Group pic of my colonial silver coins - almost 200 of them!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been working on some of the hundreds of pics that'll be going in my colonial artifact book that I've been working on for the last year, and finally pulled out all my silver from the numerous displays for a group shot. Can't believe I'm approaching the 200 mark, with half of those coming in the last 5-6 years. This is a large file so you can click on it a couple of times to zoom in to see better details for the individual coins. And my slabbed Lord Baltimore sixpence is not included in this pic. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 190 silver coins2.jpg
    190 silver coins2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,967
Upvote 36

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of these things is not like the others LOL that 8r in the middle is absolutely stunning. Seems to me that you are digging way too much colonial silver you really should let some in the ground for future Generations LOL

Look at that 8R, it's so pristine looking it looks like it was just bought off EBay. I'm gonna have to do some investigating.

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been working on some of the hundreds of pics that'll be going in my colonial artifact book that I've been working on for the last year, and finally pulled out all my silver from the numerous displays for a group shot. Can't believe I'm approaching the 200 mark, with half of those coming in the last 5-6 years. This is a large file so you can click on it a couple of times to zoom in to see better details for the individual coins. And my slabbed Lord Baltimore sixpence is not included in this pic. Enjoy!

Being in the Western U.S. I'd kill for any one of those! Great batch of colone! (Diggers)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill I'll be honest...that may be the most beautiful picture that I have ever seen. I am just blown away by so many pieces of early silver. WELL DONE :notworthy:

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of old silver there Bill. Really is amazing to see all spread out like that.
ZDD

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a lot of silver.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mind boggling success. Sadly I don't have a single English silver (not even a milled) in my entire collection. I understand the hammered will be tough in my area but a William III ought to pop up here eventually. I have seen them found around me on our local hunts. Anyway, I must be getting close to 100 colonial silvers. All but one is Spanish. If we count forgeries, than 2 as I have a counterfeit 1/3 cut Dutch rider.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just found a holed Charles II half real cob the other day. I was again admiring your collection and noticed you did not have any holed cobs. In fact only a few of your earlier pieces are holed. This tells me that holing coins was probably not as common early on. Mine has some wear so maybe it was holed well into the 18th century

Last edited:

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW! That is so awesome! Congratulations! Congrats again on the cut Noe-11 too!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I just found a holed Charles II half real cob the other day. I was again admiring your collection and noticed you did not have any holed cobs. In fact only a few of your earlier pieces are holed. This tells me that holing coins was probably not as common early on. Mine has some wear so maybe it was holed well into the 18th century

Actually, one of my cobs is holed - a 1685 pillar and waves 1 reale. I don't think the hole shows up very well in the above photo, but here's another pic where it does.

View attachment 1463690 View attachment 1463690

Attachments

• cob group pic.jpg
    cob group pic.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm really surprised you haven't come across an English hammered with all the early sites you've hunted. One of those would be much easier to find that a British milled silver. I've only found 2, and one is a period fake (the other is a William III shilling). A lot of that is due to English law at the time which prohibited all but very small amounts of silver coinage to be exported to the colonies. That wasn't a problem in the 1600s, although coinage in general during that period was in rather short supply.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crazy. The stuff of dreams. I might be half way there but no english or eng. hammered and certainly no lord b. truly remarkable really.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well that sure makes me feel under accomplished at detecting! nice job you must hit those sites hard and proper!

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man,that is one impressive collection of coins! Great job and thanks for posting !HH

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine ever finding one of these in Wa State...love the group pic, it really does the "stunners" justice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread