✅ SOLVED Guess what this encrusted item is before crust is removed... see who comes close...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today at water line...
Guesses are welcomed by everyone to try and guess what it is before I break it out.
I will wait for some really good responses before I remove crust...

Here are the same hints that I know...
tis strong magnetic pull...
a small metallic circular lip is barely visible on raised side... about size of dime...
and weighs 38.8 grams.
was in an area that has swim area close to shore and boats do come in very close there.

DSC00719.JPG DSC00722.JPG DSC00723.JPG DSC00725.JPG DSC00731.JPG

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a puppy!!! I know what that is.... what the heck is that? If I needed one I'd know what it is.

Upvote 0

fmfdoc

Mar 14, 2014
Mc David, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have guessed an iron grommet from an old sail. Either that, or, possibly the nipple bolt from a signal canon or boarding gun.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like a lot of threads this time of year it 100% certified cabin fever.

That's why I did it...
Not for me...
for you :)
Me... I was out getting a sunburn at 10 am digging this...
Amongst the 51 cents in clad...
21 pull tabs... 3 bottle caps... 6 nails and 2 screws... a cotter pin...
3 fish hooks... and 1 small weight..
hmmm think that is it. :)

OH... almost forgot... the foil... 3 pieces...
how could I have forgotten the foil...
heh..

NEW PICS POSTED OF CHUNK GONE ABOVE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pivot mount marine antenna

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You happen to remember name of marina by chance ?
:)

It was called "Garrison Bight Marina" back in those days as stated in my previous post and I believe it is still called that! I still remember the spot where the Rolex went plop because me and a friend tried to retrieve it with my' Dip Net that I used to catch Blue Craps and Shrimp with. The Dip Net had an old broom handle inside it's handle, then I used a 12+ foot aluminum pole (old TV Antenna Pole) to go over the broom handle for strength, stability and as an extension. Everything was held together with metal screws and clamps. All we could bring up off of the bottom were aluminum beer and soda cans, lots of muck and other debris. As far as I know, the Rolex is still there! If you are wanting to dive there to look for it, I doubt that they will let you because they would not let my friend dive for it back then.

Well, I just looked on Google Maps and everything is different than what it was in the early 1980's! If you could find someone who remembers where the refueling pumps were located back then and can pinpoint the spot, then the Rolex is or was on the bottom within a 8 foot length by 3 to 4 foot width along the refueling dock.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
It was called "Garrison Bight Marina" back in those days as stated in my previous post and I believe it is still called that! I still remember the spot where the Rolex went plop because me and a friend tried to retrieve it with my' Dip Net that I used to catch Blue Craps and Shrimp with. The Dip Net had an old broom handle inside it's handle, then I used a 12+ foot aluminum pole (old TV Antenna Pole) to go over the broom handle for strength, stability and as an extension. Everything was held together with metal screws and clamps. All we could bring up off of the bottom were aluminum beer and soda cans, lots of muck and other debris. As far as I know, the Rolex is still there! If you are wanting to dive there to look for it, I doubt that they will let you because they would not let my friend dive for it back then.

Well, I just looked on Google Maps and everything is different than what it was in the early 1980's! If you could find someone who remembers where the refueling pumps were located back then and can pinpoint the spot, then the Rolex is or was on the bottom within a 8 foot length by 3 to 4 foot width along the refueling dock.

Frank

You can't swim?

Upvote 0

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is what one boater said back in the early 1980's when he pulled up to get fuel at the Garrison Bight Marina in Key West. He had laid his' very expensive Rolex Watch on the Gunwale for some unknown reason and when he pulled the gasoline hose onto the boat, it knocked the Rolex off and into the deep and slimy murk of the Marina and as far as I know, was never found.

Frank

Few years back in upper Maryland at a marina on the Chesapeake Bay a running back for the Baltimore Ravens was on a boat and a cute young lady from the boat next to him asked to see his super bowl ring and of course wisely he removed it and handed it over and " plopdamnt" occurred..she dropped the ring in 10" of water.
Our club was called and a member who lived closest responded but by then a lot of ppl had heard and the place was swarmed. Our guy was the one who came up with it, we were/ are very proud of him and the ravens player very appreciative.

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks like my wife's pill container from about 35 years ago. We spent a weekend at that beach and had a great time and....

Saaaaay, that would explain one of my kids.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid particularly when I was scraping hulls...
the most requested things I would dive in after was pool furniture and dock chairs...
then was rings... a few tools etc... pagers was big... sheeeeeeeeeeesh I must have dove for 50 or more pagers over a few years.
one guy dropped his gun in...
few wallets and purses...
Almost all that stuff would end up in either while boarding or unboarding.
When I was scraping hulls I would surface and there would be someone standing there...
It got old after awhile... this interfered with my work quite a bit...
There were never enough drops to make it into a full time money making venture... but I tried ...heh
most people threw me a twenty... one guy gave me 100 once... few fifties here and there...
And a few "thank you's"... which were ok if I was just sitting around the marina...
but let me tell you...
Try it...
try diving dock water in search of a ring.
wallet and pager were easier by far.
And I was making great money in my youth scraping hulls.

OH PS>>> I do not know if many you are aware... but "things"... linger under docks...
Strange things... sometimes BIG things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but let me tell you...
Try it...
try diving dock water in search of a ring.
wallet and pager were easier by far.

Oh, I know it! I have dove under marina docks for "underwater cleanup days" with my dive club. Most people would never believe how much crap is under the water. If we had a scale we could measure it in the tons, every single year. Tires, batteries, dock chairs, corrugated metal panels, and sooooo many bear bottles and pop cans! A detector is almost useless under a dock!

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know whats gonna happen...you'll get all the crust off, and you, and all of us will be like "what IS that anyways?"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know whats gonna happen...you'll get all the crust off, and you, and all of us will be like "what IS that anyways?"

lol bwd...
then we have to guess AFTER it is free of crust as well... heh.

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
304 stainless is non magnetic,309 is,i think they add carbon to it sometimes to take heat better,i have know idea what you have found though
300 series S/S is generally not magnetic.
309 is not magnetic unless it is cold worked and even then it is only mildly magnetic.

400 series S/S has a higher carbon content and is very magnetic. 400 series S/S is used in a lot of products but is often used for knives because the higher carbon content allows it to hold a sharper edge longer.

EDIT: And I don't know what it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually... SS is measured by grades...
Me... I look at it to ways... low grade or high grade...
anyway...
Marine grade stainless, or SAE 316 stainless steel, is a molybdenum-alloyed steel and is the second most common austenite stainless steel (after grade 304). It is the preferred steel for use in marine environments because of its greater resistance to pitting corrosion than other grades of steel.
On cookware look for 18/8 or use a magnet.
The "grade" of stainless steel refers to its quality, durability and temperature resistance. The numbers (18/8, 18/10, etc.) are the composition of the stainless steel and refer to the amount of chromium and nickel (respectively) in the product.
When you see stainless steel labeled as 18/8 or 18/10 this is telling you how much chromium and nickel is in the steel. The first number indicates 18% chromium, and the second 8% or 10% nickel. The nickel is the key to forming austenite stainless steel. Both the 18/8 and 18/10 are therefore austenitic.
austenitic, or nickel-containing, non-magnetic stainless steel, is highly resistant to corrosion.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread