Had to end it with the New 49,s mining club

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know what their problem is, are they scamming us, this year I became a lifetime member and paid the down payment as they required and expected that every month they would charge my account for what was due. It was misleading for a few months later I get a notice that I owe money. Apparently I was supposed to send a check to them every month, I was never notified of that but the main problem is that is if you are an associate member you can pay online but a lifetime member can't.

Upvote 1

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been a member of the New49ers for many years. The two longtime gals who ran the office (terrific individuals) both died in recent years. I don’t know the new office people other than a casual stop in the business to pay yearly dues or grab some type of equipment.

Ed you should have been able to resolve this long before now. You seemed to have been a very satisfied associate member for many years. Perhaps another try, if your’e still interested, would be successful.

This has always been a great club for new prospectors and seasoned miners who for whatever reason, don’t have their own claim. All of the club claims have very good gold.

I know the founder and owner of the club, Dave McCracken, to be a truly honorable person who believes in truth, law and integrity. I consider him to be my friend.

I have many friends, as well as relatives, of the local tribes. Tolowa, Yurok, Hoopa and Karuk. I know them to have the same qualities, sometimes from a different perspective.

The differences with the native peoples could have been handled better on both sides. I’m not aware of the offensive incidents mentioned at the tribes ceremonial event and do not believe the founder of this club would have tolerated it.

I did not agree with many of the methods for resolving the matters involving dredging in the courts, but I also do not believe the legal battles with California could have been won in the environment of the time.

I hope you all have a happy and prosperous New Year.

Mike

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Somewhat related:

Also:

And:

Map of Karuk Tribe Aboriginal Territory:
Maybe I'm missing something here.

How does this effect "Mineral entry" on a "Mineral deposit"?

The Tribal affairs is on the surface and a "Mineral entry" is subsurface or underground activities.

The "Waters" is a Federal / State matter.

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Karuk tribe is what got things shut down far as I know?? Hadn’t heard a mining club was involved in the lawsuit. I kind of get what your saying, but that particular tribe is litigious. There is a deep seated resentment bordering on hate for anyone not a member of the tribe.
You are so wrong, the most hated between the tribes and whites are the cross breads, it was a death sentance for anyone not of pure blood on both sides up to the 1960's, I was born in 1955, was told I was Italian to protect me from the prejudices and they were there back then. Think about it my family witch goes back to 1754 in New York had to hide what they were, Ma'tis is the name for us, we are northern euroupean and of the Cree nation in Canada. To cure any hatred is done threw respect from all sides of each other.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold clubs can be monthly card games and annual shindigs for the family. Doesn’t have to be shared claims. But I’m on the same page. Never had much interest in playing around on a claim that is continually worked by many people. Perhaps being able to participate in a larger mining operation would be interesting. I think for many, it’s just a known camping area on the river with the ability to dink around without having to maintain a claim.
club claims can have a lot of missed gold. because most members are there to sit around and complain about how all the gold is gone. Even though they haven't really looked.

Last edited:

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Not sure how it works there but here in Alaska you basically cant access the native lands to prospect.
In some areas up here the BLM has used that to limit access to public lands. They have traded the lands adjecent to the remote roads to the natives in exchangs for inaccessible remote native owned land. Now non-natives cant cross the former public land beside the roads in many areas making many, many 100s (probably easily thousands of square mines in many areas) of square mile blocks effectively inaccessible for all but native groups unless you can afford to fly in.
The feds rather enjoy us not having access to "public" lands and will find many ways to tie it up.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
club claims can have a lot of missed gold. because most members are there to sit around and complain about how all the gold is gone. Even though they haven't really looked.
Interesting. Never searched a club claim before but that almost sounds about right. There is a lot of gold buried just below the surface (1’-15’)

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The main method of mining for this club was dredging for that was what the founder was best at, the only reason lately they started surface mining was because of the dredge ban, one of main reasons I got my claim just above Happy Camp was it never surfaced mined.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main method of mining for this club was dredging for that was what the founder was best at, the only reason lately they started surface mining was because of the dredge ban, one of main reasons I got my claim just above Happy Camp was it never surfaced mined.
How do you go about surface mining a California river claim these days? Shovel and sluice? I hear many people afraid to even use a water pump.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How do you go about surface mining a California river claim these days? Shovel and sluice? I hear many people afraid to even use a water pump.
If one looks within the California Code "Surface mining" is not described. This may have something to do with the fear out there.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The term “Mine” is defined within the State of Oregon code in two different locations.

The State of California is likely the same in defining this term.

The term “Mineral Industries” is also defined in the State of Oregon code.

This may shed some light on the context and usage within the code.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The term " Geology" is also defined withing the State of Oregon code. This is likely the same in the State of California code as well.

This term can shed some light on the complete context usage as well when referring to other terms.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What "Mining clubs" do you know of that will talk about the context usage of certain "Terms"?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It can be difficult to follow along with out looking at some of these terms. Some of the terms may extend into areas that you may not be aware of.

Mining clubs are useful to meet other like minded individuals and be friends with. Maybe go out with on prospects etc.

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The surface and above is where all the gold is, fear is the mind killer, learn the laws and adapt, sluicing is legal in California, the old timers had no problem with it and neither do I. I have haled my A52 into places you would not believe plus my #2 shovel and a 17lb. prybar and also my 5 gal. bucket and personally invented and designed 1/2" classifier. No pumps needed, just Brains.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The surface and above is where all the gold is, fear is the mind killer, learn the laws and adapt, sluicing is legal in California, the old timers had no problem with it and neither do I. I have haled my A52 into places you would not believe plus my #2 shovel and a 17lb. prybar and also my 5 gal. bucket and personally invented and designed 1/2" classifier. No pumps needed, just Brains.
Well gravity isn’t exactly rocket science. But ya, I get your point.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now its the mining clubs making the money instead of the guy selling shovels and picks to the miners haha.
Finding gold has never been more expensive
One does not always need to be a member of a club full time to find a mineral deposit worth investigation or maybe working it.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go to where the mineral deposit is the core basis of making a "Claim". If the mineral deposit goes all the way to the surface then this is what nature has done and has nothing to do with 'man made rules'. It will be your job to both work and document what the mineral deposit is. If you don't you have failed to make a "Claim" in full or in part and will loose the "Claim" starting after about a 2 year time frame.

If you can show anywhere in the "Code" where the phrase / term "Surface mining" is defined please show all where to look. Mining goes a long ways back even before 'State hood' to Territory day's. This can be a very good place to look.

Thank you.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a pointer here. If you start using "Words" and "Phrases" that are not defined by the "Code" you may be starting to go down some kind of rabbit hole where you may not want to go.

Very easy to get all tangled up on "Words / phrases" out side of the context that it is defined by.

Last edited:
OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go to where the mineral deposit is the core basis of making a "Claim". If the mineral deposit goes all the way to the surface then this is what nature has done and has nothing to do with 'man made rules'. It will be your job to both work and document what the mineral deposit is. If you don't you have failed to make a "Claim" in full or in part and will loose the "Claim" starting after about a 2 year time frame.

If you can show anywhere in the "Code" where the phrase / term "Surface mining" is defined please show all where to look. Mining goes a long ways back even before 'State hood' to Territory day's. This can be a very good place to look.

Thank you.
No need for a claim in my state, just mine, placer deposits are surface deposits, code ?. Apparently you may not have state land open to mining in your area, the rivers I have mined for over 30 years are still open to mining if you fallow the laws

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread