) software worldwide.

Performing ERT surveys with only a single channel resistivity meter (2 current electrodes and 2 voltage electrodes) is one of the most tedious tasks in geophysics. I did a 100 m long survey over a tunnel leading out of the world's largest prison with a system like that. It took me four days to do a survey that I could do with a multichannel switching system in a few hours. One should only perform a survey like this if they have a lot more time than money, or if they are on the other side of the planet and their switching resistivity system is at home.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup....I completely agree. Unfortunately, I'm in the "more time than money" group...LOL But, I'm also smart and inquisitive, so tackling that project was worth it to me. I had found a 2lb hunk of 85% copper, and a couple of golfball sized pieces, so thought the reward might be worth the effort. I still think there's a copper lode in that area, but it's probably beyond my abilities to locate. I'm still happy to have learned that skill, and have the tools. never know when it might be needed.

Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If cost is your limiting factor and you have lots of time, you can by a functional resistivity meter for cheap. I own probably 10 different resistivity systems ranging from $300 to $70K.

This one is super cheap and can make measurements up to about 20 ft depth.

DUOYI DY4300B 4-Terminal Earth Ground Resistance and Soil Resistivity Tester Meter ~$350
http://www.dyinstrument.com/duoyi/

All I got out of that link was a bunch of propaganda for some electronics company.
Jim

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were correct that the link I posted just went to the home page for the company.

Here is a link to their Earth Ground Resistance or Resistivity Testers.

I have the DY4300B Digital 4-Terminal Earth Resistance and Soil Resistivity Tester

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread