Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
This coin was extensively and deeply pitted by corrosion. Like many coins in this condition, both surfaces have a random pattern of bumps and hollows obliterating the original detail. The photos show the area with several of my filled holes, the hole in which I found the coin.

A coin like this has no value except to a person interested in history like myself. I knew that it might be possible to extract enough information from it to at least get an idea of type and age but doing so would harm the coin. I decided to go as far as needed. First, I put the coin in lemon juice overnight. That removed the remaining corrosion and a little of the base metal, leaving a rough-surfaced, bright copper disc. The ghost of an image appeared on one side using this technique. Then I used fine sandpaper to improve the image. What appeared was a left-facing Brittania on the reverse with a date field below her. I was not able to read the date.

The obverse was more badly pitted by corrosion than the reverse and the treatment did not help much, although with a little imagination the ghost of a right-facing head is visible.

I photographed the coin in as-found condition, after cleaning with the corrosion remover and then after mechanical (sandpaper) scraping.

I found it hard to capture in a photograph what I could see with the coin in my hand after all the preparation, so took several with different lighting. People on the site have been amazing in discerning images on coins from photos, so maybe some of you may see something I missed or mis-identified.

Using what I can see, the coin seems to be a copper halfpenny, either 1700s British or one of the early 1800s Canadian tokens. That would fit with its corroded state and with the history of the area. There are two Loyalist-era homesteads on the mainland within 200 metres of this island site. I have found halfpennies, British and early Canadian, at these homesteads.

Attachments

• Hpenny and button site.jpg
    Hpenny and button site.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Hpenny hole 1.jpg
    Hpenny hole 1.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Hpenny hole 2.jpg
    Hpenny hole 2.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Hpenny hole 3.jpg
    Hpenny hole 3.jpg
    820.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Hpenny raw rev.jpg
    Hpenny raw rev.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • Hpenny raw obv.jpg
    Hpenny raw obv.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • Hpenny cleaned  rev.jpg
    Hpenny cleaned rev.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Hpenny cleaned  obv.jpg
    Hpenny cleaned obv.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Hpenny cleaned obv oblique.jpg
    Hpenny cleaned obv oblique.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • Hpenny obv.jpg
    Hpenny obv.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Hpenny rev Brittania left smaller.jpg
    Hpenny rev Brittania left smaller.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Hpenny rev Brittania left.jpg
    Hpenny rev Brittania left.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 10

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This coin was extensively and deeply pitted by corrosion. Like many coins in this condition, both surfaces have a random pattern of bumps and hollows obliterating the original detail. The photos show the area with several of my filled holes, the hole in which I found the coin.

A coin like this has no value except to a person interested in history like myself. I knew that it might be possible to extract enough information from it to at least get an idea of type and age but doing so would harm the coin. I decided to go as far as needed. First, I put the coin in lemon juice overnight. That removed the remaining corrosion and a little of the base metal, leaving a rough-surfaced, bright copper disc. The ghost of an image appeared on one side using this technique. Then I used fine sandpaper to improve the image. What appeared was a left-facing Brittania on the reverse with a date field below her. I was not able to read the date.

The obverse was more badly pitted by corrosion than the reverse and the treatment did not help much, although with a little imagination the ghost of a right-facing head is visible.

I photographed the coin in as-found condition, after cleaning with the corrosion remover and then after mechanical (sandpaper) scraping.

I found it hard to capture in a photograph what I could see with the coin in my hand after all the preparation, so took several with different lighting. People on the site have been amazing in discerning images on coins from photos, so maybe some of you may see something I missed or mis-identified.

Using what I can see, the coin seems to be a copper halfpenny, either 1700s British or one of the early 1800s Canadian tokens. That would fit with its corroded state and with the history of the area. There are two Loyalist-era homesteads on the mainland within 200 metres of this island site. I have found halfpennies, British and early Canadian, at these homesteads.
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm hard to say, I feel like there's enough detail to ID but can't quite place it myself. Hopefully someone recognizes it!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cool find, good luck on the ID

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odds are its an 1806/07 Halfpenny, see it those fit size & weight.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice :) If you get any more details please post any more info or pictures !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread