Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your garlic crop is looking good Bill. I eat garlic every day . I'll put it in just about everything. I see you use black kow also. I use it my garden for the tomato plants. I'll be taking my tomato plants out of the pots next week and planting them in my garden.
Yes the kow works well and I had great success with the tomato plants last year by planting marigold flowers around the beds also use tomato tone around the plants and eggs in the hole before planting..every plant was healthy also for sauce we like Roma and San Marzano

Attachments

• 27D9F8D6-6B8A-4966-9338-E13DA9E5D173.jpeg
    27D9F8D6-6B8A-4966-9338-E13DA9E5D173.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to side dress those garlic . I always plant 150 cloves . lots to eat and seed stock to replant this fall.
Should I place more soil on the sides now
150 that’s amazing I’ll try to also plant more this fall

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should you have a nematode infestation, do not plant garlic in the same patch.

You can heat the cloves used as seed stock in water, I do not recall the safe temperature that was suggested. This kills the nematodes making the infected cloves safe for planting.

Source.

“When you think of a nematode you tend to think of the ones that live in the soil such as the root knot and root lesion nematode. The one of concern for garlic growers is the bulb and stem nematode that also eats leaves and lives within the bulb

View attachment 2025091
There’s so many problems we face trying to plant and harvest a few vegetables
I imagine the pesticides the farmers use

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should I place more soil on the sides now
150 that’s amazing I’ll try to also plant more this fall
no not soil , fertilizer . I use this it's available at the big box store.
1651854696566.jpeg
you only get scapes from hard neck garlic , hard neck is what I prefer as the cloves are larger . there's a ton of info on line you can do some research . It's important to harvest at the right time , if left in the ground too long the bulb will break open and that cuts the long shelf life down to just a few months. harvest too soon and they suffer in size. I've been lucky to never have a pest problem with my garlic , I started with certified seed stock and rotate my crop on a 3 year rotation. no garlic or onions grow in the same place for 3 years. i grow most of my own food in a 1/2 acre garden with out the use of chemicals . the few things I do use are Certified organic. It's better to have a small garden you can manage then a large garden full of weeds and pest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no not soil , fertilizer . I use this it's available at the big box store. View attachment 2025179 you only get scapes from hard neck garlic , hard neck is what I prefer as the cloves are larger . there's a ton of info on line you can do some research . It's important to harvest at the right time , if left in the ground too long the bulb will break open and that cuts the long shelf life down to just a few months. harvest too soon and they suffer in size. I've been lucky to never have a pest problem with my garlic , I started with certified seed stock and rotate my crop on a 3 year rotation. no garlic or onions grow in the same place for 3 years. i grow most of my own food in a 1/2 acre garden with out the use of chemicals . the few things I do use are Certified organic. It's better to have a small garden you can manage then a large garden full of weeds and pest.
Thank you for sharing this
I got the hard neck cloves from a nursery last fall..good luck with your gardening.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Planted garlic last fall and so far so good.
I always thought it was difficult to do but it’s not to bad.
I have to learn how to cure and store the bulbs after removing from the ground
Nice job on the garden and garlic Bill. I grow a large amount of garlic, along with a full range garden every year. We have enough garlic for the entire following years use and enough to plant the following year from the same crop. Try elephant garlic sometime. Truely huge.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the garden and garlic Bill. I grow a large amount of garlic, along with a full range garden every year. We have enough garlic for the entire following years use and enough to plant the following year from the same crop. Try elephant garlic sometime. Truely huge.
Thank you for your your reply .sounds like you are doing very well with the garden..
I believe that I got the elephant type also from the nurseries also.
Next time hopefully in the Fall I’ll try to plant more.
Best of Luck
Thanks
Bill

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
no not soil , fertilizer . I use this it's available at the big box store. View attachment 2025179 you only get scapes from hard neck garlic , hard neck is what I prefer as the cloves are larger . there's a ton of info on line you can do some research . It's important to harvest at the right time , if left in the ground too long the bulb will break open and that cuts the long shelf life down to just a few months. harvest too soon and they suffer in size. I've been lucky to never have a pest problem with my garlic , I started with certified seed stock and rotate my crop on a 3 year rotation. no garlic or onions grow in the same place for 3 years. i grow most of my own food in a 1/2 acre garden with out the use of chemicals . the few things I do use are Certified organic. It's better to have a small garden you can manage then a large garden full of weeds and pest.
It's so true in keeping the weeds down in a garden. It's amazing what can happen in a very short period of time.
Nature doesn't like a void.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We do good with green beans jalapeño peppers cucumbers in the past..
Used to get beautiful bell peppers years ago but not now I hope the garlic will be successful.I’m trying for the first time spinach carrots onions also and I need to get better timing the right time to plant things too.
I would love to have a great big garden like you but I don’t have extra freezers yet so I’m limited for now...
Seems weather may get warmer next week over here finally
As time passes please let me know how your garden is doing
Take care

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We do good with green beans jalapeño peppers cucumbers and tomatoes in the past..
Used to get beautiful bell peppers years ago but not now I hope the garlic will be successful.I’m trying for the first time spinach carrots onions also and I need to get better timing the right time to plant things too.
I would love to have a great big garden like you but I don’t have extra freezers yet so I’m limited for now...
Seems weather may get warmer next week over here finally
As time passes please let me know how your garden is doing
Take care

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread