Guns?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
He probably wouldn't give an "opinion" to that M/F TROPHY HUNTER.He just about drove the Tigers into EXTINCTION.I lived in India.I know more than someone relying on Wiki for their World Views.He didn't "save India" the Tigers live in a very small part of India,and rub Elbows with the poor Woodcutters,trying to make a Living.
In Corbett's account there is a reference to woodcutters.
A large scale clearing of land operation involving a very large camp.
I don't recall exact estimate but a thousand /couple thousand workers.
My thought was of the destruction of land/habitat firstly. With understandable empathy when a maneater is about.
Corbett explains multiple causes for cats preying on humans. Which mattered little to those knowing or being victims.
Letters are documented as well. From citizens. And from political figures.
They were not promoting trophy hunting. They were seeking relief. (And Corbett passed on cats too. His purpose was not to eliminate the specie. Rather those in it actively causing harm to citizens and thier well being.)
His reason for responding was his seeking mankillers. Not cats in general. One cat he writes of watching grow over time. Had he wanted to kill it he would have. But it was not a targeted as a problem cat.
Not just an isolated case of woodcutters and one cat.
But villagers cutting fodder, attempting to harvest or work crops. Or even travel far from their doors. When hundreds of mortalities are involved , it's not a harmonious live and let live relationship that follows.
Then there was the preying on livestock. A single cow or buffalo might mean little to you or I.
But it did some people.

Humans have been prey long enough that a portion of them will seek relief from attack.
A portion here are willing to counter deadly force with deadly force.
Fine if you don't. But don't impose your choice of being easy prey to others.

Corbett was called on for being a portion of those with the means and ability to cat and mouse with menacing aggressors proven to be using deadly force on a vulnerable populace.. And at times it was doubtful which entity was the mouse.

In competition to survive, predators above humans tend to lose. Not always. But over time they get persecuted. Bear for example. A community is not likely to be content with frequent attacks on members and say it's just bear being bear and we need to live in harmony.
A distant community with no bear chewing on it's members can and has insisted bear need to be untouched.

When human predators preying on humans create the condition of a strong defense being desired to counter them , guns are one tool some employ.
Not everyone is efficient with a stick. For varied reasons. One of which is felon class people having access to guns from multiple sources. Even South America's Southern doors.
Sticks don't counter such predators on a balanced scale.

Paranoia is unjustified unwarranted delusion. And far removed from a person being armed to counter deadly force directed at them.
Ones ability to defend ones self is dependent upon ones self.
Those killed without being able to defend themselves might agree. Even if pacifists.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Discussion" began when I Posted my disdain, on seeing a little Boy with a Gun.Posted by some whiner.The reaction was volatile..I was jumped on by Gun lovers(mostly by Southern State Denizens and ex-Military)...After a few insults I responded.And it was taken on by the "Fantastic Four"...A mutual Admiration Group(you know who you are)Bragging about what they "Carry"out in Public.

It goes way beyond "self protection" and becomes a way of Life,for all those Paranoid People living in fear.They live it and breath it.It's a large part of what they see themselves as.They live in small Rural Towns(Dumas Arkansas)where there are no People of Color,And everyone is a Flag waver.(Pride is One of the Seven Deadly Sins.)
You didn't post your "disdain", you started insulting members because of their support of our 2nd amendment rights, and continue to insult them because of where they are born and live. You are doing it right now.

Once a War-Dog,always a War-Dog....ARF,arf.

You are the one who sidetracked the thread with your disdain of anyone who owns, carries, or supports our right to own, use and carry a firearm.

Keep your insults to yourself, or take it to the politics forum. This is not the politics forum, we have rules on language and decorum here.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Sorry, not on topic but I can't let SS go....
A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:

List of 7 items:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won’t see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information…. The NY Sullivan Act intended to tip the advantage toward Irish criminals, away from Italian criminals, and far away from the lawful.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it’s too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are ‘citizens’. Without them, we are ‘subjects’.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
You didn't post your "disdain", you started insulting members because of their support of our 2nd amendment rights, and continue to insult them because of where they are born and live. You are doing it right now.

You are the one who sidetracked the thread with your disdain of anyone who owns, carries, or supports our right to own, use and carry a firearm.

Keep your insults to yourself, or take it to the politics forum. This is not the politics forum, we have rules on language and decorum here.
OK......................................................

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stoneshirt, please move on to a different thread.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Discussion" began when I Posted my disdain, on seeing a little Boy with a Gun.Posted by some whiner.The reaction was volatile..I was jumped on by Gun lovers(mostly by Southern State Denizens and ex-Military)...After a few insults I responded.And it was taken on by the "Fantastic Four"...A mutual Admiration Group(you know who you are)Bragging about what they "Carry"out in Public.

It goes way beyond "self protection" and becomes a way of Life,for all those Paranoid People living in fear.They live it and breath it.It's a large part of what they see themselves as.They live in small Rural Towns(Dumas Arkansas)where there are no People of Color,And everyone is a Flag waver.(Pride is One of the Seven Deadly Sins.)
Au Contraire oh fool.If you,d taken the time to look it up,my town is majority people of color,our Mayor is a woman of color,my neighbors are all people of color,and I don,t live in fear.You know about as much about the Southern States as I know about Colombia,if that,s where you really live. To speak to your quote of the seven deadly sins."Judge not lest ye be judged"!

thormchammer

Dec 14, 2021
Timbered regions of the PNW.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did 20+ years in the Army (Combat Arms) and I have never shot anybody. I consider myself a "pacifist", but if somebody threatens me or a loved one with serious bodily harm, they will get my full wrath of whatever it takes.

Back on subject if I find a gun "modern" vintage I will turn it in. Pre 1921 I will keep.

It was a pellet gun. Just FYI.

thormchammer

Dec 14, 2021
Timbered regions of the PNW.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a prick. I talked about what firearms I carry in another chat, and I carry them because I have used them in self defense before. I have negotiated my way out of situations with trespassers/meth camps on lands I manage. During the marijuana wars in Nor. Cal in the early 2010’s I navigated illegal cartel camps. I am a forester, often working alone deep in the woods and to call me paranoid for carrying is ignorant. My first year in the woods a forester was killed by an illegal, trespass opium grower in Ft. Bragg, Ca. Jere Melo. I carry as a means of defense and is it paranoid if I’ve had to use it? You are a conceded small minded person self absorbed in your own self righteousness, and I can’t abide people so sanctimoniously smug as yourself. Ironic you say pride is a deadly sin as you sit on your high horse judging. Pride cometh before the fall, and your pride will lead to your fall. Good luck and good riddance.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a prick. I talked about what firearms I carry in another chat, and I carry them because I have used them in self defense before. I have negotiated my way out of situations with trespassers/meth camps on lands I manage. During the marijuana wars in Nor. Cal in the early 2010’s I navigated illegal cartel camps. I am a forester, often working alone deep in the woods and to call me paranoid for carrying is ignorant. My first year in the woods a forester was killed by an illegal, trespass opium grower in Ft. Bragg, Ca. Jere Melo. I carry as a means of defense and is it paranoid if I’ve had to use it? You are a conceded small minded person self absorbed in your own self righteousness, and I can’t abide people so sanctimoniously smug as yourself. Ironic you say pride is a deadly sin as you sit on your high horse judging. Pride cometh before the fall, and your pride will lead to your fall. Good luck and good riddance.
Well said!!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stone, shooting is still an Olympic sport and there are thousands, rather millions of people in this country and many other countries who enjoy target shooting. Has nothing to do with pacifism, religion, or politics, shooting is and has been a sport for centuries. Before target shooting with gunpowder there was archery, and I bet they had friendly sling and stone competitions and spear chucking competitions. Don't forget darts down at the pub. All of above can be used to kill but are also sports where no killing is involved or intended. How about knocking down the metal bottles with a ball at the fair? All part of people's enjoyment of hitting a target with another object (projectile).

Myth, good luck on finding the musket, or any other firearm, just not a common occurrence. There are several in my avatar photo along with some CW artillery shells and cannister, but I was really lucky and in the right area fifty years ago. They were not found with a detector but by digging in a spot where research showed such things were rumored to be buried. Most folks hunt for decades without finding any firearms.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish but I have not found a gun yet. On that note, we have a big coyote problem here on the cape. Up to 5 in a pack sometimes. So when I'm way out in the woods, I take my 9mm Berretta along just in case.
if you find one i will meet you at seagull beach HH jim

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do you, Ill do me. To me you are the weird one who cares not about their safety.
Stoneshirt cant reply, he is on a timeout for insulting members.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, when you do find a weapon from detecting around, what do you usually do with it? And what's the most effective solution in handing that?
Since I started metal detecting in 1968 I have found 2 guns detecting. The Stark County Ohio Sheriffs dept. Had me in 2 rivers looking for a 308 rifle and a typerwritter that Thomas Lee Dillon had used in his crime of murder. In the Tuscarawas river near Sandyville ohio i found a 22 long rifle and 357 magnum pistol. neither were used by Dillon. I never heard any thing on the 22 but was told the 357 had been used in a robbery in Canton Ohio. In the big sandy creek near Magnolia they had me in the big creek looking for a type writter Dillon had used to write A MEAN letter to one of the victims mother explaing how much he had enjoyed killing her son. On that search i did find Safe aboujt 4 ft by 4 ft x 4 ft with the door cut off. It was stollen from a auto body shop in CANTON Ohio. NO typewriter was found. Dillon died in prison a few years back :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread