Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not many fields I can still get into but the site where I got my first gold dollar four years ago was still open. Only keeper was the cut seated half dime. Found a half cut milled half real here years ago. Only site were Ive ever found such coins and I cant recall ever seeing a intentionally cut seated anything before
3D6F8E26-0BBE-45E6-8BBE-5A29E2E42539.jpeg

Upvote 28

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well people did it to make change.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well people did it to make change.
Maybe but why then dont we find more cut US silver. Common practice in 18th century but surely not by the mid 19th. No?

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe but why then dont we find more cut US silver. Common practice in 18th century but surely not by the mid 19th. No?
yeah I'd have to agree - it is rather odd. I've never found one cut.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A 2 1/2 cent piece?? A quarter dime? Whatever it amounts to, very cool find! I've never seen one posted, ever- Congrats!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many fields I can still get into but the site where I got my first gold dollar four years ago was still open. Only keeper was the cut seated half dime. Found a half cut milled half real here years ago. Only site were Ive ever found such coins and I cant recall ever seeing a intentionally cut seated anything before View attachment 2022926
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not many fields I can still get into but the site where I got my first gold dollar four years ago was still open. Only keeper was the cut seated half dime. Found a half cut milled half real here years ago. Only site were Ive ever found such coins and I cant recall ever seeing a intentionally cut seated anything before View attachment 2022926
love that silver, half of half silvers too

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a cool recovery, congrats.

Cutting silver was done with England, Spanish silvers. But I tend to agree not American silver.
Wonder if the heavy use of copper coinage fill the need for low denomination coinage.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap that is odd. I would have guessed it was a poor area with limited small change??

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a cool recovery, congrats.

Cutting silver was done with England, Spanish silvers. But I tend to agree not American silver.
Wonder if the heavy use of copper coinage fill the need for low denomination coinage.
Funny thing is this site has not produced a single copper. Just a slick half real, half cut half real, half cut half dime and a 1852 gold $1.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Funny thing is this site has not produced a single copper. Just a slick half real, half cut half real, half cut half dime and a 1852 gold $1.
Have you found other brass/copper items? (thinking it was cherry picked over for larger coinage)
The small silvers and gold were missed.

Rich land owner possible also-didn't use coppers.

Strange but also the 4 coins were all top shelf keepers.

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you found other brass/copper items? (thinking it was cherry picked over for larger coinage)
The small silvers and gold were missed.

Rich land owner possible also-didn't use coppers.

Strange but also the 4 coins were all top shelf keepers.
Lots of mid 19thbuttons a few were military

BLACKIE555

Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 1840's thru 1850's, my town had so very little coinage that the early settlers had resort to a barter system. They pooled whatever valuables they had and formed a treasury. They built a house with a safe to protect their holdings. The home still stands. It's known locally as the Sub-Treasury. They probably turned dimes into nickles frequently. cool find......

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the 1840's thru 1850's, my town had so very little coinage that the early settlers had resort to a barter system. They pooled whatever valuables they had and formed a treasury. They built a house with a safe to protect their holdings. The home still stands. It's known locally as the Sub-Treasury. They probably turned dimes into nickles frequently. cool find......
Yes their was an acute silver coin shortage in the early 1850s as most US silver could be melted for profit until the mint got the weights right in mid 1853. Probably local shortages before and after as well but still cut US silver is something you never see

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread