Gulfstream Rarities half reale

BobbyO

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received a framed Gulfstream Rarities 1715 Fleet Half Reale. Got it off Ebay with the thought it is a fake but wanted it anyway for the heck of it. Was planning on taking the coin out of the frame so I could really look at both sides under a scope. But once I got it, it really looked good and does make a good display piece. I would feel more comfortable in displaying this in my mancave office instead of one of my nicer, authentic reales that I keep in a safe. I expected it to be smaller but the coin is approximately 1.25" wide and 1.5" tall. Just wondering, is there anyway to make a determination as to it's authenticity without taking it out of the frame? I can see all the edges ok and don't see any seams. Thanks!

goldnsilver

Jun 25, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID
Vintage 1980's
Whites Goldmaster
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would like to see a photo of it if possible.

OP
OP
B

BobbyO

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN9186.JPG DSCN9188.JPG DSCN9189.JPG

Here are the pics.

OP
OP
B

BobbyO

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kind of my thoughts too..

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks good, what does it weigh? It seems big for a half reale.

I've found worn halves on the treasure coast and they are about the size of a dime.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with Fisher

I just received a framed Gulfstream Rarities 1715 Fleet Half Reale. Got it off Ebay with the thought it is a fake but wanted it anyway for the heck of it. Was planning on taking the coin out of the frame so I could really look at both sides under a scope. But once I got it, it really looked good and does make a good display piece. I would feel more comfortable in displaying this in my mancave office instead of one of my nicer, authentic reales that I keep in a safe. I expected it to be smaller but the coin is approximately 1.25" wide and 1.5" tall. Just wondering, is there anyway to make a determination as to it's authenticity without taking it out of the frame? I can see all the edges ok and don't see any seams. Thanks!

Usually the COAs have an embedded picture.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is a cast fake. You should have trusted your gut instinct. But as you said, you wanted something to hang in your mancave. The piece will be sterling (Terri never used pot metal). He owned his own framing company and produced these at little cost. Cobb Coin Co. is another name that he used. Worse is that the Cobb Coin Co. actually used Gulfstream Rarities embossed seal on the cert.

In the future, when you see a Gulfstream Rarities or Cobb Coin Co., run away. On occasion, there are some legit pieces put in the frames. He had done some Admiral Garner and low grade Atocha pieces. The coins are available via wholesale without certs and are resold. But for the most part, the cobs are all fakes except for the low grade Atocha pieces.

Don't believe me? You can google Gulfstream Rarities fake cobs for your own results. There was a thread here on TNet in 2010 that confirmed the suspicions at the time. YouTube has evidence along with numerous other sites.

Edit: Even if you knew nothing about the history of Gulfstream Rarities, as a collector, that would have to be the largest half reale that anyone has seen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BobbyO

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Diver Down. I figured it was fake when I bought it. Got it cheap. I have been studying cobs to improve my knowledge of authentic vs fake. Hard to do without actually studying fakes. Did the same with Louis Vuitton products. Pretty good at determining those fakes. Trying to have the same skills with the cobs. I have read the cob book by Sedwick and lots of info on google. If you have any other good info on fakes, please pass it to me if you can. Thanks again.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach find half reale

weighed 1.1 gram

Attachments

• IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 438

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a cool piece. Welcome from Mi. Tommy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Display the way it is framed, nice piece.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread