✅ SOLVED Had to step back digging this one was unsure what it was 😂 I think it's a vintage glass battery but not sure what year it would be or what used for

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20220210_171930.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220210_171919.jpg
    IMG_20220210_171919.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20220210_171934.jpg
    IMG_20220210_171934.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very cool! They made a lot of different glass batteries during the early 1900's, but seldom do you see a complete one dug up.
That's what I was thinking its rare to find one fully intact it's quite heavy lol

Upvote 4

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find to get an unbroken one!

It’s a British battery from Oldham & Son, established 1865 in Newton on the outskirts of Manchester, and later operating from nearby Denton. Initially they were a millwright and general engineering business, but produced their first lead-acid battery in 1917 and then scaled up production after the WWI ended. Yours should say:

OLDHAM
TYPE O .50 [note it’s a letter ‘O’ and not a zero]
MAXIMUM CHARGE
2.0 AMPS
SPECIFIC GRAVITY
FULLY CHARGED
MAINTAIN LEVEL
WITH
DISTILLED WATER

It will probably have “MADE IN ENGLAND" on the bottom.

‘Type O’ batteries like this were general purpose, used in vehicles and a wide number of other applications. I think it could be from any time in the 1920s to 1930s. Once the battery business blossomed, they famously used the slogan "I told 'em Oldham" for years afterwards and the phrase entered popular culture in reference to anything mechanical or electrical which failed (ie taken to mean that a better one of 'Oldham' quality should have been used).

Upvote 7
OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It’s a British battery from Oldham & Son, established 1865 in Newton on the outskirts of Manchester, and later operating from nearby Denton. Initially they were a millwright and general engineering business, but produced their first lead-acid battery in 1917 and then scaled up production after the WWI ended. Yours should say:

OLDHAM
MAXIMUM CHARGE
2.0 AMPS
SPECIFIC GRAVITY
FULLY CHARGED
MAINTAIN LEVEL
WITH
DISTILLED WATER

‘Type O’ batteries like this were general purpose, used in vehicles and a wide number of other applications. I think it could be from any time in the 1920s to 1930s. Once the battery business blossomed, they famously used the slogan "I told 'em Oldham" for years afterwards and the phrase entered popular culture in reference to anything mechanical or electrical which failed (ie taken to mean that a better one of 'Oldham' quality should have been used).
Wow that's exactly what it says on the glass, how great

OLDHAM
MAXIMUM CHARGE
2.0 AMPS
SPECIFIC GRAVITY
FULLY CHARGED
MAINTAIN LEVEL
WITH
DISTILLED WATER

That's exactly what it says on the bottle, it's great to know the history on it because when I found it I thought it was a bomb 😂💣, I'm happy with this find, I think I'm very lucky to find one in this condition, where I found it I got told it was near where the war happend thank you for commenting

Upvote 4

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool recovery, dug many cells but never a glass container.
Congrats on the recovery.
Have you dug many bottles?

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Kieran225

Kieran225

Mar 6, 2021
Newcastle-upon-tyne
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20220218_181805.jpg
IMG_20220218_181805.jpg
so for valentines day I got my girlfriend some Flowers but I also cleaned all the acid out of the battery I found and gave it to my girlfriend to use as a flower vase and she absolutely loves it, I know some will not agree but it looks great in our home 🏡😊

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions