80B5D67C-9C37-40E5-8E85-B31D6301F138.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 64

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Planted garlic last fall and so far so good.
I always thought it was difficult to do but it’s not to bad.
I have to learn how to cure and store the bulbs after removing from the ground
Do you pick the wild Ramps up there? Wild onions. As a kid we picked them & ate them soaked in vinegar. Strong but good flavor, our breath after eating them would knock a buzzard off a gut pile!

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you pick the wild Ramps up there? Wild onions. As a kid we picked them & ate them soaked in vinegar. Strong but good flavor, our breath after eating them would knock a buzzard off a gut pile!
If you do not mind me answering that too, I picked some ramps this year. Used to do all the time but not so much lately. They grow over 4000 feet elevation around where I get them in the Cherokee National Forest and the Nantahala. Your description is spot on.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do not mind me answering that too, I picked some ramps this year. Used to do all the time but not so much lately. They grow over 4000 feet elevation around where I get them in the Cherokee National Forest and the Nantahala. Your description is spot on.
Zeb,s breath would be improved by eating some of those!

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your garlic crop is looking good Bill. I eat garlic every day . I'll put it in just about everything. I see you use black kow also. I use it my garden for the tomato plants. I'll be taking my tomato plants out of the pots next week and planting them in my garden.

Last edited:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your garlic crop is looking good Bill. I eat garlic every day . I'll put it in just about everything. I see you use blackcow also. I use it my garden for the tomato plants. I'll be taking my tomato plants out of the pots next week and planting them in my garden.
Nothing better than pickled garlic

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you cut the scapes off, the underground bulbs will grow larger, you can use the scapes in pan fried meals, salids or eat them raw.
Thanks… sounds like a lot of people like to eat them I’ll have to try it
I need to learn the best method to cure and store them.I would hate to see them spoil

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. Like your raised beds and deer fense.
Thanks we always wanted to build a raise bed garden and worked on it last year..
When I put the fence in it’s buried about one foot down to keep the woodchucks out and so far no deer has got in

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks we always wanted to build a raise bed garden and worked on it last year..
When I put the fence in it’s buried about one foot down to keep the woodchucks out and so far no deer has got in
It’s incredible the money I spent to get cedar and fences and special soil trucked in and on and on
But I guess it will pay off in the long run I hope

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
Should you have a nematode infestation, do not plant garlic in the same patch.

You can heat the cloves used as seed stock in water, I do not recall the safe temperature that was suggested. This kills the nematodes making the infected cloves safe for planting.

Source.

“When you think of a nematode you tend to think of the ones that live in the soil such as the root knot and root lesion nematode. The one of concern for garlic growers is the bulb and stem nematode that also eats leaves and lives within the bulb

Screenshot from 2022-05-05 19-36-06.png

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks… sounds like a lot of people like to eat them I’ll have to try it
I need to learn the best method to cure and store them.I would hate to see them spoil
Your garlic is looking great Bill.
Healthy and growing well.
I mentioned about cutting the scapes, and you can freeze them as well because there's always more than one can use.
Leave one to watch it go to seed, that will be an indicator for you to harvest.
I usually hang the garlic in the garage to dry, but this past year I just laid them a tree pot and that's where they stayed till they went into the coxldroom.
It's pretty hard to screw them up, if I can manage to grow them anyone can. :laughing7:

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
The hot water treatment.

Source.

Pre-soak cloves in water (4-5 parts water: 1 part garlic cloves) held at 38°C (100°F) for 30-40 minutes Soak cloves in the hot water bath held at 49°C (120°F) for 20 minutes (Start timing when the temperature reaches 49°C (120°F) and stir the hot water

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mentioned about cutting the scapes, and you can freeze them as well because there's always more than one can use.
I usually hang the garlic in the garage to dry, but this past year I just laid them a tree pot and that's where they stayed till they went into the coxldroom.
It's pretty hard to screw them up, if I can manage to grow them anyone can. :laughing7:
Thank you for information after they dry in the garage can I leave them in the basement.I

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hot water treatment.

Source.

Pre-soak cloves in water (4-5 parts water: 1 part garlic cloves) held at 38°C (100°F) for 30-40 minutes Soak cloves in the hot water bath held at 49°C (120°F) for 20 minutes (Start timing when the temperature reaches 49°C (120°F) and stir the hot water
Thanks for the good information ..it’s amazing to read this..thanks for sharing

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freezing sounds good and leaving one for a indicator is a great idea.
There’s so much to learn here and Thanks for the advice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread