signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hampton Court's collision evidence

Over the years I have collected evidence that might verify that the Ubilla Capitana AKA Hampton Court actually collided with another vessel prior to its demise as what we commonly know to be the Cabin Wreck. Some of this is hearsay, some of it is borne out by magnetometry, and some of it is documented by previous discoveries.

The search for the Sebastian Inlet ballast pile was ongoing back in the day that Real 8 was in operation. Kip Wagner had nominated a wreck we know as the Pines Wreck to be a unique vessel. Frank Brawley, Sam Staples, allegedly Kane Fisher, and Rex Stocker have all looked for the phantom ballast pile. Some contributors on this forum, who shall remain unidentified per their request, know of other hard evidence that might lead one to believe in a separate ballast pile from an entirely different vessel lying within the radius of the current Cabin Wreck demarcation boundary.

In the last several months I have been preparing a book for publication written by Syd Jones. It's almost ready for release. In his book, Syd makes brief recall of his work on the 1715 fleet sites using the Magruder. Because of the Magruder's size, it could only dig in deeper water. Syd found an intact pile of ballast and some timbers in deeper water, that "even John Brandon was unaware of", in Syd's own words. This was back in the late 80's when GPS was not available and all the excavation charting was based upon sextant and Loran. However, Syd is an excellent mapper and I have obtained use of his charts which I have rectified.

To the point: I have the Damit Janet at my disposal for a 14 day dig in the area of interest. I need to raise about 20 grand for this operation. Any interested parties should give me a PM. No crew needed.

Attachments

• FullCoverRev1.gif
    FullCoverRev1.gif
    207 KB · Views: 472

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Hampton Court's collision evidence

Interesting Terry, good luck with the research. Let us know when the book comes out, I'd certainly like to read it.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Bill Elam used to spend a lot of time in that area, maybe 36 feet or so. I remember stories about a large concreted mast strap and part of a mast being uncovered. I wish you guess success Terry.

I was looking over Taffi's shoulder reading some of the book....can't wait until it's available.

Tom

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This book is a real page-turner. It is easy for all of us to point at Mel and say that we would like to have been in his shoes, but after reading this book, I can only tip my hat to everybody that was involved and say "More power to you!" What an epic!
Syd worked for Mel on and off for 18 years or so as a hired hand, not necessarily as a devotee to the Fishers, but as a devotee to the job itself. When I first read his manuscript, I understood everything he wrote, completely, and when I was done, I told him that the book left me somewhat sorrowful... because he was the one who got to write it instead of me. But, I'm still not so sure about that.
It contains lots of previously unpublished photos and a number of well executed maps depicting the discoveries as they related to one another and how the strategy for the salvage took shape.
I hope to have it available in about 2 weeks. I just finished the third galley proof yesterday afternoon and submitted a print job. If it looks reasonable, I'll put it on sale. There will be numbered pages and it has a thorough index.

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010

Would be nice to have it ready at the cookout . Cornelius

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008

Over the past 8 years i have conducted a very detailed mag study on the Cabin site. I located the ballast pile that Syd found and i dug the hell out of it. I found musket balls and a few timbers and a piece of the keel and some spikes. Out to sea of this ballast pile i found another smaller pile of broken ballast with a couple of mortar balls and more spikes and timbers.

I did have a sub-metered DGPS and a cesium mag and I mapped the wreck out in detail that no one has ever seen before. The ballast piles are all in line with the way the cabin site was pushed into the beach. I do believe there are still areas on the Cabin site that contain lots of Silver but Syd's ballast area is not one of them.

It is an interesting theory that the Capitana and the Almiranta collided and i would love to come across some archival research that mentions this. Maybe that's why the Capitana was full of water before it sank? I did come across some research one time that mentioned that the Almiranta saw the Capitana pass them when they were getting blown down from the north in the storm and i do have very strong evidence that the Almiranta was at anchor just before it came apart. I do believe that if they did collide that there would have been more written about this in Salmon's letters or some of the survivors.

I also came across some research that indicates that the Hampton Court was Echeverez's Capitana and not Ubillas. I guess only time will tell.

I'm looking forward to reading Syd's book!

Good luck in your venture!!!

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Greg:
I love to share, but I never give away all of my candy. Neither do you.
You'll love Syd's book!

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic

Hi Terry,

When the book is out, please, do not forget to purchase for me one copy. I would definitely love to read it! Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lobo

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

It should make the "Best Sellers List" so count me in for a copy too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions