Group Campground on my claim.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have a question regarding my claim. My buddy and i have a 20 acre claim in the San Bernardino Mountain's with easy access to the river that runs through it. My question is there is a good portion of our claim / River that runs through a group campground those campgrounds are closed right now not sure when they open them up for the season but it will be soon. I wanted to know if i ask them for a key to the locked gate what to expect and do they have the right to say no go. thank you guys for any info regards Craig.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Usually designated campgrounds have mineral withdrawals for the camping area. Probably best to check on the status there before you contact whoever the land manager is. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

CALIdigger

Sep 5, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Whites gold master 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Contact Shannon Poe from AMRA(American mining rights association). He can walk you through filing an NOI to aqquire a key to the gate

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't take no for an answer or keep a friggin' torch in your truck. Man, Calif. has everybody worried about rules/laws to the point you lose yur downhome abilities. I don't have neighbors I have clansmen (...and NO....not the white robes type...).

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who runs the campground? If it's the forest service, just take your claim paperwork into the local office that services the campground and ask them to set you up. They will either give you a key or add your padlock to the gate. It's just a matter of asking...
They may require a plan of operation that specifies times that you can run motors or make noise. On one of my claims, I had paperwork from them granting access and areas of the claim designated for specific uses for different times of the year, etc because it was disputed in court.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the campground is excluded from your claim because of a withdrawal (campgrounds typically are withdrawn) you will not receive a key.

That's why you should always check the land status before prospecting or locating a claim. Check the Master Title Plat before approaching the campground manager or you may start a process that is not to your advantage.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most all campgrounds open May 1st in California jfi. Clay had a good point above. I wasn't thinking that you may have filed a claim after the campground was put in. Usually campgrounds have been hit hard for years by everyone coming in, camping, panning, sluicing, and everything. If you find that the area in the campground is withdrawn, then you can also relinquish that part of it back to them being that it's basically useless to you anyway. If it's a new claim, then most likely it won't make it thru BLM's final approval.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact Shannon Poe from AMRA(American mining rights association). He can walk you through filing an NOI to aqquire a key to the gate

If you have a claim that is behind a F.S. gate. they have to give you a key period.

An NOI is not required to own a claim. they can not require you to file one just for access.

At this point no one should be listening to AMRA or GPAA for advice on these issues

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank's everyone for the reply's, i am remodeling the house got to locate my paperwork. I will get back soon and yes Goldwasher its F.S. gate's.

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi you guys, i found my paperwork regarding my claim/ locked campground gates. Hope this helps lol. Now you know where my claim's at please stay out :laughing7:

Attachments

• 100_0450.JPG
    100_0450.JPG
    708.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 100_0451.JPG
    100_0451.JPG
    856.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_0452.JPG
    100_0452.JPG
    949.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_0449.JPG
    100_0449.JPG
    980.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_0448.JPG
    100_0448.JPG
    874.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_0446.JPG
    100_0446.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
  • 100_0447.JPG
    100_0447.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 77

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is it private property? How would it be withdrawn? I doubt they own the river and minerals.
You dont need anything for a key to access your claim as long as it's open to mining.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is it private property? How would it be withdrawn? I doubt they own the river and minerals.
You dont need anything for a key to access your claim as long as it's open to mining.
Its a State campground. I just wanted to access the campground to get to the river it cuts a 1/4 mile walk off that way, i can walk to it no problem. Also would be nice to camp there.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And, if its a FS lock there also, it may be wise to ask them, when you are looking for a key to "their" gate.
as they can very likely answer your questions. And, whatever you do, don't query at the STATE offices...!
California hates mining, apparently.... Funny tho, that's what started the State..., mining - The GOLD RUSH...!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh state property. You'll just have to check into what they own there but state land that I've seen is usually withdrawn.

State lands are ALWAYS UNCLAIMABLE (except in AK, which has a state claims program). May be leasable, May be open to casual use. Just have to ask. Ask the most local person you can find first. Only go up the chain of command if you don’t like the first answer!

OP
OP
Mine Shaft

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank's everybody for your help on this topic. I dont think i will ask for a key to the gate but i will look into this area thats not claimable by the state but BLM has it on my claim :icon_scratch: Again thank's you guys.

Attachments

• 100_0453.JPG
    100_0453.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 78

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread