GS Gold stamp... gold shell or not? Help Appreciated!

smokeswift

Jul 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edit: New gold stamp question.. [6K] manufacturers mark? (see newest post on thread)

This is not a treasure find per se, I just need help with deciding on an EBay purchase. And since it's precious-metal related, I thought this would be a good place to ask. Okay, so, I've been looking online for a nice reasonable priced 10k gold chain for myself. I found what seems to possibly be the best price for value on EBay. The only thing is I noticed that the necklace had a GS stamped on one side of the clasp. Not 14KGS or 417 GS.. One side says 10k and the other side says GS. I was curious what GS was so I googled it, only to find that its possible that it could mean Gold Shell or Gold on Silver. Now, this seems to be a reputable jeweler on EBay, 99.8 percent positive feedback, so I decided to send a message about it and ask. They say that GS is the manufacturer in Italy and that GS in no way means Gold Shell in this case. But hold on, don't Italian manufactured 10k Gold products have a 417 stamp and not a 10k? I'm really not sure whether to believe this guy, he seems to be a legit seller but I can't get over this stamp. I can't find any evidence anywhere online of it meaning anything else. What do you guys think? Is he trying to pull a fast one, or is this just a really unfortunate abbreviation for a gold chain manufacturer? You'd think if it was a legit manufacturer, they'd know better than to have a stamp that says GS so as not to confuse people. Anyway, here is a photo here, any help is very much appreciated. All I know about this is what I've googled.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 1

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a gut feeling about something that just doesn't feel right, then follow your instincts.
That's better than buying something and finding out that your gut feeling was on the money and you just got burned.
Welcome to Tnet

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much every piece I've ever found with "14k Italy" on it has been cheap plate, one actually looked like it had just been polished brass. As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't trust it unless I could see it tested in person.

jhumbert40

Sep 13, 2012
Bayville New Jersey
Detector(s) used
whites m-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there...From the looks but I can be wrong...See the O ring attached to the lobster claw looks to me is either poor craftsmanship or a fake.I never seen on any real gold chains have the o ring offset and not soder to where you do not see a seem ....Just my opinion...When in doubt have it checked out....

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I had a 10k GS chain I bought a while ago on eBay. I was always skeptical of it, but had a local jeweler send it out to be tested. It came out to be solid 10k. They thought the GS was the manufacturer. But, I do believe it was marked 417 though, and not "10k"

OP
OP
S

smokeswift

Jul 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, i've decided to leave that chain for now since there's no way to tell. Here's another ebay chain I'm unsure about. Why do manufacturers have to be so confusing by having their stamp read GS or 6K!? lol s-l1600.jpg What do you guys think about this one? The outline around it makes me think that it really is the manufacturers stamp, but again I'm pretty new to this.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Seen this before on another forum, guy found a older gold chain.. GS was the maker

If your looking for a gold chain I would post over on the WTB.. I'm sure there is some nice stuff found by some here on the forum..

OP
OP
S

smokeswift

Jul 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
much appreciated guys. these sellers on ebay have good reviews and seem to be reputable, I am just cautious whenever buying anything on ebay, and especially something like this. I also don't know much about gold, trying to learn though. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread