Half of a 2 piece military ? belt buckle

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
CKK (Chris / Kyle / Kirk) got out to a new site today. The copper skunk mobile was running on all cylinders due to the lack of the round green discs. We did manage to find a small area that had action at one time. Pewter spoon parts and such in abundance. Not much else in the 1700s era. We were working our way back to the skunk mobiles and detected the vanished barn area of an old 1700's house that adjoins the pasture. Managed to find this half of a two piece belt buckle with a nice wreath on it. Not sure about it but is probably mid 1800's by the look of it. Maybe someone out in tnet land can ID it. Maybe it's the missing part of Modern Miners North Carolina belt buckle. :laughing7:
Thanks for looking.
Chris
PIC00001-17.jpg

PIC00003-7.jpg

PIC00004-9.jpg

PIC00005-7.jpg

PIC00006-12.jpg

Attachments

• Pasture 005.JPG
    Pasture 005.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 926
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

that Bells a Cracker :o the Buckles not bad either :laughing9:

SS

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
The buckle looks to be military. Maybe CW period. I have seen those parts of buckles sell for around $700.
Nice find
Dman

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
It does look military-related, unc. I hope someone knows? :dontknow:

The "new site" skunk mobile continues for KKC..... :dontknow:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good looking pair of finds. As far as bells go that one ain't too bad. :thumbsup:

If I were a betting man I would say that is half a military buckle...just got to figure out which one.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
The "new site" skunk mobile continues for KKC..... :dontknow:

Are you kidding??? How is that considered a skunk? I would take either of those over any number of crusty coppers.

Nice finds!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad at all. Kuger is the man when it comes to those kind of buckles, hes usualy lurking. Im sure he will be along to ID it.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Dman said:
The buckle looks to be military. Maybe CW period. I have seen those parts of buckles sell for around $700.
Nice find
Dman
I'm pretty sure that is a wreath part of a military buckle.... some of those type parts like you just found can go 1000.+ you will just need to figure out what the other part is suppose to be... but I'm no expert..just surf to look stuff up alot

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I'd be digging that field up for some time. Really nice finds, the bell is very interesting because of the marks on the bottom.

As for the Buckle, I'm not sure what kind it is. Most of the Civil War 2 piece buckles I have seen have a wreath all the way around the
piece that you have.

I'm sure someone on here will come up with a correct answer for you.

HH, Ringfinder

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I think of it Chris, I have the center part that goes in one of those style buckles, it has a star on it. Maybe we can put them together make it complete. :tongue3: Now if you only had the other half of the buckle I dug today. :wink:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you dug that buckle, I stated that it could be military. :headbang: It looks like an 1850s buckle. :dontknow: We will wait for an answer, but like romeo1 said, this could be a find that beats a copper coin. :dontknow: We must re-load for next week, Unc! The "Hick Outpost" produced some decent Colonial stuff, but we need to go back to our original quotient. :wink: :hello2:

Kirk

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
No coppers but the relics make up for it :headbang: That has got to be the biggest bell that I have seen posted :o It must be buckle week here. They keep popin' up!

VPR

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buckle piece is really nice an gives you a good reason to go back there at least 1 more time to look for the other half ! I think that huge crotal bell is just awesome Too biggiest I have seen !! :headbang: :headbang: To me coins are a bonus when I am out relic Hunting MaineRelic

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!Thats one I have never seen.It is a cast brass wreath no doubt about that,and I would take those bets that it isnt military,not that it matters,that is an incredible piece.The use of the Tongue and Wreath dates back to the 1830's,and seen a spike in the 1850's.....especially in a civilian capacity.I have relayed this to my mentors and am awaiting there input :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just heard back from my buddy,(my O'Donnells book is with my cousin,and he is in Texas!)Apparently your wreath dates from 1890-1910,and is on page 247 of Odonnells book :thumbsup:

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
That is a cool part of the buckle, lets hope someone can ID it. Heck just go get the other half,that sure would be cool. Congrats :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
kuger said:
Just heard back from my buddy,(my O'Donnells book is with my cousin,and he is in Texas!)Apparently your wreath dates from 1890-1910,and is on page 247 of Odonnells book :thumbsup:

At least we have an ID now. Thanks, Kuger, for the help. :icon_thumright:

Kirk

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The buckle is cool, but even cooler to me is the intact bell! :icon_thumright: Both are great finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread