Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
here is the question that was posed to me with my response to them his question started me thinking
What is the purpose of the factory reset after switching coils?
honestly I really cannot answer your question, when I was first starting out detecting the person that was teaching me said to do a factory reset if I switch to a different coil so I have always done a factory reset when I change coils I started out in 2009 and the person that was teaching me was from the metal detecting store I purchased my first detector from, I have also read it over the years by well known detectorist, It does not hurt anything in the detector so i just do it the way I was taught to do it

the above question was in reply to a thread I replied to on the Legend and my response to him

is it actually necessary to do a factory reset when switching to a different coil, every detector I have used I just did the factory reset because that is what I was taught to do when I first started detecting by someone I trusted knew what they were teaching me, but this question was posed to me and I could not really give a definitive answer to Hbot37s question so it got me to question the way I have always done things, when thinking about doing a factory reset you are literally erasing any and all custom user setting you have set and it is a pain in the butt especially if you do not have you custom user programs put down on a card or have a very very good memory.

so now I am posing the question to all of treasure net so what say ye that knows the answer to this question that was posed to me and why do you do a factory reset when changing coils if that is in fact the case

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was having issues one time I had called Garrett and they told me my problem was caused because I wasn't doing a factory reset between coils and it fixed my problem. It was explained to me that the machine needs to recognize the new coil. I would assume it's because of different size and more wraps of wire on the coil completely changes how it will read.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I was having issues one time I had called Garrett and they told me my problem was caused because I wasn't doing a factory reset between coils and it fixed my problem. It was explained to me that the machine needs to recognize the new coil. I would assume it's because of different size and more wraps of wire on the coil completely changes how it will read.
well like I said I have always done a factory reset when I change coils but when I was questioned as to why I did that I had no explination for the person that posed the question so like I stated it got me to questioning as to why to do the the factory reset when I make a coil change, your explanation makes sense though thanks for replying

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
after thinking about this and your reply I do recall back in 2009 when I first started detecting the person that was teaching me about detectors did say something to the affect that you stated as to why you do the factory reset when changing coils, it takes my mind a bit to recall things from 13 years ago LOL

Again thanks for the great explanation as to the why

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never heard or done a factory reset when changing a coil using Minelabs.
However, I've read Garrett users saying on AT Pro or Max - you do have to do a factory reset when you change coils.
Still this makes no sense because you are changing software settings not hardware on a coil change but if manual states this,
then I would do it. And you'd lose user profile settings.
quickref lookup:

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I never heard or done a factory reset when changing a coil using Minelabs.
However, I've read Garrett users saying on AT Pro or Max - you do have to do a factory reset when you change coils.
Still this makes no sense because you are changing software settings not hardware on a coil change but if manual states this,
then I would do it. And you'd lose user profile settings.
quickref lookup:
the person I learned from was teaching me on a Xterra 705 I really cannot answer as to why the person would have said to do a factory reset, but I have always done so on every detector I have used since 2009, i never really questioned as to why but like I stated I do recall the person teaching stating something to the affect that Back of the Boat stated

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never heard of this instruction, that I remember. I have been using the AT Max and changing coils for a few seasons. I’m going to give it a try and see if I notice anything.

Thanks for the original post and those who replied.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The thing is when I posted my thread if I would have been thinking more clearly and thought this out a little better up until we were given the 1.08 now 1.09 version for the Legend there was no way to do a factory reset of the Legend

the first Legend I received had the 1.04 version my wife's Legend was 1.05 but was updated by the dealer I purchased from to 1.07 before he shipped it to me, there was no way to do a factory reset at all, 1.05, 1.06, 1.07 were the same no way to do a factory reset then 1.08 came out which added a way to do a factory reset the 1.08 version had issues and Nokta/Macro quickly released what is now 1.09

Nokta/Macro does state when updating to a new version software or firmware now it is critical to do a factory reset once you have installed the new updates which that statement by Nokta/Macro was added later with the 1.08 now 1.09

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread