C

Coindetector1

Jan 2, 2017
San Antonio
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter/ Whites Dfx E series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8C2694CB-891C-447E-A719-46186297CCA4.jpeg F91932FC-FDBC-40A3-97FF-4957297E9336.jpeg 2CBDC3A2-B4D3-4AAB-89B9-772C1DD1BB62.jpeg what ya think

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would start a post with an insult? (Karens)

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Japanese type 99 Arisaka, WWII. Yours has all the parts, the cover for the bolt, anti aircraft sights and tripod. From what I understand, the US Government never owned it as the Japanese Chrysanthemum is still on the top of the gun. Only an individual soldier would have brought it back with the flower motif still intact. Never refinish it yourself. The wood and finish they used is extremely toxic. (I researched them awhile back.)

OP
OP
C

Coindetector1

Jan 2, 2017
San Antonio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the helpful info considering the first Karen, first post. I’m such an ass lol. Thanks for the knowledge!

OP
OP
C

Coindetector1

Jan 2, 2017
San Antonio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have the bayonet in which I believe is original with the rifle. Not sure how to tell. I am more of a coin and fisherman. Has the shief... I believe it’s called

OP
OP
C

Coindetector1

Jan 2, 2017
San Antonio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have this rifle. Another Arisaka. I understand pieces of the Jap rifles were sent home to America in pieces due to not being able to bring them home whole so I hear. I believe I have one that has been assembled from pieces sent home.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All were ordered to be destroyed

A very nice example with bayonet included was listed on Gunbroker as ":sold:- $ 1,100"

Seems a bit steep to me. But then again an 8mm M48 Turkish Mausers are getting listed between $500-$900. I sold one about five years ago for 1-1/2 times the $200 I paid for it.

Have you got bullets for it? I know you could get 7.7mm Arisaka ammunition back in the late fifties. But the supply has probably been depleted by now. Without ammunition it is just a wall hanger. Maybe not, you could always stab something to death with that bayonet.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father brought half of Europe back with him, at least that was the way he told the story. If he did, he parted with his stuff in the 50's and 60's. My uncle brought back an Arisaka intact. You can still buy ammunition. They only make it a couple times a year, so you have to check local stores often. It is very expensive. At least as far as I'm concerned. About $45 a box of 20 rounds.

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other rifle you posted has been sporterized, altered to turn it into a hunting rifle. Actually the servicemen were allowed to bring rifles back at the end of WW2, there were piles of Arisakas and anyone who wanted could take one. The were sometimes taken apart and even the stocks cut so they would fit into a duffle bag, just to make it easier to transport.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other rifle you posted has been sporterized, altered to turn it into a hunting rifle. Actually the servicemen were allowed to bring rifles back at the end of WW2, there were piles of Arisakas and anyone who wanted could take one. The were sometimes taken apart and even the stocks cut so they would fit into a duffle bag, just to make it easier to transport.

That was probably depending on the outfit as far as being able to bring things home. My Dad was a Marine. They were told they would be confiscated at the port if they tried. He had 2 footlockers filled with souvenirs and he said after spending that time in Hell in the south Pacific, he wasn't going to be detained coming home. He left the lockers on the dock. He did say later that their "ruse" worked somewhat. Many guys did the same thing, but many carried prizes in and he didn't see the first one stopped for it..he was peeved to say the least.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "smallfoot" versions seems to be a common occurrence. What the GIs were instructed to do vs. what they did were different matters.

Some were a little bolder than others. I had a scoutmaster who brought a M3 sub-machine gun (the "grease-gun") home from Europe in his WWII gear. Turned in his issued one but had picked up a second. He claimed a lot of GIs were allowed to send home sporting firearms confiscated after the war. His unit destroyed hundreds of civilian rifles & shotguns by backing the treads of a half-track over them beside a raised road curb to bend the barrel & shatter the stocks.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was probably depending on the outfit as far as being able to bring things home. My Dad was a Marine. They were told they would be confiscated at the port if they tried. He had 2 footlockers filled with souvenirs and he said after spending that time in Hell in the south Pacific, he wasn't going to be detained coming home. He left the lockers on the dock. He did say later that their "ruse" worked somewhat. Many guys did the same thing, but many carried prizes in and he didn't see the first one stopped for it..he was peeved to say the least.
Very well may have been unit specific, I have a type 99 that a family friend brought back. Everyone in is unit could grab one from the pile if they wanted.

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
times have certainly changed...got in a bunch o trouble for bringing back AK's from Grenada...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread