Half Dollar Bag Tease

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this is a common story but it doesn't make it any less frustrating...

After returning to one of my dump banks after a few years away, the half dollar bag filled up after just $45. When they pulled it off of the machine, some coins spilled out of a hole in the bag and I heard and saw some silver rolling around on the floor.

Naturally, with that amount of time on the bag and with how full it was I desperately wanted to buy that bag but the bank would NOT let me. It's something I will never understand. In my opinion it should be a simple swap, $1,000 for $1,000... why is it always such a problem?

Just mumblings about coin shortage, and we always ship these out to the fed, we couldn't guarantee there was exactly $1,000, normally won't do that for customers, etc. etc., but it would just be a deviation from the normal process that nobody could wrap their heads around. And these are the friendly tellers and managers I've been dealing with for years.

SO frustrating knowing there is a bag full of silver right under my nose and it's just going to be sent back out to the wild. With all of the effort ordering, picking up, and dumping boxes, to generally have very meager results, it stings watching it go to waste.

Has anyone ever had luck converting a stubborn bank that wouldn't let you buy a bag off of the machine? In my past experience, I've been exactly 0% successful.

Upvote 1

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked a few times and after getting blown off each time just forgot about it.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some banks have policies against selling bags in all instances. I have been out of the CRH game for a few years now as I have been doing other hobbies, but the main pickup bank that I bought bags from was bought out by a different bank. Even though it was the same tellers and the same branches, I could no longer buy the bags after they switched ownership.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I had two banks that would sell bags, one changed managers and they won't anymore. The other is blaming the coin shortage, as if half dollars actually circulate, and they won't sell bags at this point I am watching the half bag to see when it fills will they sell it? When it gets close I will fill it myself to see what they do

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had two banks that would sell bags, one changed managers and they won't anymore. The other is blaming the coin shortage, as if half dollars actually circulate, and they won't sell bags at this point I am watching the half bag to see when it fills will they sell it? When it gets close I will fill it myself to see what they do
Ben,

When you say 'watch the bag', does that require the teller to check the diagnostics on the machine to see how full the half dollar bag is -- or are you able to do that yourself?

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
the teller has to go to the machine and enter user and pw and it shows the percentage and total amt in the bag

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions