Guns on claims

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I look at it from the perspective of a camp fire permit. Sure they say a permit is required, but nobody can deny you the right to build a fire to survive. That means you can carry a book of matches around just in case the need arises.

These laws are a social compact. We agree to follow them up until the point that they affect our ability to live.

"I rarely encounter armed people when out in the boonies."
I bet you encounter more armed people than you realize.

Trust me...I'd know.
jim

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Game laws on rifles in the field usually break down to center fire vs rim fire. Rim fire can usually be carried while big game seasons are underway. But taking this a bit further one could reasonably argue that a mining claim is "real property".....and "public domain" as opposed to "public lands". The rules of having a rifle on your private land is different than on public lands subject to a different standard of rules. It makes for some very interesting considerations. But not wanting to get into huge debates while out on a claim one might reasonably assume that the pistol open carry is more than adequate to alleviate any predator concerns or safety measures.

Bejay

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great points, Bejay!
Jim

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Game laws on rifles in the field usually break down to center fire vs rim fire. Rim fire can usually be carried while big game seasons are underway. But taking this a bit further one could reasonably argue that a mining claim is "real property".....and "public domain" as opposed to "public lands". The rules of having a rifle on your private land is different than on public lands subject to a different standard of rules. It makes for some very interesting considerations. But not wanting to get into huge debates while out on a claim one might reasonably assume that the pistol open carry is more than adequate to alleviate any predator concerns or safety measures.

Bejay

True, unless your an adult age 18 thru 21....then what?
(being that most states prohibit possession of a handgun until age 21)

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The original question was about Idaho. Nobody in Idaho, assuming you're not acting like a maniac, is going to bother you for packing a pistol while prospecting, even if you're only 18. Now, that said, if you're in a really touristy area, filled with cops, you might get age-checked. So are you trying to turn this simple question into a discussion of what the laws should be, etc? If so, the considerate thing to do is start yourself a new thread on the political board, rather than highjack this thread.
Jim

Last edited:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The original question was about Idaho. Nobody in Idaho, assuming you're not acting like a maniac, is going to bother you for packing a pistol while prospecting, even if you're only 18.
Jim
Ditto Jim....NOBODY in Idaho or Montana is gonna mess with you if you're packing, especially out in the brush! I was packing today while detecting for nuggets as the bears are starting to show up. I've even accidently walked into my bank in town packing a .41mag in a shoulder holster and didn't even realize it until I got back to my PU.....nobody said a word....lol

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post Edited: Jim, perhaps you are responding to a comment I made, which was immediately deleted after having second thoughts.

Sure I could tone down my remarks, but I don’t take kindly to being told to take a hike.
Had the OP expressed concern that the discussion was going sideways, I would have respectfully apologized. I’m not sure I understand your stake in the whole Hijack issue.

Last edited:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Imaudigger said: "(being that most states prohibit possession of a handgun until age 21)"

I did not know this. Is this documented state by state?

Bejay

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imaudigger said: "(being that most states prohibit possession of a handgun until age 21)"

I did not know this. Is this documented state by state?

Bejay

Apparently it isn’t pertinent to the discussion, but yes it’s Federal law that you have to be 21 to purchase/possess a handgun. However there IS an exemption and it involves Idaho and Montana.
In those cases, it doesn’t matter because all of the law enforcement officers are cool with it.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually to be completely honest, gun laws pertaining to age limits appear to vary from state to state.
Unalienable rights pertaining to self protection do not vary (as Clay mentioned).
It’s at each person’s discretion as to the decision to exercise those rights or not.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't carry a pistol during Archery season while actively hunting in Ca.

It would seem that it would be up to the officer you end up dealing with when you do.

And what they decide your intent actually is

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Scottish888, There are states in the USA that are friendly with the fact the people own firearms. Some states allow open carry either with or without permits per their state law. The USA would not be the USA IF the people back before 76 had not had their own firearms.

FACT: The Police in the USA can not stop crime they can only take the report after the crime has happened. A crime will be perpetrated on an Honest Citizen and the police can do nothing about it. Each Citizen is responsible for their own well being! Each state has variations on their firearms laws and currently here in the USA Horrific Violent acts using firearms have been taking place. Some people in the USA want all firearms taken away from all citizens but then only the Government and the Criminals will have firearms and at times in history the Government has been the criminal.

California is one of the States that is so intent on removing our rights to own firearms. Police, Forest Service Agents and the like have become increasingly ugly to the citizens of this state about firearms and yet these Government agents are unable to protect us at all hours of the day. Each Citizen must protect their self and even this thought runs into sticky legal ground as legal citizens that have had to protect themselves from criminals have lost in courts because the citizen damaged the crook in the very act of stealing property as well as having entered a private home without permission.

Be careful in California! I commonly carry a small plastic bottle filled with a STRONG ground pepper. This works on animals with either two or four legs.

Here in the State of California though in the 1970's I had the Honor of instructing a Girl Scout Troop on a rifle related firearms safety course and after weeks of instructions we went to the Coyote Point Shooting Range for live fire practice. The Range Master on duty was not pleased to see all "those girls" however after they demonstrated their safe use of the firearm he gave me the biggest smile. He did not happen to mention that he'd loaned them a spotting scope, a range rifle and had given them all the targets they could ever use. I've taught all three of my own children how to use rifles and handguns. When I am out in the California Wilderness I carry a very large handgun (454 Casull caliber) as the Bears out there are Plentiful, have wrecked many of my camps, ruined my equipment and stolen my food and IF I had gotten in their way I would have been in trouble. I have NO desire to shoot a bear or any wild animal BUT if it is a me or them situation then I will defend myself to their demise if needed. Usually firing the weapon into the ground produces so much noise they choose to leave and I'm good with that!

Be aware of the prospecting rules in California as they can change from location to location. Do not expect that the Ranger or Policeman you ask about the rules ACTUALLY knows and understands the actual rules, its a mess here due to Illegal California Actions violating our Federal Mining Rights. Locate a prospecting shop in or near the area you will be closest to for input on the laws in that location. Pans are allowed but the types of digging tools have some strange restrictions.

I hope you have an enjoyable time as the beauty of the Out Doors in California is special!..............63bkpkr

IMG_3376.JPG 184_8445_r1.jpg 2003 Nfar Herb & Justin 17.JPG

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr, I helped teach a shooting class for young 4-H students.
Great experience for all involved. The girls shot just as well, if not better than some of the boys.
Shame on anyone if they preclude girls from shooting activities!
Of all people, they benefit the most from firearm instruction.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I have been surrounded by a traveling den of rattle snakes in Oregon in the fall of the year many years ago. Hundreds of snakes! I now pack a nice aluminum .22 pistol loaded with 10 rounds of snake loads when I'm in what I consider snake country. Still have occasional nightmares involving snakes! :)

hawkeye39

May 12, 2013
Surprise, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI SL
Whites GMT
GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your rights are the same whether you are a citizen or a visitor. Visitors have additional restrictions on their visit terms but not on their natural rights. If a citizen has a right to bear arms so does a visitor.

Heavy Pans

You may have the same basic rights but you won't legally have any firearms. You can not bring firearms into the U.S. of A. without a permit. Generally for hunting or shooting competitions only. See:

Bringing Firearms into the U.S. ? ezbordercrossing

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope no one thought I was implying that someone could import foreign firearms into the country without a permit?

The subject is "Guns on claims", my comments were directed towards that subject and the question "wondering if anyone else knows if the feds have issues with them on blm or nat forests, on your claim or not?"

How you got the gun wasn't even a subject of the thread or my comments on the posters question. Could be an interesting, but different, thread I imagine. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAUDIGGER, I agree with you Completely! The Girl Scouts, about 15 of them of various ages, were shooting good tight groups and having Good Safe FUN doing it. And like I said earlier, it was an honor to be teaching them how to safely handle and use a firearm...........63bkpkr

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAUDIGGER, I agree with you Completely! The Girl Scouts, about 15 of them of various ages, were shooting good tight groups and having Good Safe FUN doing it. And like I said earlier, it was an honor to be teaching them how to safely handle and use a firearm...........63bkpkr

The younger you start them out the better. My daughter is coming up tomorrow to visit from college.
Going to be nice weather...I think I will talk her into doing some shooting with the .22 that I bought her 10 years ago (when she was 8 years old). It's a Remington Model 34. So glad I didn't go the Chipmunk route like many other parents did. My son got my Ruger 10/22 (which was my first gun at 8 years old).

To keep this on topic, I think we will shoot go shooting on the local mining claim.

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently it isn’t pertinent to the discussion, but yes it’s Federal law that you have to be 21 to purchase/possess a handgun. However there IS an exemption and it involves Idaho and Montana.
In those cases, it doesn’t matter because all of the law enforcement officers are cool with it.

I think you are mistaken on Federal Law concerning firearms purchase and possession Imadigger. Licensed dealers are not permitted to sell handguns to people under the age of 21. Unlicensed persons (general public) may not sell a handgun to anyone under the age of 18. State laws vary quite a bit though.

Mike

SUMMARY OF FEDERAL LAW

Federal law in this area distinguishes between long guns (rifles and shotguns) and handguns, and between gun possession and gun sales. Federal law also provides stronger age restrictions for sales by licensed gun sellers.
MINIMUM AGE FOR GUN SALES AND TRANSFERS

Under federal law —Handguns Long Guns (Rifles and Shotguns)
Licensed firearms dealersDealers may not sell or deliver a handgun or ammunition for a handgun to any person the dealer has reasonable cause to believe is under age 21.7Dealers may not sell or deliver a long gun, or ammunition for a long gun, to any person the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under age 18.8
Unlicensed personsUnlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under age 18, with certain exceptions*.9Unlicensed persons may sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer a long gun or long gun ammunition to a person of any age.

Minimum Age for Gun Possession: Subject to limited exceptions*, federal law prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by any person under the age of 18. Federal law provides no minimum age for the possession of long guns or long gun ammunition.
*Exceptions: Federal law provides exceptions for the temporary transfer and possession of handguns and handgun ammunition for specified activities, including employment, ranching, farming, target practice and hunting.11

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions